Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kiso Valley in November 2016/8/12 14:54
Hi all,

I'm planning to stop over at Kiso Valley in between the Tokyo-Osaka trip, either on 11 Nov or 16 Nov. Will this date be the autumn season in Kiso valley?

Considering leaving on 11 Nov from Tokyo, I would like to have some opinion whether the routes are achievable:

A. Tokyo to Magome, walk to Tsumago, leave for Shin Osaka
B. Tokyo to Magome, walk to Tsumago, stay overnight. Leave for Shin-Osaka the next day.
C. Tokyo to Narai, move to Magome, stay overnight. The next morning walk to Tsumago, leave for Osaka.

Thank you
by Moccy  

Re: Kiso Valley in November 2016/8/12 18:50
I'm planning to stop over at Kiso Valley in between the Tokyo-Osaka trip, either on 11 Nov or 16 Nov. Will this date be the autumn season in Kiso valley?

It is generally not a bad timing. Maybe a little late in the upper areas of the valley (Narai). It depends on the year and area. Generally speaking: not too bad timing.

All three options are possible. But I recommend to do it in a geographically more meaningful order: Tsumago before Magome.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Kiso Valley in November 2016/8/12 19:02
Thank you, Uji.
I've seen some reviews which recommends Magome as start point as the route is easier (downhill vs uphill if starting from Tsumago). I don't have issue with going uphill.

Do you think it is worth to spend a night at Tsumago or Magome? Which town is usually preferrable?
by Moccy rate this post as useful

Re: Kiso Valley in November 2016/8/12 19:07
I have never stayed in Magome, but staying overnight in Tsumago was very nice. Frankly, I think it depends more on the lodging than the town.

As for the hike, I think it is relatively easy in either direction. I don't think the direction makes too much of a difference. But people who do not usually walk these type of distances may prefer to do it in the direction that you recommended.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Kiso Valley in November 2016/8/13 05:21
Out of the two towns I thought Magome was prettier (really nice views) and had more of a rustic feel. I dont know what the accomodation is like there, but if I was going to go back I'd stay at Magome. There isnt much to do in either town, though.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kiso Valley in November 2016/8/19 18:13
Uji and Lazy Pious, thank you for the advise.
Unfortunately there is only a ryokan which accept single traveller but the review is not very good, so I'll do it as day trip.
by Moccy rate this post as useful

reply to this thread