Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Considering cancelling my trip (SEPT) 2016/8/23 02:12
Hi there,

Going to Japan in September for my second time.

First time I went in May and it was always sunny, not too hot, and no rain.

I've booked my trip entirely from Sept 7 - 19th and now I'm kind of regretting it due to the rainy weather in September.

I know there's no way to predict the weather, but if its gonna be wet the whole time I may not go.

What do you think?
by Ryan1337  

Re: Considering cancelling my trip (SEPT) 2016/8/23 09:49
Depends on your plans. If you are wanting to come here and spend the whole time outside then it's probably best to give it a miss. That's if the prospect of a wet holiday is that bad for you. If it were me I would just come and buy an umbrella. I think you've got to have a pretty strong aversion to rain to let it be the difference between a good holiday and a miserable one. It's perfectly easy to have a nice time even if it does rain the whole time.
by Liz (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Considering cancelling my trip (SEPT) 2016/8/23 10:41
I've been over twice in September. Once it drizzled a little but was fine to get about in. The other time it was scorching hot, like 35 celsius plus with gorgeous blue skies.

While I appreciate the risk of typhoons, I'd have thought you'd have more risk of being trapped inside due to heat than rain.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Considering cancelling my trip (SEPT) 2016/8/23 11:00
I get so many mixed stories about September.

I want to spend time outside in Japan, of course. I plan on visiting Sugakuin Imperial Villa (booked), Osaka Castle, Nara, Arashiyama, Golden Temple, Lake Kawaguchi, and just walking around Tokyo in jeans and a polo with sunglasses. Just have a good time.

I use my GPS on my phone, so having to hold an umbrella all the time would suck.

Then again I hear people saying the weather is decent in September.

I should probably just bite the bullet and go. I have friends awaiting me and I have the JR Pass, Pocket Wi-Fi, Yen, and hotels booked. Haha
by Ryan1337 rate this post as useful

Re: Considering cancelling my trip (SEPT) 2016/8/23 11:12
It's only rain.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Considering cancelling my trip (SEPT) 2016/8/23 12:03
Would you seriously cancel a trip because you find it a hassle to hold an umbrella?
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Considering cancelling my trip (SEPT) 2016/8/23 12:11

Sept is not as bad a June or July. Just sing in the rain ! And go!
by lostintranslation (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Considering cancelling my trip (SEPT) 2016/8/23 12:39
We went in June/July this year and I was worried about the weather. We had some rain but also lots of great days, and the best thing about going when others are staying away, is that places aren't too crowded! Enjoy your trip.
by Ausfam (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Considering cancelling my trip (SEPT) 2016/8/23 14:48
um, really?

It rained yesterday (tropical storm passing through), but it was decidedly sunny when I went out this morning and while I have local thunderstorms forecast for "now" it is still fine.

In my previous Septembers it has been mainly dry (and hot), so I'm not sure where your rain forecast is coming from.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Considering cancelling my trip (SEPT) 2016/8/23 14:52
And just for a little context, I've spend most of the last three months enjoying Tokyo's summer (some Saitama, Yokohama, Chichibu, down to Odawara/Mishima.) The rainy season wasn't rainy, and the last few weeks has been mostly sunny.

For the beginning of September I am expecting some additional rain, but it's not all day - maybe overnight, maybe an hour or two. Carry an umbrella.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Considering cancelling my trip (SEPT) 2016/8/25 07:11
Just buy a cheap 500yen umbrella when it rains and then just leave it at your hotel. Repeat when needed.

September should be fine. I was there during the rainy season June and it was not to bad with the umbrella.

Hope this helps!!!
Have fun!!!!
by Koohii2wii rate this post as useful

reply to this thread