Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Maiden Name Passport 2016/10/18 13:35
Hello - I just realized I ordered my wife's JR Pass under her new name; however her passport is under her maiden name.

Will this cause an issue? I can have her bring her US Drivers License that has her new name to match the JR pass, but I'm not sure if they will accept it? ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED?

If I have to change it, what is the best way about doing it? Can I just do it at the airport when I get to Tokyo?
by J Shah (guest)  

Re: Maiden Name Passport 2016/10/18 16:57
Get your voucher refunded and buy a new one.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Maiden Name Passport 2016/10/18 17:31
As above. Refund and reorder.

You should find in the terms and conditions that the name on exchange voucher must match name on passport.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Maiden Name Passport 2016/10/18 22:33
As above. If you can't do that, you could maybe take your wedding certificate (although there would be no guarantee that it would be accepted).
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: Maiden Name Passport 2016/10/19 01:59
Thanks guys - I just ordered new one and will be shipping previous one back for a refund.

How quickly do refunds get processed? I'm hoping I don't have to go back and forth with these guys to get the refund processed.

Thanks again.
by J Shah (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Maiden Name Passport 2016/10/20 23:12
My wife and I just renewed our USA passports by mail. It took exactly two weeks to get get them back. I was extremely surprised by the speed. At some point, your wife will need to get a new passport, if she is not keeping her maiden name officially. But I believe that with a name change, you cannot do it by mail.

Depending on your trip timing, it makes more sense to change the name on the JR pass voucher, but do the passport soon, for your next trip to Japan next year!

Maybe TMI!

Dale
by Oenophile Angler rate this post as useful

Re: Maiden Name Passport 2016/10/21 09:24
How quickly do refunds get processed? I'm hoping I don't have to go back and forth with these guys to get the refund processed.

Totally depends on the vendor that you purchased them from. Each has different policies and processing schedules when it comes to refunds/exchanges.

My wife and I just renewed our USA passports by mail. It took exactly two weeks to get get them back. I was extremely surprised by the speed.

That is amazing! My daughter's US passport renewal took almost an entire month, and that was with "expedited processing".

This is one of the areas where the Japan systems are soooo much better. IIRC, renewals take a few day, and my wife's name change update just took a few minutes.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Maiden Name Passport 2016/10/22 03:07
Hi yllwsmrf, yeah, it was actually 2 wks and 2 days for the passport. I was quite surprised too. There was a time about ten years ago that there was a several month wait for routine renewals... In any case, best to do this well in advance (we had about a year before they expired), just in case a great deal on airfares comes around!

Dale
by Oenophile Angler rate this post as useful

Re: Maiden Name Passport 2016/10/22 07:30
Depending on your trip timing, it makes more sense to change the name on the JR pass voucher, but do the passport soon, for your next trip to Japan next year!

Yes, but needless to say, depending on her nationality, make sure your passport name matches all documents that relate to it. Most importantly it's flight tickets, but if she happens to be using her passport as her only ID, you have to watch out for bank account names, credit card names among many other things. Family name change is soooo tricky!
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread