Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

14 day Rail Pass or use Pasmo Suica 2016/10/20 18:47
Hi
Is it worth to get a rail pass with the itinerary below as we are not covering a lot of area. Just mainly Osaka Kyoto Tokyo.
Or is it better to just pay as we go like using Pasmo or Suica?

25 Dec arrive Narita 5pm, shinkansen straight to Osaka
26 Dec Osaka
27 Dec Osaka
28 Dec Osaka
29 Dec Osaka -Nara(day trip)-Osaka
30 Dec Osaka- Kyoto
31 Dec Kyoto
1 Jan Kyoto
2 Jan Kyoto - Hakone
3 Jan Hakone- Tokyo
4 Jan Tokyo
5 Jan Tokyo
6 Jan Tokyo
7 Jan Tokyo
8 Jan Tokyo
by Roro (guest)  

Re: 14 day Rail Pass or use Pasmo Suica 2016/10/21 10:52
Definitely not worth it.

You can't use an IC card to travel on the shinkansen. You will need to buy separate tickets for these trips.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 14 day Rail Pass or use Pasmo Suica 2016/10/21 10:54
Same answer as your other thread/question. NO.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 14 day Rail Pass or use Pasmo Suica 2016/10/21 21:25
As stated, the IC cards cannot be used for Shinkansen travel. Here are some options:

(1) Just pay for the trains - Tokyo-Osaka round trip is 28,900 yen.
(2) 14 day JR Pass - 46,390 yen.
(3) fly on a discount airline - Peach air may be able to do it for 22,130 yen on the dates that you have listed. Far less if you can wait a day for travel.
(4) Discount round trip e-voucher form JAPANiCAN or somewhere else. JAPANiCAN has an ad on your right, click on it, and then select discount bullet train (Osaka) under the "tours" tab. 22,000 yen.
(5) get the JR Kodama discount ticket (must be purchased the day before, so you will not be able to just zip off to Osaka right after you land in Tokyo). 20,600 yen. Here is a link:
http://www.jrtours.co.jp/kodama/en/?scid=jtt_kepEng001

I would also suggest that you get the Hakone free pass, especially if you want to do the "round course":
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2358_008.html

That said, the IC card will be useful, but you will find that local passes may also help, such as a day bus pass in Kyoto.

Good lunk in planning your trip.
by ebaychucky311 rate this post as useful

Re: 14 day Rail Pass or use Pasmo Suica 2016/10/22 03:00
Hi Roro,

I am not sure about all your day trips (if there are more; like going to Himeji or Kanazawa or Yokohama) but I will say that having the JR pass makes your life easier. If you miss a train or want to catch a later one there is no problem. If you want a reserved seat, that will cost extra without a JR pass. The trip outside cities and around Tokyo can add up.
That said, 14 day pass probably will not pay off for you without going to someplace like Hiroshima.
Also, I want to mention that a lot of places can be closed on January 1 -3. Make sure where you want to go in Kyoto will be opened.
Pasmo and Suica will do the same thing for you in Tokyo, but if you plan to use it in Osaka and Kyoto please look at Suica.
by Liz (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread