Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Long story short: is Hakodate worth it? 2016/10/19 06:52
I am travelling in Japan since thse start of October. I've been two nights in Tokyo, then: Tsumago-Magome walk, Kamikochi hiking, Matsumoto, Sapporo, Otaru, Furano, Biei, Daisetsuzan in Asahidake Onsen and Sounkyo, Shiretoko. Now I am in the Akan lakes area and the day after tomorrow I will be in Noboribetsu. I will leave Japan from Tokyo on October 25 (today is 19th).

So my question is:

- after Nonoribetsu should I go to Hakodate for 1 night (october 21)? Is it worth it? And then spend only 3 more nights in Tokyo? (That would be 2 full days)

- should I go straight from Noboribetsu to Tokyo? Staying 4 nights in Tokyo ( 3 full days), combining with a side trip to Kamakura or Hakone maybe (i have already seen nikko last time i was in Japan) or maybe stopping in Sendai and visit Yamadera
by jc86  

Re: Long story short: is Hakodate worth it? 2016/10/19 11:09
Hakodate or Kamakura? Kamakura.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Long story short: is Hakodate worth it? 2016/10/19 11:31
Depends what you're into. Hakodate is a very western city because of the Meiji Period influence, so it has some wonderful old western buildings. It reminded me of Studio Ghibli movies. The seafood is exceptional in Hakodate and the morning market is perfect for breakfast.

Kamakura is completely different to Hakodate. It's traditional, full of temples and shrines, lovely walking trails and the Great Daibutsu.

If you stay overnight in Hakodate your travel to to Tokyo will be much more pleasant. Or, you could go directly from Noboribetsu to Sendai.
by Sal1980 rate this post as useful

Re: Long story short: is Hakodate worth it? 2016/10/19 11:38
I'd probably do a night in Hakodate. As 2 full days in Tokyo is still enough time to do Kamakura and the Hakone round course.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Long story short: is Hakodate worth it? 2016/10/19 19:17
Thank you for all your replies.

But I may have left out a bit of information.

The original plan was going to Hakodate, but I am considering to cancel it for these reasons:

- i wanted to do a stop at Onuma park, but after having seen Kamikochi, Shiretoko, Daisetsuzan, all the lakes in the Akan area, I think it will be just be underwhelming and maybe "just a lake"

- i've been a little disappointed by Otaru. If it wasn't for the stop at the Nikka Yoichi distillery I'd say it was one of the most underwhelming things I've seen, not just in my 2 times in Japan, but ever. I feel that the o ly reason it is in tourist guides is because it is so exotic for japanese people. Yes, for them, absolutely not for Western people, in my opinion. And I fear that Hakodate will be similar.. On the other hand, I'll never be tired of Tokyo. Plus I've never done the Kamakura and Hakone side trips.

So I think my preference was already already leaning on skipping Hakodate. But I asked here nevertheless, just to be sure that I don't end up missing something "must see" that I would regret.
by jc86 rate this post as useful

Re: Long story short: is Hakodate worth it? 2016/10/19 20:04
I was disappointed by Otaru because it was so touristy and the preserved merchant buildings were covered in banners and advertising. I take it your reasoning was that it was so western? If yes, skip Hakodate. The buildings there were actually preserved but if you don't like that style don't go. If you want to see a lake or other natural scenery you can explore Tohoku on your way south.
by Sal1980 rate this post as useful

Re: Long story short: is Hakodate worth it? 2016/10/19 21:01
It's not that it was too western. It's that it is something that in the West, at least in Europe, wouldn't even be considered worth conserving as it is just a canal and a few warehouses (not even really good ones). Plus, like you said, it is too touristy and the warehouses are either badly conserved or just covered in advertising. I just think it may be an interesting place for japanese people. Even if I appreciate the historical value.

It wasn't actually bad, though, just a little uninteresting considered all the amazing places Japan has to offer. And I actually had the best sushi of my entire trip there :)

Re: Long story short: is Hakodate worth it? 2016/10/20 08:11

So I think my preference was already already leaning on skipping Hakodate. But I asked here nevertheless, just to be sure that I don't end up missing something "must see" that I would regret.

You have very limited time, a lot to explore in Tokyo, Kamakura. If I were you, I would stick to the"preference", and skip Hakodate. I could not recall anything "must see" in Hakodate.
by * (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Long story short: is Hakodate worth it? 2016/10/20 11:15
Hakodate or Tokyo?

Tokyo.
by curious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Long story short: is Hakodate worth it? 2016/10/21 08:12
lol - Otaru and the "canal". Most interesting thing when I was there were the riot police practicing.

Hakodate would break up the trip back to Tokyo (another four hours), and could be an interesting stop, but as you have already been to a lot of places you might not find it especially exciting.

Tokyo provides a good base for a number of day trips. If you haven't had enough temples and shrines, the Kamakura is a short trip, but Tokyo has it's own selection of temples and shrines too.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Long story short: is Hakodate worth it? 2016/11/2 01:59
Sorry for the late reply, but I wanted to thank everyone who replied and helped me decide.

In the end I cancelled my stay in Hakodate and I moved directly from Noboribetsu to Tokyo, gaining a night and a day in Tokyo.

I am very happy with my choice. Even if it was my third time in the city, every day spent there was still mindblowing, especially after a very rural, but beautiful, itinerary (two weeks of hiking and driving in the Alps and Hokkaido).

Sometimes, when planning a Japan itinerary, a lot of people (me included) tend to forget that Tokyo and everything that it offers is actually one of the main reasons that inspired us to go to Japan in the first place.

reply to this thread