Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Another itinerary 1st time to Japan solo 2016/9/15 19:25
I do apologize for this long post. I just want to be detailed to prevent too many back and forths and questions from anyone who will help and suggest. Thanks in advance!

Bought my tickets for next spring (mid to late April). Kept checking daily on JAL and other airlines on price and jumped on what I was comfortable paying. So that part is set. I also got my first 2 night hotel stay in Shinjuku area because my friend and her family is staying at that hotel (we overlap her end and my beginning by several days). I decided to just stay at the same hotel so it will be easier for all of us without running around meeting up.

Originally, I was planning on visiting for just a little over a week in Japan with only Tokyo and day trips out OR Osaka/Kyoto and day trips out. I was able to extend my vacation from work. So it's now 18 days total with air travel time or 16 night stay total. No other hotel/ryokan booked for rest of stay yet besides first 2 nights. I would like to stay at $100 range (better under like 75 range since I do have to pay for total of 16 nights and the first 2 nights is already pricey for my standardscjust did it for convenience). Also prefer near main stations and safe clean hotel.

I've been browsing here on the forums (just recent posts up to 2-3 weeks back) and other online sites googling 14-17 day itineraries just to get an idea. I also have must sees & dos through out the trip. What I'm having difficulty is planning it the right way (order) and how long to stay in each destination.

This is what I have tentatively set and I'll have my questions by each day that I need help on or right after itinerary:

Day 1 (13Th) - air travel; direct flight to Tokyo

Day 2 (14Fr) - arrive Narita about 13:30p (staying in a Shinjuku area hotel near station). Should be about a little over 2 hrs by the time I get to Shinjuku? After resting a little I'll be walking around vicinity and depends how late I start and when jetlag catches up to me I'll see how far I can go with walking around.

Day 3 (15Sa) - Tokyo (spending day with friend and her family...she may hold off doing Disney Sea for this day with me since I mentioned I was interested in visiting) So pretty much this day is whatever my friend has set for her family so the Disney Sea is up in the air until she finalizes her plans.

The problem part of planning trip – rest of it!

Day 4 (16Su) - I would like to check out as early as possible and head out to Kanazawa (overnight). This will also activate JRPass. Should I stay at a hotel or at a ryokan in Kanazawa. Is there a ryokan/onsen one can suggest to stay at that isnft quite pricey. Do I need to reserve a seat for this trip from Tokyo in advance or just take chance and do it when arrive at station. Or should I skip Kanazawa and move up days from below and add extra day in one if later cities or do an overnight elsewhere.

Day 5 (17Mo) – leave Kanazawa (?) and head out Takayama (2 night stay). Any recommendations on a ryokan/onsen to stay at. I donft mind gsplurgingh a bit here. This day is my Birthday which is the main reason I wanted to travel internationallyccelebrate my birthday in a different country even if solo. Any good place to eat?

Day 6 (18Tu) – walk around Takayama visit sites. Any MUST sees/dos/eat suggestions that I should know about for day 5&6.

Day 7 (19W) – leave Takayama for Kyoto. Today depends on when I leave Takayama and arrive in Kyoto.

Day 8 (20 Th)) – Kyoto – all day trip to Hiroshima and Miyajima Island

Day 9 (21F) – Kyoto – south: Fushimi Inari Shrine, Nara: deers, other sites

Day 10 (22Sa) – Kyoto – Arashiyama: Bamboo & Monkeys ; other sites

Day 11 (23Su) – Kyoto – more Temple hopping and shopping, etc.

Day 12 (24Mo) – Kyoto/Osaka – do I bother overnighting in Osaka or just stay in Kyoto. I can just do day trip into Osaka. Or should I take away this day and add another day in Tokyo.

Day 13 (25Tu) – Kyoto/Osaka? leave for Tokyo or do an overnight in Hakone. Originally I planned for a day trip from one of my Tokyo days below (most likely day 14)

Day 14 (26W) – Tokyo (or arriving in Tokyo depends if Ifll overnight in Hakone day 13) If decide not to overnight in Hakone this will be the day trip there. Maybe staying in Ikebukuro area.

Day 15 (27 Th) – Tokyo – day trip to Nikko

Day 16 (28F) – Tokyo –

Day 17 (29Sa) – Tokyo – This day is also a national holiday. I believe itfs Showa Day.

Day 18 (30Su) – Last minute omiyage shopping and last chance for quick site seeing. Leave Tokyo for Haneda flight @ 1915 with connecting flight in Nagoya to home. Since itfs the beginning of Golden Week is air travel that bad. If so, how much earlier do I need to get to the airport if not the recommended 3 hrs for international? Ifm not sure where Ifm staying yet but as of now Ifm leaning around Ikebukuro if that makes a difference in knowing where Ifm staying and travel time to Haneda.

TOKYO days – nothing is set yet on site seeing until I settle on what to do with Days 4, 13 & 14 except that one of the days will include day trip to Nikko. Or should I skip Nikko and do more stuff in Tokyo.

Should I switch itinerary and go to Kyoto/Osaka area first then to Takayama/Kanazawa then back to Tokyo.

Hotel/Ryokan – as mentioned, just first 2 nights is set. How are the APA hotel chains? Ifve seen decent prices that wonft make me cry. Any suggestions on where to stay in each location if not APA? I would prefer near main stations (within 10-15 minute walk).
Showa Day – will stores close for the day? What about sites, are they open?

I will be getting the 14 day JRPass (prior to arriving) and Suica/Pasmo card. Will this be sufficient enough or will I be needing other cards/passes. I know that I wonft be able to use JRpass on certain rides like part of Hakone. Ifm willing to pay balance for remaining tickets. I will do the exchange for the JRPass when Ifm in Shinjuku (day 2 or 3). I will purchase Nfex from Narita to Shinjuku. When doing the exchangecshould I reserve a seat for the Kanazawa trip. Can I also do advance reservations for later trips like to Takayama and Kyoto when doing the exchange?

Takkyubin – this service is a life changer for travelling. You donft know how ecstatic I am when I heard about this. I usually am a carryon/personal bag kind of traveler. But that is for up to 10 days kind of trip and in warm weather. This is my first time Japan and will be taking extra time off from work then our usual vacation days. So I feel a little guilty about it so I plan to buy small gifts for my fellow coworkers (itfll add up) and family. I will be bringing 2 suitcases. But when arriving it will just be 1 (Ifll be packing a smaller suitcase inside the bigger one) and going back home will be 2. Ifm planning on using this service once I arrive in Narita to my hotel in Shinjuku. Ifm sure it will be mid-late afternoon by the time I get through everything and it will be a Friday afternoon. Do I skip this service in Narita and bring my suitcase with me onto NfEx to Shinjuku and save money or pay for the service for convenience sake. Also, I would be using this the following day or so. I would like to get my suitcase to Kyoto hotel (so Ifll need to get this done by day 3 or before I leave on day 4). From what Ifve read this is possible, correct? I should be in Kyoto on Day 6/7. And vice versa in Kyoto to Tokyo (maybe day 12). Also will send luggage to Haneda (will ask Hotel how early do I need to send it to airport). I will use my carryon bag and personal bag during those days I use the service.

Weather/Season – Spring time. Also Cherry Blossoms. I know Ifll be missing it but there might be a slight possibility of it blooming still when Ifm in Takayama. My friend, the one whom Ifm meeting up with went to Tokyo/Yokohama this past mid-April for a week. She said it was great weather. Ranged high about low/mid 70s F to as low as in 50s in evening. She told me donft bother packing an umbrellacjust pick up one there. I already know about layering (I did a European Tour trip 5 yrs back during fall and weather was about 50-60F). What Ifm worried about is Takayama? Is it much colder. Do I need to stopover in Uniqlo to pick up a jacket or something before leaving Tokyo to Kanazawa/Takayama. I donft want to bring a coat or thick jacket with me into Japan. Actually, I donft own one. Ifm from Hawaii and we donft do winter weather here =) And this leads toc.
Clothing – Layers! That, I know. Ifll stick to casual nice wear. I wonft be doing anything fancy. Comfortable walking shoes (2 pairs). Windbreaker cause in my experience wind makes cold worse.

I know that this may end up being an expensive trip for me. I could save some money if I do AirBnb or similar. But would rather do convenience right now. And that this is a Birthday treat for myself Ifm willing to splurge a little here and there. I did get a raise several months ago and that graiseh I got should be paying off my hotel nights as long itfs within $75-150 range. Also, work has been offering overtime and Ifve been taking advantage of that the past couple weeks and expecting more OT hours available this upcoming holiday season. My air tix was $660 RT which I think is a very good price during April.

Any help, suggestions, insight to my itinerary is a appreciated.

by hibell77  

Re: Another itinerary 1st time to Japan solo 2016/9/16 12:01
RE: Day 8, day trip to Hiroshima & Miyajima from Kyoto will be very tough. I would shorten one day in Kyoto, or skip one day of Kyoto/Osaka and stay one night in Hiroshima.

In general, finding rooms under $100 (or even under $80) is easy near cities where "business hotels" abound. They have simple but clean rooms, and most offer free breakfast. If you want a non-smoking room, then you better reserve early because they tend to get booked fast. Onsen ryokans are where you need your fat wallet and splurge.
by Mei (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Another itinerary 1st time to Japan solo 2016/9/16 12:51
Re: Kanazawa, when I was there last April I stayed at Sumiyoshiya. It's the oldest ryokan in the city, and run by a lovely family. Not too pricey, single rooms available, food and service were great. The position is also good; halfway between the station and the castle park (I walked everywhere). If you can, spend longer in Kanazawa; I only spent one full day there and wish I'd spent another.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Another itinerary 1st time to Japan solo 2016/9/16 17:01
I would like to stay at $100 range (better under like 75 range since I do have to pay for total of 16 nights and the first 2 nights is already pricey for my standardscjust did it for convenience). Also prefer near main stations and safe clean hotel.

For the former, it is each to get hotels of less than $75 USD (i take it as USD? Am i right?) In Japan there are business hotels which are about 50-70 USD per person night. The lodging is simple though you may have to sleep diagonally if you are not Asian. For the latter, I have not found any accommodation in Japan that is neither clean nor safe. A hotel would surely be less inclined to be so.

What could be a problem is that your dates are mid to late April which may coincide with the cherry blossom blooming period. Peak travel season in Japan. The cheaper accommodations are disappearing as you are reading this. Popular cities may be booked out, and sometimes you would have to stay in the towns and smaller cities outside the city. (This being Japan, this means a 30 minute or less train ride away. Usually such accommodations would also be cheaper than being in the popular city.)

Day 2
Many walks in Shinjuku. If you are staying in a place with a gym, you can exercise till you drop. Helps with the jetlag. About half an hour to 1.5 hours from plane to train station. Another hour for train. Hour to Hour and a half if you are getting a train pass from the ticket office.

Day 4
The JR Ticket Office is far more crowded at the airport. Changing your pass in Tokyo would probably take less than an hour. Do make all train seat reservations at this moment to prevent wasting time queuing again in the future. Kanazawa has only one hotel with an onsen (the rest are hotels with hot baths meaning just hot tap water). It is not a ryokan but it does have tatami floored rooms from memory. That said, this also means it is (the most) expensive. Kaga onsen is not too far away, but if coming from Tokyo I guess you would not want to travel any further. So in summary, find a cheaper accommodation, there are probably other chances for ryokans and onsens at other points during your trip. I don't see the need to change the Kanazawa day. I would spend more time here though. The travel from Tokyo and just checking in to the hotel would take a majority of your time.

Day 6 and Day 7
No idea why you would spend 2 days in Takayama. Would rather spend a day in Takayama and 2 in Kanazawa. The usual practice is the morning in Takayama (morn market) and to spend an evening or overnight in Shirakawa-go if farm houses (it has an onsen from memory) are your thing.
Someone else might mention why Takayama is worth two days. Think he said hiking the mountain lands of Takayama. Plus the mountains away from Takayama city centre has onsen ryokans.

Foodwise:
Takayama has good soba. Kanazawa has good any type of food. I particularly liked the noto peninsular wagyu beef at this korean BBQ place (Japan, 920-0852 Ishikawa Prefecture, Kanazawa, Konohanamachi, 9-13). Had a pal who tried and loved a place called Golden Curry.

Day 8
You have to leave early and expect to return late for this. Check the last shinkansen to Kyoto from Hiroshima. Also note Miyajima night fall time (Itsukushima shrine is to be seen in the day/ night + low / high tide).

Kyoto in general:
I recommend 3 days minimum for first timers. Five, if you ain't a fast pace traveler (I presume you are based on the number of days spent at each location so far).
One for North (Kinkakuji, Ryoan-ji, Ninnanji, Myoshinji, Toei Studio Park)
One for East (Higashiyama districts, Nanzenji to Ginkakuji via Philosopher's path stopping by Eikando and Honen-in, and Heian Shrine, with dinner at Gion/Potoncho)
One for South and Arashiyama (Only thing south is Fushimi Inari, Arashiyama is self explanatory).
You can see Kyoto station mall and teramachi-dori during dinner.
Central Kyoto, Kurama/Kibune, Enryakuji, Sanzen-in is for people with more time.
Uji and Nara outside Kyoto and not what I would consider under Kyoto days.
Note that Fushimi Inari is 24/7 so early morning in the the dead of night is still accessible.
Are you fine with hostel living? If so, I have a few I can throw your way.

Osaka in general:
Day time sights like the castle, USJ, and cup noodle museum is a real ?. This depends on your interest. If it is still cherry blossom season, the mint museum is the place to be.
Usual practice is to day time in Kyoto, and night out in Osaka.
For 2 reasons: Kyoto attractions close early
Osaka has much more night life

Day 13
Note that you should get the Hakone Pass for Hakone. Hakone has some charming ryokans but they are considered over priced. Since you aren't going to many other onsen towns, perhaps you don't mind footing the bill? If not, head to onsen town like Kusatsu.

Final Day
Probably taking the train to the airport? If so, traffic won't be so far. Trains don't stop for red lights.

Doing Kanazawa/Takayama later has two benefits:
1. It is a mountainous region and would be slightly warmer if you do it later.
2. Higher chance of seeing cherry blossoms in Osaka and Kyoto Major bad point, is that hotels would be much more expensive. (note on popular cities mentioned above)

For individual sites on Showa day check this website for opening and closing times and for closed days. some attractions give free entry on public holidays. Kenrokuen!!

APA are great! Better but slightly more pricey than Toyoko Inn IMO. There is also the Hotel Nikko chain of hotels. So many business hotels in Japan... As mentioned, they are all safe and clean (I've stayed in a 20USD about boarding house before, and though it looks run down it was still clean and safe).

On your train questions, I answered above.

Cannot help on Takyubin. Never had to use them. Whether I am traveling solo or with others, I use one backpack and one only. Did two weeks in winter and two and half weeks in autumn with always one backpack. The key is to pack one jeans for each week, sleep in shorts that can be used on not so cool days and presentable enough to walk about the hotel, and to find a laundry machine.

On clothing, normal jeans and shirt.
Layer extra socks if you feet feel cold. (Wear the outer pair of socks the next day to save on over-packing)
Wearing a jacket or a thermal underwear helps greatly. If it is not enough just use an extra shirt. (Again re-wear the outer shirt the next day, or you could use it only as an outer shirt and tell your friends when you show them your photos that it is a "jacket").
If you are adverse to cold, mufflers or a beanie helps.
I don't see the need for gloves or scarfs.

In Japan, the best way to beat the cold is hot springs. Just go for a dip (10-15 minutes) before breakfast and you are set for the day. I did -8 degrees C in just a Polo-T and jeans.
by jh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Another itinerary 1st time to Japan solo 2016/9/16 19:31
@Mei
Thank you. Ifm used to long travels and long days on vacation. Somehow my body can adjust when on vacation but itfs after when I get home it catches up to me. Then Ifm screwed. Maybe itfs the excitement and adrenaline of travelling. But Ifll see and review everything on what I greallyh want to do and what I can cut out. Or see if I can combine some stuff into 1 day in Kyoto so I can overnight in Hiroshima or Miyajima. If canft Ifll just tough it out early morning and late night.

As for rooms, Ifll pretty much stick to gbusiness hotelsh. May do an onsen ryokan for one night somewhere along.

@sq
I checked Sumiyoshiya and all online sites have no bookings available for the night I plan on staying. Ifm not sure if itfs just early to check availabilities or itfs really all booked up. I might have to check their official site and inquire. I may take away a day in Takayama and add 1 more night in Kanazawa.

@jh
Yes, USD. Cherry blossoms are in bloom during my travel dates? I thought Tokyo area and south was late March to early April and North will be in bloom. I thought I was going to miss it when I arrive in Japan and the only possibility of seeing it would be in Takayama. My friend went to Tokyo/Yokohama this past mid-April and she said she missed it about a week late. Itfs why shefs going early-mid April next year while we will overlap couple days when I go mid-late April.

Ifm still seeing rates from $70+. But I would like to book everything soon. Ifm checking sites that have free cancellations until several days before check in dates.

I was thinking that the JR ticket office will be crowded at airport so I had in mind of exchanging the pass in Shinjuku. I would rather get into the city as fast as possible. I guess when I finalize everything Ifll figure out best time to leave in each location and make all reservations at once when exchanging.

After reading more about Kanazawa and Takayama, I may take away one day and add it to Kanazawa.

I may overnight in Hiroshima or Miyajima. Leave Kyoto early and leave Hiroshima/Miyajima mid morning or so.

Kyoto – I prefer to spend my day in sections. I hate wasting time going back and forth cross towns/cities. Planning my days this way helps me see more. I know plans can go down the drain but at least it gives me a sense on what to do. Ifm leaning on staying in Kyoto and not doing any overnights in Osaka. May just day their and leave sometime in the evening back to Kyoto. Ifm not sure about hostel living? But Ifll take suggestions and will check it out.

Day 13 – will need to rethink this day.

Final day – should I leave for the airport around 12-1300 or so.
Flight is @1915. I donft like to rush at airports and since Ifm planning on using the Takyubin I would need to pick up my luggage. And I could just wander around in Haneda airport or relax before my flight.

Reason why I had Kanazawa and Takayama in the beginning was to relax a little. Theyfre smaller cities/towns. If I go straight to Kyoto/Osaka, I feel I might be rushed with too many places to see.

Ifll check when itfs closer to Showa Day.

I usually back pack also but do feel a little guilty in taking extra time off from work. We Americans donft get much vacation days like Europeans and Australians. I plan on making it up to my coworkers by getting them gifts. And I plan on hitting the daiso stores. My sister is already working on a gshopping listh.

I think I didnft mention it on original postcbut Ifm female. Some of us women tend to need a little more clothing. I did a 26 day tour in Europe and brought only 5 jeans/pants. I have a bunch of merino wool clothing that I used for my European trip (October with avg temp 50-60s). Scarves for women is like an accessory. Using different color/style on same outfits changes it up. Like your version of gjacketh.

Again, thank you to all who took the time to read and answer. I really appreciate it. I know that Spring time is a prime time to go to Japan and I really want to get my hotels set within couple weeks so I donft have to worry about it later. And by settling that down I can also try gplanh out what Ifll do during my days there.

If you guys have any more to add or suggest please do so. Thanks.
by hibell77 rate this post as useful

Re: Another itinerary 1st time to Japan solo 2016/9/17 09:06
You are still early for bookings, but send Sumiyoshiya a message through their website. I sent them a message in August last year about a booking in April this year, and they replied straight away (within 24 hours) with booking details!
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Another itinerary 1st time to Japan solo 2016/9/18 05:58
@sq
Thanks. That's what I thought. Will email and inquire.

I've temporarily booked my nights for Kanazawa, Takayama and Kyoto at business hotels. Found good prices that I can manage plus I have free cancellation several days prior to check in. In the mean time I'll just keep looking for other options and if I find something better than I can cancel earlier bookings.
by hibell77 rate this post as useful

Re: Another itinerary 1st time to Japan solo 2016/9/18 16:34
A hotel in Tokyo you might like is the Asakusa Hatago hotel (http://asakusahotel.org/en/). We have stayed there twice. It's in a quiet but safe neighbourhood, close to subway stations, with only 30 rooms, all non-smoking. Rooms are small but all you need, breakfast included but basic, staff are charming. Plus you can catch a train direct to Haneda at the end of your stay.
by Ausfam (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread