Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Volcanoe disruptions at Mt Aso 2016/8/14 18:04
Hyperdia is now not showing any direct trains from Kumamoto to Aso or from Aso to Beppu. Is volcanoe damage likely to be rectified by October this year. Anyone knows whats going on there, or alternative transport available.
by Paul Tracey Sydney (guest)  

Re: Volcanoe disruptions at Mt Aso 2016/8/14 18:23
Trains between Kumamoto and Aso are not running due to damage from the April earthquake. But trains are running between Aso and Beppu. More details are here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/news/0035.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Volcanoe disruptions at Mt Aso 2016/8/14 18:40
Just so you are aware also. Access to Mt Aso is currently prohibited due to road damage.

The rail line between Kumamoto and Aso will not be fixed any time soon. A huge landslide destroyed a large area and will be a mammoth engineering job to fix.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Volcanoe disruptions at Mt Aso 2016/8/15 16:49
Thanks for the rail disruption comments . Does anyone know if we can still get from Kumamoto yo Aso by taxi or bus/car. Paul
by Paul Tracey (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Volcanoe disruptions at Mt Aso 2016/8/15 18:42
Yes. But there is limited services. Again in 11 months with recovery, this should improve.

Re: Volcanoe disruptions at Mt Aso 2016/8/15 21:19
Just a bit confused but is it possible at all to visit the Aso area?

I have seen pictures of the bridge as well as the fallen shrine gate and understand the area is sparsingly traversable these days.

Are there any quakes still felt in the area?
by Ponchi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Volcanoe disruptions at Mt Aso 2016/8/17 21:40
I have found the answers myself on the internet. A bus service replaces almost all the rail line damage areas near Aso. The train from Kumamoto runs to Higo Ozu (which is the nearest station to the airport) then the bus runs from Higo Ozu to Aso, stopping at 6 of the eight rail stations affected. The bus seems to run to Aso maybe 8 or 9 times per day, but not at all on weekends. It comes back from Aso, I think 10 times a day. It meets the railway timetable at Higo Ozu, back to Kumamoto.
by Paul Tracey (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Volcanoe disruptions at Mt Aso 2016/8/18 04:10
Say, I saw terrible pictures of the bridge west of mt Aso that had completely colapsed into the river along with a huge section of the mountain and road west of there.

Did the railway "disappear" as well in this mess? I have not been able to find any pictures other than some taken to Google Street View in April...

by Gong (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Volcanoe disruptions at Mt Aso 2016/8/18 09:14
Plenty of image exist with a google search:-

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=kumamoto+landslide&rlz=1C1GGGE___AU...

Yes the rail line is in there. It ran parallel to the road

reply to this thread