Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

To from Yakushima 2016/9/21 06:19
Hi,
I read on various options to travel to and from Yakushima, ferry, jetboat, air, (swimming...?)

They say the jetboat might get cancelled if waves are too high. Not sure how big the risk is but trying to find emergency options so not to get stuck.

There are only one slow ferry (day ferry) as I found so missing that and no jetboat means stuck on Yakushima. And air is way too expensive for same day ticket.

Any other ideas?
by Jojo (guest)  

Re: To from Yakushima 2016/9/21 10:07
I think you have the main points - if you are stuck because of rough seas, flying is basically the next option.

There are two daily (slow) ferries - the daytime car ferry or the overnight freight ferry, but a rough sailing will still be unpleasant.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: To from Yakushima 2016/9/21 10:20

They say the jetboat might get cancelled if waves are too high
For a same reason I flew from Kagoshima when visiting the Island.
I purchased the ticket in advance which was just a wee bit more expensive than the Jetboat fares.
by shinji (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: To from Yakushima 2016/9/21 14:43
Did you fly from Yakushima as well?

I was considering flying but it would mean I have to transport myself to the airport, since staying in the city center. Also, I am not sure when leave for Yakushima itself.

I easily get sea sick from time to time so the toppy seemed like a better option.

But I guess the air tickets are non refundable?

I will fly down to Kagoshima anyway, maybe I should consider staying at the airport instead. I will not leave for Yakushima until early day 2 (arriving day 0) as I wanted a buffert time.

I was considering flying from Osaka too (since I arrive there) but the one way ticket for 20 000 JPY or more is quite too much for the effort...
by Jojo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: To from Yakushima 2016/9/21 21:17

Did you fly from Yakushima as well?

Yes I did.

Also, I am not sure when leave for Yakushima itself.

It is going to be very difficult, without a confirmed date, not very likely you are able to purchase air ticket in advance. Same day fares are more expensive; moreover, it's not beyond the realm of possibility that seats are all taken the day when you decide to travel.

Re: To from Yakushima 2016/9/22 00:04

I easily get sea sick from time to time so the toppy seemed like a better option.

Your reasoning could be wrong, the Toppy (Jetfoil) would get you to the island quicker, but in bad weather/ choppy sea, the Jetfoil is just as bad , could even be worse than a big ferry.
I once experienced taking the Beetle from Busan to Hakata encountering bad weather halfway. High wind and high wave caused so many to vomit, and I swore not to again be in a same situation.

Re: To from Yakushima 2016/9/22 00:58
I had a thought of bringing pills for seasickness but they also make you dizzy and tired, could possibly ruin the rest of the day.

I travelled to the Canary Islands once goimg by a local coast ferry, probably as big as the Toppy. Took 30 mins or so to travel but at arrival I felt so dizzy I had to sit for a long while...

I dont think I ever had problems in big ferries (none so far in Japan) but it is a while since I travelled on ferry for long time. Maybe I drank to little or the warm climate affected me badly...

Are there any flexible or refundable tickets to Yakushima by air or is it lost money?

Re: To from Yakushima 2016/9/22 01:07
Discounted tickets ("sakitoku") do not allow changes or refunds. If you want a flexible ticket, it's more expensive. See http://www.jal.co.jp/en/dom/fare/rule/
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: To from Yakushima 2016/9/22 03:50
Firas,
That's what I was looking for, thank you.

Re: To from Yakushima 2016/9/23 21:29
Still a bit confused. Seems like they can be refunded if cancelled in approriate days before... or did I get it all wrong..?

Re: To from Yakushima 2016/9/23 21:38
When you do your booking, you can choose between several fares. If you buy the advance-booking discounted fare ("sakitoku"), changes and refunds are not allowed. If you book the (more expensive) standard one-way fare, it is flexible so changes and refunds are allowed.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: To from Yakushima 2016/9/23 22:51
Thank you.

reply to this thread