Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kyoto to Takayama 2016/9/23 21:40
Would someone please advise whether I could do a day trip on my own from Kyoto Station to Takayama (considering it takes more than 3 hours one way) without staying overnight in Takayama? If yes, what's the quickest public transportation I should take? Or should I join a tour (but they seem to be pretty expensive)? Many thanks.
by ROSEMARY CHEUNG (guest)  

Re: Kyoto to Takayama 2016/9/24 15:09
Indeed, you will spend at least 6, if not 7-8 hours on board of trains and buses if you were to make a side trip from Takayama to Kyoto. Transportation options are explained here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5908.html?aFROM=2158_5900

If you leave early in the morning, you could have several hours in Takayama. Whether it is worth the effort depends on the individual traveler. I personally wouldn't do it.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto to Takayama 2016/9/24 21:41
You can take JR Limited Express "Wide View Hida" from Kyoto to Takayama directly.
So far there's only one service leaving Kyoto at around 8:30 am and
arriving at Takayama at 12:15}.
As for returning, there's also a direct service of " Wide View HIda" leaving Takayama at 15:35} and arriving at Kyoto at 19:20}.
There's another route from Kyoto to Takayama via Nagoya by taking Shinkansen and Wide View Hida from Nagoya to Takayama.
As for fair, there's a slight difference between two routes and time required is almost same.
In any case, you don't have enough time to stay in Takayama for one day trip.

by Hirohiroboy rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto to Takayama 2016/9/25 16:17
Thanks Hirohiroboy for your comprehensive information, according to your suggested transportation, it seems that I could have about 3 hours between arriving Takayama and returning to Kyoto, would it be sufficient time to tour around the area? Considering the travel time and costs involved, do you think I should perhaps consider staying one night in Takayama instead of rushing myself?

Thanks again.
by Rosemary (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto to Takayama 2016/9/25 16:30
3 hours would give you time for only one area. You could go to the old buildings at Hida no Sato, or go over to the Float Exhibition Hall (Yatai Kaikan) and see a few of the museums in that area, or take in the old town and the Jinya. To do any more you'd have to taxi between places and rush through them.

I usually stay there at least 2 nights so I have a full day to browse through the antique and wood carving shops. I also like to have coffee at the riverside morning market. I've never visited the Teddy Bear Village though in multiple visits.
by Anaguma (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto to Takayama 2016/9/25 21:03
Here's a map of Takayama city as below:
http://www.hida.jp/english/admin/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/dl_city.pd...'takayama+sight+map'

I'd recommend to stay overnight in Takayama.
You may enjoy shopping and eating at Asaichi(morning market) in town first, then go to Hida Minzoku Mura(Folk Village) located at western part of the town. Then you can stroll around Higashiyama Temples located eastern side of the town.
You may climb Mt.Shiroyama to enjoy nice view of the city.

Re: Kyoto to Takayama 2016/9/26 10:07
Great advice, thanks to everyone's input.

If I stay overnight in Takayama, would I be able to also make a day trip to Ogimachi without the need to stay for another night to visit there? And, what's the best transportation from Takayama to Ogimachi and back.

Many thanks.

Re: Kyoto to Takayama 2016/9/26 20:25
It takes about an hour from Takayama to Ougimachi as shown below:
https://www.nouhibus.co.jp/english/highwaybus/shirakawago.pdf

It may be doable if you arrange your itinerary very precisely.

Re: Kyoto to Takayama 2016/9/26 20:45
Many thanks again, Hirohiroboy, you've been a great help. Have a nice day.

reply to this thread