Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kyoto: 2 Autumn Illuminations in 1 day 2016/8/29 17:33
I'm planning to visit Kyoto during the last week of November this year.

Is it possible to do autumn illumination of 2 temples that are close together in 1 weekday?

Also, If I'm going to be at one temple from from afternoon until the evening after they've started the illumination, do I have to pay twice or just once when I bought the ticket first time?

Examples:
Monday
Kiyomizudera 17:00 - 19:00
Kodaiji 19:30 - 21:00

Tue:
Eikando: 17:00 - 19:00
Nanzenji 19:30 -21:00

How long is the typical wait time to get in these illuminations? How early do I have to start queuing up if I want to enter at 17:30 or later at 19:30 or 20:00?

Thank you.
by View39  

Re: Kyoto: 2 Autumn Illuminations in 1 day 2016/8/29 22:15
You could easily see 3 or 4 in a night, depending on how close they are.
It really doesn't take long to see each one.
I don't recall any serious wait times. Certainly less wait times than some of the daytime visits we did!
by ausmomo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto: 2 Autumn Illuminations in 1 day 2016/9/1 14:08
Thank you ausmomo. Good to hear that. How about the entrance fee? Do I pay once if I stay from the afternoon or do I have to re-enter and pay again?
by View39 rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto: 2 Autumn Illuminations in 1 day 2016/9/1 14:57
It closes. The lights are set up. It opens again.
So you would have to pay twice. Waiting times is about 20 minutes. It may be less. It depends on which location. Eikando is especially crowded for good reason.
by jh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto: 2 Autumn Illuminations in 1 day 2016/9/1 15:41
Besides temples with koyo view there is another type of illumination during your time of visit in Kyoto.

http://www.kyoto-illumiere.com/

by William5 rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto: 2 Autumn Illuminations in 1 day 2016/9/1 16:45
I see. Thank you jh. William5, the Illumiere looks great!

I'll have to rework my itinerary due to the re-entry. Do you think the plan below will work?

Monday night: Kiyomizu + Kodaiji
Tue night: Eikando + Nanzenji
Wed night: Kyoto Illumiere
Thu night: Arashiyama (Daikakuji + Nison-in)

Do you have any recommendation for other illumination places? and may I ask for your personal top 3 places to do the illuminations?
by View39 rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto: 2 Autumn Illuminations in 1 day 2016/9/2 13:15
Havenft been to all so couldnft prioritize which is best. Another option to look at is the ride on the Eizan Railway to Kifune/Kibune Shrine after sunset to see the illuminated gMomiji Tunnelh. Steps leading up to the shrine is also lighted up with lanterns on both sides.

http://momiji-tourou.xii.jp/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo12pgm-KN8

by William5 rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto: 2 Autumn Illuminations in 1 day 2016/9/2 15:18
Not that the momiji tunnel isn't nice... but i still prefer the flexibility of walking about than being stuck on a slow train.

I recommend Eikando first and Chonon-in second. Well, actually it is the recommendation of a photographer who went to Kyoto for autumn for (the last I heard) no less than 3 years consecutively.
by jh (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread