Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Buy Japan Rail pass or buy as I go? 2016/9/27 07:35
Hello! I'm going to be traveling to Japan from:

Oct. 8-13 I'll be in shinjuku, tokyo

oct. 13-17 i will be in Kamigyō-ku in Kyoto

oct. 17-18 i will be in Hashimoto-city, Wakayama Prefecture

and oct. 19-21 i'll be in Setagaya-ku in Tokyo.

I was contemplating buying a japan rail pass or just buying tickets as I go. Any thoughts? I don't know much Japanese and this is my first time traveling to Japan.

If you don't think the japan rail pass is worth it what would you suggest? I know there are other options but it's difficult to figure out which is the best one for me.

Thanks! :)
by Toby93  

Re: Buy Japan Rail pass or buy as I go? 2016/9/27 18:40
Have you had a look (search function above) at the large number of practically identical questions that have been asked and answered several times each week?

Nothing has changed. Answers will be the same. Happy planning.
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: Buy Japan Rail pass or buy as I go? 2016/9/28 06:16
Hi! I'm not much good at searching threads so I'll toss you a bone. What you want to do is go to hyperdia and plan your trips, and see the cost. I've only taken the rail pass once out of 10 trips. It is convenient, and usually pays for itself if you are going from Tokyo to Kyoto and back (unless you are travelling on the Nozomi trains). But if you have shortish trips spread over 2 weeks, I doubt it will be worthwhile.

Getting tickets is pretty easy, and people tend to help if you need it. I mastered the ticket machines finally, they are actually pretty easy too, even for those of us who dont use public transport at home.

Have fun!
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Buy Japan Rail pass or buy as I go? 2016/9/28 07:31
If you do more than 1,000km in a week, then the JRP should be less than single tickets.

(and as far as I know, there is no change in eligibility regarding single or multiple entry visas - most people enter on a visa waiver permit rather than a visa anyway.)
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread