Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Complications with arrest record and customs? 2016/9/28 08:18
Hi,

Earlier this year, I was arrested on a misdemeanor charge. I was attacked at a train station, and while defending myself, the other person and I were both arrested and charged with assault. After two months, the charges were dismissed (there was video footage), but the record won't be sealed until six months have passed. I'm planning to visit Japan soon for a vacation, but I'm worried that I won't be let in through customs, despite not having a criminal record.

I have the choice to email the Japanese embassy in the U.S. to notify them that the charge was dismissed, but it might also raise an alert that they wouldn't have been aware of in the first place. What should I do?
by fourpointsix (guest)  

Re: Complications with arrest record and customs? 2016/9/28 10:59
I heard the stories about people entering Japan with criminal record. In most cases if it is non drug-related they're granted entry. And if it is drug-related, even a minor one you will not be granted entry. But from what i have read it is better to go to the nearest Japanese embassy/consulate general and ask them directly.
by Ryuta89 rate this post as useful

Re: Complications with arrest record and customs? 2016/9/28 15:39
You will be asked if you have any criminal convictions. Getting arrested is not a criminal conviction.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread