Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Review My plan 2016/8/18 17:27
Hi,
I will be traveling to Japan in September 6th evening landing via kansai airport, I will be there for 18 days, I will be staying in Osaka and tokyo, and I will do daily trip to different locations, accordingly I have put the following plan,
1. 6/September Osaka
2. 7/September Osaka
3. 8/September Kyoto
4. 9/September Kyoto
5. 10/September nara
6. 11/September hiroshima (day trip)
7. 12/September mt koya (sleep there)
8. 13/September tokyo
9. 14/September kamakura (day trip)
10. 15/September nikkou (day trip)
11. 16/September kanazawa (day trip)
12. 17/September takayama (day trip)
13. 18/September hakone (day trip)
14. 19/September tokyo
15. 20/September tokyo
16. 21/September tokyo
17. 22/September tokyo
18. 23/September tokyo
19. 24/September tokyo

So what you think guys ?
shall I be JR pass for 14 days or 7 days ?
Am thinking to buy kansai pass since I will be there arund 8 days ?
looking for your valuable inputs
thanks
by Abbas (guest)  

Re: Review My plan 2016/8/18 18:09
I would re-arrange some of the days so you can use a 7 day pass. And with the savings, stay the night at either Kanazawa and/or Takayama. Both are not good options for day trips from Tokyo due to the 3+ hours of one way travel.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Review My plan 2016/8/18 18:15
Whatever happens, you're going to need a 7 day RP from 11/9 - 17/9.

You could use a Kansai pass for the days prior to that but note that your RP won't cover the journey to and from Koya; you should get another pass for the return journey from Namba in Osaka to Koyasan.

I also think that trying to do a day trip to Takayama from Tokyo is a bit hopeful. It'll take over 4 hours each way so you won't have a lot of time for sightseeing.

For the day after a 7 day RP ends (18/9) you could use the Hakone Freepass from Shinjuku.
by Saru Bob (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Review My plan 2016/8/18 19:07
hi there,

you have picked some great destinations - im sure you'll have a great time.
I do think that the itinerary flow is not very efficient.

I would suggest to adjust as per following:

1. 6/September Osaka
2. 7/September mt koya (leave luggage at osaka hotel)
3. 8/September Osaka
4. 9/September Kyoto
5. 10/September Kyoto (nara day trip)
6. 11/September hiroshima
7. 12/September Onomichi (casual cycling seto inland sea)
8. 13/September Kyoto (check out Himeji castle on way to Kyoto)
9. 14/September hakone
10. 15/September Kamakura (yokohama day trip??)
11. 16/September tokyo (nikko day trip)
12. 17/September takayama (stay night)
13. 18/September shirakawago (stay night)
14. 19/September tokyo (via Kanazawa day trip)
15. 20/September tokyo
16. 21/September tokyo
17. 22/September tokyo
18. 23/September tokyo
19. 24/September tokyo

I hope this helps :)

by AussieRonnie rate this post as useful

Re: Review My plan 2016/8/18 19:51
Hi
Thanks guys really...helpful
But AussieRonnie, do u recommend 7 or 14 days ?
by ABBAS (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Review My plan 2016/8/18 20:44
14 day pass :)

Re: Review My plan 2016/8/18 22:18
OK, I think I'm going to recommend that you do not get a JR 7 or 14 day pass, but I need to know what airport you will leave Japan from.

First off, the 7 day JR pass works out to just over 4000 yen/day. so if there is a day where you are going to spend less that that, I'm not sure it is worth getting for that day. You first day is probably going to be getting from the Kansai Airport (KIX), to your hotel room in Osaka, and that may be it. If you stay in somewhere with interesting attractions nearby, you will just have to pay for the Airport transfer that day. There are several transport options to the Namba district for about 1000 yen.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2033.html

There are several bundled passes for visiting some of the tourist attractions like Nikko, Hakone, and Mount Koya. I would get these, even if you plan to get a Jr Pass.

Many attractions, like the ones I have listed, and some cities, such as Kyoto and Hiroshima, will have privately owned operators that you will have to use. The bus service in Kyoto is better to get you many attractions around the city, and the trolley system in Hiroshima will get you back and forth from Peace Park. Since Hiroshima is a day trip, and if you plan to visit Miyajima Island, you may only need the Hiroshima trolley for one trip, Peace Park to Hiroshima Station. You may want to get a day pass for the bus system in Kyoto, but your might just pay for the one trip on the trolley in Hiroshima.

Anyway... Mount Koya train and cablecar are run by the Nankai private line, get the Koyasan Heritage Pass. Nikko is served by the Tobu private line, and once again, get a Heritage Pass. Hakone is several operators operating the five different mode of transport around the "Round Coarse" (train, bus, cable car, ropeway, and boat). Get the Hakone pass that covers then all. The Nikko and the Hakone passes have different "flavors", so choose the one that is most appropriate to you. Here are some links:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2358_012.html
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2358_002.html
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2358_008.html

As for your plan, I would move things around a bit. I would go to Osaka first, and then visit Mount Koya. I would recommend staying in Namba in Osaka to begin with. Jet lag does different things to people, and the Minami may work on the first day.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4001.html

You can get from KIX to Namba using the Nankai direct train or by bus.

Getting around a city, be it Osaka, Kyoto, or Tokyo can be done with an IC card for just a few trips, or a day pass. Tokyo might be the exception because of the JR Yamanote Loop, and in some places Osaka, but in general, if you plan to go to several locations, a day pass will run you less than 1000 yen. Here is a link to IC cards:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2359_003.html

I depends on what you have planned to do that day. If, for instance, you are at Namba in Osaka, and your plan is to go to Universal Studios, and spend the entire day there, Use the IC card to pay for JR-Namba Station to Universalcity Station, which will cost you 180 yen each way. You transportation cost is 360 yen. If, on the other hand, you plan to go to Osaka Aquarium, Osaka Castle, Umeda Sky Observatory, and Shitennogi Temple, then get a pass.

Some of this could be covered by the JR Pass, for instance, the round trip from JR-Namba Station to UniversalCity Station, so your 4000/day pass can cover a day which costs 360 yen, but other places, such as getting to Osaka Aquarium, will not be covered. You have to use the Chou subway line.

After Namba and Mount Moya, I think that a Jr Kansai Hiroshima Pass will get you to Hiroshima and back, to Kyoto, nara, and a side trip to Himeji or Kobe. There is also a possibility of going to a hot springs resort or onsen, such as Kinosaki Onsen, Kii-Katsuura, or Shirahara, before the pass expires. This pass is 13,000 yen for five days. Here is a link:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361_kansai_hiroshima.html

This still leaves getting to Kanazawa, Takayama, and Tokyo. I would work for Kanazawa and Takayama. There is the JR Takayama Hokuriku Area tourist pass, which will allow you to take the bus from Kanazawa to Takayama through Shirakawa-go (spend some time here). From here, you could take the Nohi bus from Takayama to Tokyo, or use the Pass to get to Nagoya, and get a discount Shinkansen ticket to Tokyo. The Nohi highway bus take about the same amount of time to get to Shinjuku in Tokyo, and you would not have to switch trains with your luggage twice. The bus is 6,690 yen:

https://www.nouhibus.co.jp/english/

This may not be the best option, if you have to get back to KIX for your flight. If this is the case, switch the Kansai Hokuriku and the Nohi bus for a Hokuriku Arch Pass, and use the Nohi bus system for a day trip from Kanazawa to Takayama. A final Link:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361_arch.html

This could take some time for you to digest. If you could tell me which airport that you plan to exit Japan from, and when you are going, I could be more specific.
by ebaychucky311 rate this post as useful

Re: Review My plan 2016/8/18 22:52
A 7-day JR Pass would pay off already if OP uses it from day 5 to 11, doesn't it?
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Review My plan 2016/8/18 23:25
If you move Mount Koya earlier, then a seven day pass could cover the day trips to Hiroshima, Kanazawa, Takayama, Nikko, Kamakura, Hakone (Tokyo to Odawara part), and end up in Tokyo. I don't know if the poster needs together back to KIX at the end of the trip.

I also don't see some of these as 'day trips'. The train trip from Tokyo to Takayama is about four and a half hours each way. This will not give much time at Takayama to see much.

Re: Review My plan 2016/8/18 23:55
I also believe with discount airfare, such as Peach Air, that can get you from Tokyo NRT to KIX for around 4,000 yen, you use some of these airfares for the distance travel can also change the passes you get.

Re: Review My plan 2016/8/20 01:31
Hi
Thanks guys really...helpful
But AussieRonnie, do u recommend 7 or 14 days ?
by ABBAS (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Review My plan 2016/8/20 18:14
First, thank you so much guys,
you really did great help, specially ebaychucky311 you offer vast information, that i was unaware of it really grateful, I believe I will take 7days JR pass,
So I will list the updated plan, and please let me know yours inputs

1. 6/September Osaka kansai airport
2. 7/September Osaka [ Osaka One-Day Pass ]
3. 8/September Osaka [ Osaka One-Day Pass ]
Staying in chuo ward, 1.5 km walk to dontonbori road
Things to do:
1. umeda sky
2. osaka aquarium
3.osaka castel
4.dontonbori
5. shotengai
6. hozen temple
7. museums
8. shinsaibashi
4. 9/September to koyasan (night)
5. 10/September kyoto [kyoto pass for bus ]
6. 11/September kyoto [kyoto pass for bus ]
7. 12/September kyoto [kyoto pass for bus ]
1.ryonji temple
2. Kinkaku-ji
3. arayashi, monkey
4.kyomizu-dera, higashiyama
3. gion
4.nishiki market
5.shijo kawaramachi
6. nara (day trip)
8. 13/September hiroshima (night) [ JR pass ]
around hiroshima, miyajima
9. 14/September takayama (night) using [ JR pass ]
10. 15/September takayama (night)
around takayama, visit shirakawa day trip
11. 16/September tokyo [ JR pass ]
12. 17/September tokyo nikko (day trip) [ JR pass ]
13. 18/September tokyo kamakura (day trip) [ JR pass ]
14. 19/September tokyo hakone (day trip) [ JR pass ]
15. 20/September tokyo yokohama (day trip)
16. 21/September tokyo (suica)
17. 22/September tokyo (suica)
18. 23/September tokyo (suica)
19. 24/September tokyo narita airport

am not sure about yokohama visit, maybe I will cancel it...
please share your opinions
regards
by Abbas (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Review My plan 2016/8/20 18:46
itinerary is fine.

I would be careful of only using buses in Kyoto. The subways and private railway get you around a lot quicker. It will depend on your daily movement to what options will work best for you.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Review My plan 2016/8/20 19:37
This looks a lot better. You could include a day trip from Tokyo to Kanazawa, now that the shinkanzen goes there. It is about a two and a half hour trip each way from Tokyo.

If you do that, move Hakone or Nikko out of the time you have an active JR pass. If you decide to move Harkone, get the Hakone package, with tranport from Tokyo and back. Slip Yokohama in on your way back from Kamakura.

The JR to Nikko direct limited express train from Shinjuku uses the Tobu private rail tracks, so there is a private rail surcharge that you will have to pay, if you use this train on a JR pass. Nikko might be the better one to move.

I also think that you should get the IC card at the beginning of you trip, so get the ICOCA card at KIX.

You plan is getting better.

Re: Review My plan 2016/8/20 19:45
your latest itinerary looks pretty solid! good job. i think you could squeeze in yokohama on the return of either your hakone or kamakura day trip, depending on how much you want to see and how active you are during the day. safe travels :D

Re: Review My plan 2016/9/2 04:19
Hi guys,
I am Finalizing my plan,
I have a last question
about Hakone or Nikko...
I have last day in JR Pass ... which one I should include in JR pass period ...
Hakone pass will cost around 5140 yen
Nikko Pass...they have various type..
Both of them are day trip from tokyo...
looking 4 help...
by Abbas (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread