Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Suggestions for my 2 weeks Itinerary in Japan 2016/8/22 14:05
We are planning to visit Japan from 12th -26th November and travelling as couple. It would be a budget travel and would like to visit the scenic places in Japan. Our current Itinerary below:

DAYS DATES SIGHT SEEING DESTINATION OVERNIGHT STAY
Day 1 12th Nov Tokyo Tokyo
Day 2 13th Nov Takayama Takayama
Day 3 14th Nov Kamikochi Shirakawa Go
Day 4 15th Nov Shirakawa Go kanazawa
Day 5 16th Nov Alpine route kanazawa
Day 6 17th Nov Kyoto Kyoto
Day 7 18th Nov Kyoto Kyoto
Day 8 19th Nov Kyoto Kyoto
Day 9 20th Nov Osaka Osaka
Day 10 21st Nov Mount Koya Osaka
Day 11 22nd Nov Kinosaki Osaka
Day 12 23rd Nov Osaka Osaka
Day 13 24th Nov Fuji Five Lakes Fuji Five Lakes
Day 14 25th Nov Tokyo Tokyo
Day 15 26th Nov Tokyo Tokyo

Questions:

1. Kamikochi closes on the 15th and we are going on the 14th Nov. Would you recommend a visit?
2. Planning to visit only till Murado in the Alpine route and that too only for autumn colors. Recommended?
3. I am planning to take the Takayama - Hokuriku Area Tourist Pass for commutations between Takayama to Kyoto. And regional passes for travel in Kyoto, Osaka and Tokyo. Do I still need to take the JR Rail pass as it would only cover only Tokyo to Takayama and Osaka - Fuji Five Lakes - Tokyo in parts. If I take buses for the 3 trip I only spend about 17k Yen. So does the 7 day JR Pass at 30k Yen make sense for my trip?
4. Any other comments on the overall itinerary will also be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.
by Muthukumaran D (guest)  

Re: Suggestions for my 2 weeks Itinerary in Japan 2016/8/22 16:43
Day 2 13th Nov Kamikochi Takayama
Day 3 14th Nov Takayama Shirakawa Go
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Suggestions for my 2 weeks Itinerary in Japan 2016/8/22 18:58
Thanks. Any particular reason why you want to swap? Also would be able to comment on JR Rail Pass?
Thanks,
Muthu
by Muthukumaran D (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Suggestions for my 2 weeks Itinerary in Japan 2016/8/23 17:32
Because Kamokochi is in between Tokyo and Takayama.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Suggestions for my 2 weeks Itinerary in Japan 2016/8/23 18:39
Re: the rail pass, you've already done the calculations - surely you can make a judgement call? 17k vs. 30k seems like a pretty obvious choice...

There's also this calculator: http://www.aoimirai.net/japan/jrpass_calculator.html
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Rail passes 2016/8/23 21:04
Regarding cost-effectiveness of rail passes,
there seems to be a common misconception to think
as if it were always possible to tell the total JR regular cost by adding up JR fees for each leg,
which may result in purchasing needlessly a JR pass which would not pay off during a specific itinerary.
by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: Suggestions for my 2 weeks Itinerary in Japan 2016/8/25 13:53
Thanks hakata14. I am being told Kamikochi and Alpine route are almost the same and I should pick either one rather than both. What do you think?

Re: Suggestions for my 2 weeks Itinerary in Japan 2016/8/25 13:57
Thanks SQ. The link you shared is a wonderful tip. Quite useful. One more silly question. The JR passes definitely cannot be used on Local subway lines within Tokyo,Kyoto or Osaka right?

Re: Suggestions for my 2 weeks Itinerary in Japan 2016/8/25 14:01
Thanks Omotenashi. So you think for my travel which can be mostly covered by buses doesnt require JR Pass. Correct?
Also can you share your thoughts on Kamikochi or Alpine ? And Kinosaki or an equally good Onsen somewhere closer to any of town I stay?

Re: Suggestions for my 2 weeks Itinerary in Japan 2016/8/25 16:04
Arima is near Kinosaki. Katsura onsen to my mind is very peaceful.
Certain Shirakawa-go and Takayama accomodations has onsen.

JR Pass can be used on JR subways. E.g. the circle line in Tokyo and the line from Kyoto station to JR Arashiyama station (this is not normal rail though).

Kamikochi has more walking and nature. Alpine route, you are just peeking out the windows of various vehicles.

It can be covered by buses. But buses are usually slower. A combination or both seems to be right. Mostly trains (shinkansens) for inter city travel.
by jh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Suggestions for my 2 weeks Itinerary in Japan 2016/8/25 17:50
JR Pass can be used on JR subways. E.g. the circle line in Tokyo and the line from Kyoto station to JR Arashiyama station (this is not normal rail though).

The Yamanote Line is nothing like a subway.

Kyoto to Saga-Arashiyama is normal rail line.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Rail Passes 2016/8/26 03:20
Regarding cost-effectiveness of rail passes,
there seems to be a common misconception to think
as if it were always possible to tell the total JR regular cost by adding up JR fees for each leg,
which may result in purchasing needlessly a JR pass which would not pay off during a specific itinerary.

I wonder what kind of logic is that. If the fees you would pay are bigger than the JR pass cost, why wouldn't the pass be worth it, not to mention the ease of use?
by Caiobrz rate this post as useful

Re: Suggestions for my 2 weeks Itinerary in Japan 2016/8/26 03:30
I think what they mean is, not necessarily all routes accept JRPass. In my case the trips to kamikochi and from there till kanazawa is not covered. So I anyways have to buy another pass. So buying a JRPass saves on all travel is misconception.

Re: Suggestions for my 2 weeks Itinerary in Japan 2016/8/26 04:57
I think what they mean is, not necessarily all routes accept JRPass. In my case the trips to kamikochi and from there till kanazawa is not covered. So I anyways have to buy another pass. So buying a JRPass saves on all travel is misconception.

It is very clear that the JR-pass covers only JR lines. I don't see where the misconception lies if people can't understand that very basic information.
by Caiobrz rate this post as useful

reply to this thread