Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hill behind Ginkakuji 2016/8/11 15:16
Hi to All.

Those who have experienced/toured inside Ginkakuji http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3907.html, how did you reach the hill behind the building for the view as shown in the link? Is it possible not to enter the temple and wander around the grounds then garden then hills for the view?

Appreciate your feedback. Thanks.
by stikiting  

Re: Hill behind Ginkakuji 2016/8/12 09:59
The photo was taken from within the paid area.

There are various hiking trails in the western mountains of Kyoto, but I doubt that there are any viewpoints along the way that allow you for views into Ginkakuji similar to the photo on the page.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Hill behind Ginkakuji 2016/8/12 11:13
There is a path up the hill, part of the trail through the garden. I don't recall from my last visit if the trees obscured the view or not, but the walk is pleasant, and it is nice because it is not as crowded as Kinkakuji.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Hill behind Ginkakuji 2016/8/12 11:30
That is part of the garden walk. You take the path to the left and walk all the way around and up the hill and back down and end up on the right side of the entrance. I have a similar photo I took when I went.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Hill behind Ginkakuji 2016/8/12 13:09
Thanks @Uji, @JapanCustomTours and @John B digs Japan for the information. It is good to know that this is part of the garden. I now imagine the directions where I will be going.

If the hill is part of the paid area, does that mean I cannot enter the grounds before the Ginkakuji's operating time? May you clarify please.

What I am planning is to get there before operating time if possible, wander through the gardens up the hill. Otherwise, I'll start at its operating time. Then I will have to proceed with Eastern Kyoto full-day walk transcribed here http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3950_eastern_kyoto_full.html I am not even sure if the projected times there include eating in between. A little bit tight plus I will be coming from Osaka so I really have to get to Kyoto at an earliest time possible. Right after finishing the itinerary, I am also planning to return to Eikando in the evening for the autumn illumination event.

I even have to move this a day after the national holiday there foreseeing the influx of travellers that day. Reality is that Kyoto never gone out of influx of tourists.
by stikiting rate this post as useful

Re: Hill behind Ginkakuji 2016/8/12 13:13
If the hill is part of the paid area, does that mean I cannot enter the grounds before the Ginkakuji's operating time? May you clarify please.

You cannot go there outside of the temple's opening hours.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Hill behind Ginkakuji 2016/8/12 13:30
Thanks @Uji for the feedback. I really have to start at operating time.
by stikiting rate this post as useful

reply to this thread