Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Dimensions of buildings and classroom items 2016/8/25 10:20
I'm creating a game based in Japan but cannot find anything on dimensions of high school classrooms. What I'm looking for are:

- Wall heights
- Door heights
- Desk dimensions
- Chair dimensions
- Podium dimensions

I'm also looking for info on modern house/apartment dimensions. Previously I had researched that the wall height of an average apartment is 2.4m, with the door height being 1.8 to 2m, but this turned out to be absurdly low in-game--a character of around 1.8m could barely fit through the door. Evidently I made some sort of mistake here but am failing to find other resources for reference. Can anyone point me in the right direction for this?

Just to list that out:
- Wall heights
- Door heights
- Average apartment size (sq cm)
- Average house size

This info would also be appreciated for older Japanese homes. Thanks for any help!
by ymiaw  

Re: Dimensions of buildings and classroom items 2016/8/26 00:38
Nah, you've got the right dimensions. My husband is over 180cm tall and if he forgets to stoop down, will hit his head on the door frames here. Anything built 30-40 years ago (a category which will include most high schools in Japan) have low doorways. These days new construction has raised the height of the doors, but if you're looking for traditional then you've got the dimensions already.

Your average heights and sizes will vary wildly depending on where the house is located and when it was built. I think (new) houses in my area tend to be 30-40 tsubo (dunno what that translates to but you can look it up) for a 2-4 person family (if 2 stories, 3-4 rooms upstairs, living/dining/kitchen and washroom/bath and small tatami room downstairs for example).
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: Dimensions of buildings and classroom items 2016/8/26 01:46
High school classroom measurements in Japan are pretty much the same as those in the U.S. I used to attend a U.S. public junior high classroom on a weekly basis, and I've seen a lot of high schools in Japan because I'm Japanese. From what I notice through movies, U.S. high school classrooms are pretty much the same size as those in Western Europe too. But I'm talking about homeroom classrooms. Classrooms for things like chemistry, music and cooking tend to be bigger.

I'm also looking for info on modern house/apartment dimensions.

I just measured our room door and it was exactly 2m high.

a character of around 1.8m could barely fit through the door.

Even younger Japanese grown men are generally in their 170s, and it's not unusual to see taller people, athletes and foreigners in particular, nod whenever they're passing through a home door.

- Average apartment size (sq cm)

They come in all different sizes. How many people are living there? Is he rich or is he a student? Is the area a city or rural? It's not normal for a high school student to live without his family, though.

- Average house size

Same as above, but it's extremely unusual for a student to live all alone in a whole house.

This info would also be appreciated for older Japanese homes.

It depends on when and where it was built on what budget. For example, rich farmers tend to have very big houses. But generally speaking, Japanese houses and apartments don't last for more than three decades.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Dimensions of buildings and classroom items 2016/8/26 04:23
Thanks for measuring your door! While I haven't been to a US school, it's nice to know that it's around the same--for some reason I'd always felt that Japanese desks were smaller but maybe that was a misconception.

Interesting that people have to nod under their doors--the home tours on youtube seem to show people not having much of a height issue with those. Is it rare to have door heights exceeding 2m, like 2.4m with an even higher wall?

I'm looking for an average apartment size in the Shinjuku area. Low to average income for a two-person home?

Great info about homes in general, thanks again.
by ymiaw rate this post as useful

Re: Dimensions of buildings and classroom items 2016/8/26 08:30
1.8 meters is a standard in the old measurement.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Dimensions of buildings and classroom items 2016/8/26 09:16
Hi again, and sorry I didn't recognize scareddragon's post before mine. Some contents may have been similar and duplicated.

for some reason I'd always felt that Japanese desks were smaller but maybe that was a misconception.

Not really a misconception. I attended an all-girls private high school in Japan in the late 70s, and we used very old desks that even we students thought were tiny. I think that in the older days, desks were made smaller, or there were no "standard." But even in the days, there were bigger desks.

You may already know, but here's a Google Image result of the phrase "high school desks" in Japanese language. And can you see the drawing in the top row? That article says that the left on is for senior high and the right is for junior high. The senior high ones have "adjusters" at the spot where the arrow is.
https://www.google.co.jp/search?q=%E9%AB%98%E6%A0%A1%E3%81%AE%E6%9C%BA...

Is it rare to have door heights exceeding 2m, like 2.4m with an even higher wall?

Yes, unless you're talking about commercial buildings such as stores, restaurants and other public places.

I'm looking for an average apartment size in the Shinjuku area. Low to average income for a two-person home?

Well, the "Shinjuku" that tourists talk about is not a residential area at all (although I do have a friend who lives there, and people are like "What?!").

Here is a rough idea, from a real-estate company website, of apartments in the more residential areas of the ward of Shinjuku.
http://minimini.jp/list/line/tokyo/?lnkdiv=8&route=1_2284_10

It depends on what kind of two people you're talking about (single-parent and teenager, newlywed etc.), but LDK stands for "living room, dining room, kitchen." For example, 2DK means there is one room that should be used both as dining and kitchen and there are 2 other rooms, which means that a parent & child or a couple might find it suitable for them. However, the typical monthly fee for that in this area starts from 95000 yen, so usually people choose to live elsewhere.

From that page, you can jump to, for example, a list of the six 2-2DK apartments.
http://minimini.jp/list/line/tokyo/?lnkdiv=8&route=1_2284_10

You can see the size written in "m2" and you can see more details by clicking the blue icon on each apartment info.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Dimensions of buildings and classroom items 2016/8/26 10:25
Yes, it is a bit painful when you forget to stoop going through doorways. My apartment they all seem to be 180cm and I'm 182 so it doesn't take much, but the habit of walking around with head bent gets the occasional reinforcement.

One other point that might apply if you are getting students to measure interior space: apartments are quoted by the size to the exterior wall (according to one of my friends here in Tokyo), so a concrete block construction would be smaller than wooden or even brick walls - it helps the realestate people make things sound bigger I suppose. (I would guess the "floor" space also included interior walls.)
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread