Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Advise on transfer to south Kyushu 2016/8/31 11:39
Hi,
I will be leaving from Helsinki by Finnair to Japan and I plan on heading direct to south Kyushu. As riding by train is too time consuming (5-6 hrs) and there are no direct flight to Fukuoka I intend on going to either Osaka or Narita. However, from Kansai and Narita there are no flights to Kagoshima by JAL so I am forced to Itami or Haneda.

Considering time for immigration, delays, etc... which would be the safest bet when transfering? So far I have had no issues with delay or long time at Kansai but you never know.

When looking for tickets at Finnair I only get suggestion from Haneda, 13.25, 15.00, 17,15...

I am not sure how to cope in case of delay as the flight is not originated in EU..
by Arch (guest)  

Re: Advise on transfer to south Kyushu 2016/8/31 14:10

from Kansai and Narita there are no flights to Kagoshima by JAL

You may want to consider Peach air: https://booking.flypeach.com/en/flight_search?access_uuid=28822a27-733...
by shinji (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Advise on transfer to south Kyushu 2016/8/31 14:16
What you should do is do a search on a flight search angine for an open-jaw ticket with the first leg being from Helsinki to Kagoshima (obviously, with transfers) and the second leg being from wherever you plan to end your trip back to Helsinki.

If Finnair does not sell tickets to Kagoshima on its website, just buy them from a third-party seller. Having all your flights on one ticket is preferable for many reasons, such as in the case of delays and missed connections.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Advise on transfer to south Kyushu 2016/8/31 17:20
As I recall, there is a new flight AY075 direct from Helsinki to Fukuoka.

http://www.seejapan.co.uk/jnto_trade/news_detail/15-10-08/finnair-to-o...
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Advise on transfer to south Kyushu 2016/8/31 18:09
The direct flights from Helsinki to Fukuoka end on 9 October. Besides, it seems odd to fly into Fukuoka if you want to go to southern Kyushu. Miyazaki may be better than Kagoshima, however, especially since the airport is closer to the city.

Re: Advise on transfer to south Kyushu 2016/8/31 18:49
Yes, The Fukuoka flight is only seasonal it seems. Not that I understand why since there is no big weather diff from Osaka or Tokyo.

Anyway. I seem stuck to JAL as it is the same alliance. Not sure if it is possible to fly by ANA instead, as they have flights to Kagoshima there (ANA Wings).

Itami is not in the destination list of Finnair but both Kagoshima and Haneda is.

One suggesion was to go there by British Airways but no good if back by different company.

Peach is a LCC right? For me it feels a bit less safe since of possible delay or missed flight. I dont know if it is all possible to have it on the same ticket.
by Arch (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Advise on transfer to south Kyushu 2016/8/31 19:17
It would really help if you clarified your requirements a bit, especially regarding your planned itinerary in Japan so we can find the best options for arrival and departure airport.

Re: Advise on transfer to south Kyushu 2016/8/31 23:59
Of course, my bad.

I want to visit Kagoshima, Ibusuki-area, maybe a trip to Yakushima or any other island there. Then I want to move north toward Fukuoka and Hiroshima, Osaka.

I have no detail so far but I know where I want to begin and end.

I could have flied home from Kagoshima of course but relying on going for such a long route the day before departure is not satisfying.

I happened to find out that Finnair flies to both Hong Kong and Incheon airport as well, which have transfer flights to Kagoshima (Hong Kong Air and Korean Air). What do you think of that?

Re: Advise on transfer to south Kyushu 2016/9/1 10:16
Right, then you want an open jaw ticket with the first leg beinv Helsinki-Kagoshima and the return Osaka-Helsinki. Apparently Finnair should be able to sell you that, or you can use a search engine like Skyscanner.

Re: Advise on transfer to south Kyushu 2016/9/1 23:43
I dont understand why Finnair wont let me choose Itami as Haneda is available and other domestic airports. Maybe they dislike Itami for some reason... haha...

Re: Advise on transfer to south Kyushu 2016/9/2 00:54
"Osaka" includes both Kansai and Itami. I'm not sure what your problem is...

Re: Advise on transfer to south Kyushu 2016/9/2 06:58
Well my problem is that in Finnair only Kansai appears. Go try search yourself if you do not believe me. Both Haneda and Narita appears as well as other smaller airports. See?

Re: Advise on transfer to south Kyushu 2016/9/2 11:00
And how is that a problem?

Re: Advise on transfer to south Kyushu 2016/9/2 14:33
Well it is a problem since I cannot book directly on Finnair. Please I get the feeling you are mocking me, let me know you are not.

Re: Advise on transfer to south Kyushu 2016/9/2 14:40
And I get the feeling that you are not reading what I am saying. You should book an open-jaw (also called "multi city" or "multi destination") ticket with two legs:

1. Helsinki to Kagoshima
2. Osaka to Helsinki.

For "Osaka" you can either input "Osaka", which will include both ITM and KIX, or just KIX. It seeems that only including ITM wouldn't make much sense, but if for some weird reason you insist on leaving from ITM (which will mean at least one transfer, probably in Tokyo), you can put "Osaka" and ignore the results from KIX.

Re: Advise on transfer to south Kyushu 2016/9/2 18:14
Sorry, my bad.

I have been trying to book open jaw with Helsinki - Kagoshima but ending up at different transfer airports, either going to Haneda via London or other European airport or Narita.

I am not sure if it is possible to make a single ticket if going by ANA instead of JAL (different alliance), then going to Nagoya would be another option...

Re: Advise on transfer to south Kyushu 2016/9/2 18:25
If I do a search for Helsinki to Kagoshima with Finnair it gives me various options, the cheapest being Helsinki to Narita and then Haneda to Kagoshima. Why is that not good for you?

Re: Advise on transfer to south Kyushu 2016/9/3 07:02
Try Korean Air to Seoul. The same airline then flies to loads of the regional airports in Japan.
That worked for us (from the UK), and also allowed us to have a few days in Seoul...
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

reply to this thread