Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Public transportation 2016/8/27 16:28
My itenerary as below:
Day 1. Kansai Airport - Osaka - Kyoto (Kinkakuji, Nishimi market area) then back to Osaka.
Day 2. Osaka - Arima Onsen - Kobe station - Osaka.
Day 3 and 4. Osaka district (Osaka Castle, Shinseikei, Umeda Sky Building, , kuromon Ichihara market, den den and dotonbori).
Day 5. Osaka - Nagoya Sakae subway station.
Day 6. Nagoya - shirakawago - Nagoya (night bus to kawakujiko)
Day 7. Kawakujiko (Mount Fuji) - Tokyo Kanamecho station
Day 8 and 9. Tokyo district
Day 10. Tokyo - Narita Airport
Would appreciate if someone can guide me on the public transportation as I'm confused with too many types of train passes. :)
by Wong (guest)  

Re: Public transportation 2016/8/28 14:50
You can look up the pubic transportation using Google Maps - it has the Japanese public transport system integrated into it.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Public transportation 2016/8/28 15:53
Buy an ICOCA prepaid card in Osaka - you'll be able to use it on most trains, buses and subways throughout the country, and it's a lot easier to use than figuring out individual fares every time you ride somewhere.

I'm not sure if you can get a refund on the unused portion of the card in Tokyo - you can ask once you get to Tokyo, and if not, just be careful not to load too much money on the card towards the end of your trip.

You'll still need to buy separate seat-reservation tickets for longer trips like Osaka-Nagoya.

For each individual trip, go to Google Maps and plug in your starting and ending points (not starting and ending stations), and Google Maps will show one or more recommended routes along with fares and times.

(There's another travel app called Hyperdia, but I wouldn't recommend it, as it's difficult to use and often inaccurate.)
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: Public transportation 2016/8/28 17:04
Cannot refund Icoca card in Tokyo. Just load small amount on it towards the end of your trip as suggested above.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Public transportation 2016/8/28 17:08
You dont need any PASS if it is just from Osaka to Tokyo. You can ride bus from Osaka to Nagoya and from Kawaguchiko to Tokyo. And within Osaka and Tokyo themselves you will more likely board the local subway than a JR train. So i agree that the best option is to buy ICOCA card at jr office in kansai airport. You can top it up at ANY train station so its very convinient and it allows u to board both jr and non jr train.
by Ryuta89 rate this post as useful

Re: Public transportation 2016/8/28 18:12
Hi all,
Thank you very much for the info. So the icoca card can be used through out my journey in Japan. I have two more questions if you all can help me:
1. Is it adviceable to purchase Osaka amazing pass in Osaka as they said inclusive of some parks entrance fee.
2. May I know which night bus company should I purchase the ticket from Nagoya to kawakuchiko (if any) as my nearest station will be in Sakae subway station. Is there any night bus service depart from there?
Looking forward for your reply and ones again, thank you!
by Wong (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Public transportation 2016/8/28 18:31
http://bus-en.fujikyu.co.jp/highway/detail/id/11/

In Nagoya, tickets are bought from Meitetsu, and departure is from the Meitetsu bus center.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Public transportation 2016/8/28 18:51
1. Is it adviceable to purchase Osaka amazing pass in Osaka as they said inclusive of some parks entrance fee.

I've been to Osaka many times, and among the 34 attractions listed in this pass I think I've been to maybe one or two of them. But if they look interesting to you, then it might be worth it....

Re: Public transportation 2016/8/28 21:10
(There's another travel app called Hyperdia, but I wouldn't recommend it, as it's difficult to use and often inaccurate.)

I use both very regularly and Google maps has an easier interface, but I find hyperdia far more accurate if not the most accurate/recommended of the routing apps. The main issue I encounter with google maps are incorrect line names that would misdirect unseasoned travelers. The routing is usually ok though, so what I do is use google maps to get an overview of the options, and then check the actual routes and schedules on hyperdia.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Public transportation 2016/8/28 23:23
I think I've got the most precious information from you guys. Much appreciated for your help. Thanks and God Bless. Here I come, JAPON😍
by Wong (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Public transportation 2016/8/28 23:59
Have a great trip!

Re: Public transportation 2016/8/30 03:01
May I know which night bus company should I purchase the ticket from Nagoya to Kawaguchiko (if any)

When will you travel?

There seems to be only one night bus to go from Nagoya to Kawaguchiko, which runs only on specific days (except during July and August, when it runs daily).
So, I strongly recommend that you secure another transportation method.

Subway Nagoya (H-08) and Sakae (H-10) Stations are connected by Higashiyama Line, whose symbol color is yellow.

- Transportation Bureau, City of Nagoya: Subway route map
https://www.kotsu.city.nagoya.jp/en/pc/SUBWAY/TRP0001067/TRF0004002.pd...

So the icoca card can be used through out my journey in Japan.

Please note that any IC transportation card in Japan cannot be used over plural usage areas.
You have to start and close every session with an ICOCA Card inside one usage area,
by touching the same card to a reader-writer device at each ticket gate which you pass through.

Basically you are not given any discount on railroad fees by traveling with an ICOCA Card.

- japan-guide.com: IC Cards
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2359_003.html
: Check "Basic Use" in this article.

Day 1. Kansai Airport - Osaka - Kyoto

Discount tickets are available for train rides from KIX to Osaka City.
Where in Osaka City will you stay?

Osaka - Arima Onsen - Kobe station - Osaka.

Kobe Station? That is a JR station which is located away from Arima Onsen.

- japan-guide.com: Arima Onsen
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3558.html
: See "Get There and Around" in this article.
by omotenashi rate this post as useful

reply to this thread