Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Suggestions for the seasoned visitor 2016/8/22 03:08
I'm looking for suggestions for the seasoned visitor, I've done the touristy things and visited all the better known destinations from Nagasaki, Beppu, Hiroshima, Miyajima, Onomichi, Matsuyama, Tawarayama Onsen, Osaka, Kyoto, Nara, Kobe, Koyasan, Nagoya, Takayama, Shirakawa-go, Kanazawa, Matsue, Gifu, Greater Tokyo area, Kawagoe, Chichibu, Nagano, Nikko, Sendai, Yamadera, Naruko, Shiogama, Matsushima, Hanamaki, Tono, Akita, Furano and Biei during my visits about every two years over the last 20 years or so. This winter we will be for 4 weeks in Japan again and we will be spending New Year and doing hatsumode with friends.

We love onsen (Seni Onsen Iwanoyu is the best!), temple stays (Taiyo-ji is the best!) and nature (Kamikochi!) and like getting up early and joining morning ceremonies at Buddhist temples. I walked the Chichibu 34 Kannon Temple pilgrimage. Biei and surroundings in the snow last winter was awesome.
We're less interested in yet another big city, more interested in the cultural experience.
This winter we will be spending time in the Saitama area and in Iwate. We plan on taking the new Shinkansen from Shin-Hanamaki and popping over to Hakodate and maybe visit Sapporo.

So, within that context, what would you suggest we ought to do to make this trip special and why? Like I said, we're especially interested in suggestions for cultural things. We are mobile, we usually rent cars if need be and we speak, read and write Japanese.
by Hoshisato  

Re: Suggestions for the seasoned visitor 2016/8/22 12:57

Unsure if you have visited Tsurunoyu, winter could be the best time to enjoy the onsens.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3650.html
by lostintranslation (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Suggestions for the seasoned visitor 2016/8/22 13:03
Why not fly down to Okinawa and the Yaeyama Islands? Winter is not the best time but it isn't bad either. You can easily get there dirt cheap on a low cost carrier like Jet Star or Peach.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Suggestions for the seasoned visitor 2016/8/22 14:53
Another vote for Nyuto Onsen. Being in a rotenburo in the snow is magical. Also, how about the Kii Peninsula (Kumano Area) in Wakayama? The river onsen in kawayu is amazing and only open in winter. Nearby in yunomine Onsen there's the only UNESCO-listed onsen.
I'd also highly recommend seeing more of Shikoku, such as Iya Onsen, Kompirasan, Takayama, etc.
by Sal1980 rate this post as useful

Re: Suggestions for the seasoned visitor 2016/8/22 15:02

If you are willing to splash out a wee bit, try Takefue in Kurokawa onsen.
by shinji (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Suggestions for the seasoned visitor 2016/8/22 15:56
Perhaps you can try the Noto Peninsula. It's great nature, landscape and temple.
It's recommended to rent a car but I don't know how it's like in winter time!!
by nekochan07 rate this post as useful

Re: Suggestions for the seasoned visitor 2016/8/22 17:35
I've visited Nyuto onsen a few years ago, was indeed great; but a winter visit might be a good reason to revisit.

Thanks for the suggestions, any more ideas?
by Hoshisato rate this post as useful

Re: Suggestions for the seasoned visitor 2016/8/22 17:47
Only covered about half of Japan so far. I'd have a look at the options on the maps in this website to see what you have missed. off the top of my head:-

North and south Kyushu
North Chugoku and San'in region
All of Shikoku
Wakayama + Mie regions
Biwako + Otsu
Shizuoka
North Tohoku
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Suggestions for the seasoned visitor 2016/8/22 22:20
@hataka, your lack of knowledge is showing. Akita is in northern Tohoku. Matsuyama is in Shikoku. Maybe you should study some more travel agent books.
by chanto yonde kudasai (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Suggestions for the seasoned visitor 2016/8/24 02:50
I'm not really aiming to cover all of Japan; I'm hoping for suggestions that are obscure yet worthwhile (I know, it sounds impossible but I bet there are plenty of awesome places that never make the tourists guides and the collective knowledge of the Japan-Guide forum is the perfect place to wheedle them out, I'm sure) :-)

Re: Suggestions for the seasoned visitor 2016/8/24 03:55
For instance, I heard about an onsen that is half-way up a mountain in Aomori and has no electricity and is lit by kerosene lamps.
If you could point me to that or something similar, I would be grateful.

Re: Suggestions for the seasoned visitor 2016/8/24 04:25
by William5 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread