Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

University of Tsukuba's g30 program? 2016/10/10 01:17
I'm planning to apply to University of Tsukuba's international studies of g30 undergraduate program.
1.I'm from Taiwan's best high school and I wonder it this can help me get accepted more likely.(Somepeople told me that because the professors are not fimiliar with Taiwanese high schools,it's not gonna help)
2.My gpa is supposed to be 3.75/4 if I didn't do the math wrong(but at least no less than 3.65), could anyone tell me if i'm with high possibility to be accepted?(I know that the essay and the interview is more important than gpa, but i'll try my best to write the essay(study plan))
3.Is it hard to get in? I really want to go to this university.
4.I'll probably submit my TOEIC grade,which I think i'll get more than 900(I haven't taken it so far). But i'll also take TOEFL ibt next,which for me is more difficult.Im trying to get more than 90,so still working hard!
5.Is there any thing I can do to increase my chance to be accepted?
Thank you so much.
by daoziwai  

Re: University of Tsukuba's g30 program? 2016/10/10 21:27
Generally, the Social Sciences program expects about 4 applications per place. It may be stronger this year.

1) You can mention your high school's ranking in the "school information" form, or in your personal statement. It can't hurt. However, I think it wouldn't have such a big affect on the outcome. Admissions are far more based upon a holistic evaluation of the candidate, rather than just where you went to school, or what sort of scores you have.

This is not to say that test scores are not important - they are - but simply that most applicants have scores which would make them competitive, and it is your drive, ambition, and the amount of research you have done which will secure you the place. Can you convincingly explain why Tsukuba and this program, rather than similar programs at Osaka, Nagoya, UTokyo, or a number of private universities? Have you looked at each program and compared their good and bad points?

In short, standardized tests are insufficient to measure the totality of a person's accomplishment and personality, and while they are important indicators of both ability and commitment, Tsukuba is more interested in your future than your past.

2) You cannot get in by GPA alone. They've rejected people with higher scores than you before, while accepting others with lower (yet still competitive) scores.

The examiners are not Japanese, and they understand that test scores are our servants, not our masters.

Keep your scores up, but I recommend you to focus your energy on your personal statement, and explaining what you want to do with your life, and how a degree from Tsukuba gets you there.

3) For the right candidate, it is easy to get in. For the wrong candidate, impossible. Last year, 4 applicants per place. Perhaps only 20% of them really totally unacceptable. This year, I would expect 5 applicants per place.

For those which do get in, they have many options after graduation. From the English programs as a whole, they have students accepted to Oxford, Yale, UCLA, NYU, NUS, UTokyo, Kyoto, and many others.

4) Competitive scores. Keep working hard.

5) Your personal statement is one of the most important documents in the whole application. Work hard on it. Dream a big dream - how do you want to change the world? Then tell them about that, and how Tsukuba is a fundamental part of you achieving that goal. Lead, don't follow.
by Dainichi Heater rate this post as useful

Re: University of Tsukuba's g30 program? 2016/10/10 21:46
Thank you so much,Dainichi Heater.
I'll do my best on the personal statement.
by daoziwai rate this post as useful

reply to this thread