Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Scenic trips around Tohoku 2016/9/26 17:34
Hi all,

I am planning a trip around Tohoku (use the new Hokkaido Shinkansen to Hakodate and then slowly travel down to Tokyo). I have about a week and would like to get the best out of my time there.

I am hoping to ask for advise on what the best train trips are. So far I've found the Gono line from Aomori to Akita. I am thinking of using the Tsuragu ltd. express instead of the Resort Shirakami because it has green seats. However I am not sure if this is the better choice, has anyone done this before?

Any other general tips for Tohoku are welcome too, so far I plan to include Morioka, Akita, Yamagata and Yamadera.

Thanks!
by Night Dreamer  

Re: Scenic trips around Tohoku 2016/9/26 19:04
The Tsugaru does not run on the Gono line, only the Resort Shirakami does (in addition to local trains).

The Akita Nairiku line is nice, but not JR.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Scenic trips around Tohoku 2016/9/26 20:26
A nice option is the following:

(1) Shimokita Peninsula (Osorensan)
(2) Hirosaki
(3) Tono
(4) Hiraizumi
(5) Yamagata/Yamadera (Yamadera is half a day)
(6) Matsushima/Sendai
(7) Aizu Wakamatsu

If you have access to a car - then Dewa Sanzen is beautiful. I'd skip Morioka unless it's cherry blossom season (late April / early May). Remember that the Shimokita Peninsula is not safe for travel in winter - nor is Yamadera.

Most of he above locations have info on this website or on my profile.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Scenic trips around Tohoku 2016/9/26 21:56
The Resort Shirakami seats might as well be green seats, plus the giant windows for amazing views, the special on-board events (like a shamisen concert)... its not going to be any old train ride!

http://www.japan-guide.com/tour/2015/e/north/day8.html
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: Scenic trips around Tohoku 2016/9/26 22:22
When are you going? If it's winter the previously mentioned Akita Nairiku line is very good. If you were to get a JR East South Hokkaido pass you could have that particular day as one where you don't use it (it's valid for 6 days in a 14 day period). http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361_southhokkaido.html
by Sal1980 rate this post as useful

Re: Scenic trips around Tohoku 2016/9/26 22:41
The Gono line is good.

Beware that Osorensan is "difficult" to get to (especially depends on the time of year - I took the train out there last year to see how hard it was to visit).

If you are going to Akita (nice town), also do a trip to Kakunodate - not very touristy, but interesting.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Scenic trips around Tohoku 2016/9/28 00:35
Thank you all for the reply. I will be going near the end of next month.

Morioka is mostly a stopover to try the local foods.
by Night Dreamer rate this post as useful

reply to this thread