Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

A question about the Declaration form 2016/10/3 15:29
Hi!

This is probably a very dumb question, but since english isn't my native language and soon I'm traveling to Japan alone, I'd like to ask about this part of the Declaration form I found in the internet:

''Regarding the column of gDescription of other goodsh, if the
total market value of each personal item does not exceed
10,000, you need not write it on this declaration Form''

So does this mean I have to declare for example my iPhone (over 10,000), laptop (over 10,000), headphones (over 10,000) into the form?

Thanks in advance!
by BeeTee  

Re: A question about the Declaration form 2016/10/3 19:11
You only need to fill in that part if you answered Yes to bringing in any prohibited items, goods exceeding duty-free allowance, commercial goods/samples, or items for someone else with you on Side A of the Declaration.

In the case that you did answer Yes to 1 of those, you only need to describe the items that meet that criteria.
by K (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: A question about the Declaration form 2016/10/3 21:06
Are these items that belong to you and you are bringing into Japan for your personal use? If so, then I wouldn't declare them. I never declare anything upon entering Japan that has obviously been used by me, i.e camera(s), laptop, phone, etc.
by John B digs Japan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: A question about the Declaration form 2016/10/4 03:03
Yep, they are for personal use. I mean, using e-mail, taking photos, sending messages, etc.? :)

I just got a little confused when I read this part: ''...if the total market value of EACH PERSONAL ITEM does not exceed 10,000...''. Because in Side A, all my answers would be ''No''.
And also: ''...you are required to declare all the articles that you have purchased or acquired abroad...''. I think it's quite obvious that the items I have with me are all purchased abroad and some of them will exceed 10,000.

I just don't want to get in any trouble when I get to Japan.. All I have with me is very basic stuff: clothes, phone, iPod, laptop, headphones, maybe some chocolate and cookies as Omiyage for a friend... I guess those should be ok, and shouldn't be declared...?

Sorry guys, and thanks for your replies so far! :)
by BeeTee rate this post as useful

Re: A question about the Declaration form 2016/10/4 03:30
You do not have to declare your personal items and souvenirs for friends. Basically, if you're not selling anything, you have nothing to declare.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: A question about the Declaration form 2016/10/4 04:24
You also have to realize that form can be for people returning to Japan as well as for those going to Japan. I usually take about $4000 worth of photo equipment, but I don't declare it. Never had any issues at customs.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: A question about the Declaration form 2016/10/4 13:55
Cool. Thank you!
by BeeTee rate this post as useful

reply to this thread