Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Fukuoka: Tenjin vs Hakata 2016/10/21 06:10
I will be in Fukuoka from Dec 9-15. I plan to check out the local area (so including both Tenjin and Hakata-Canal City), but I also want to travel out to see Nagasaki (2 hours by JR lines) and Kagoshima (1.5 hours by JR lines). So in order to shop, see the night life, and travel outward, would Tenjin or Hakata be more convenient? I have heard Tenjin is better for shopping/eating/nightlife, but Hakata has better subway/JR access. Where to stay?
(I do not care about airport access--not using)
by 1travelbug1  

Re: Fukuoka: Tenjin vs Hakata 2016/10/21 10:42
Hakata has better JR access to Kagoshima and Nagasaki. If you stay at Tenjin, you'll need to catch the subway to Hakata station each time before heading off you other destinations.

As for shopping. Depends on what you are after. Canal City and JR Hakata City are not crappy compared to their Tenjin cousins.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Fukuoka: Tenjin vs Hakata 2016/12/7 13:08
I like Hakata personally due to the convenience in terms of getting to other places in Kyushu. Tenjin is only a small ride away. I actually like the walk from Hakata across the bridge into Tenjin. The river side is gorgeous at night and all the Yatai stalls... :)
by calrawrle (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Fukuoka: Tenjin vs Hakata 2016/12/7 20:16
A lot depends on what kind of shopping and nightlife you're thinking of. Tenjin has a lot of department stores and boutiques with women customers in mind, particularly the Chikagai and Watanabe-Dori. For nightlife, Nakasu is much closer to Tenjin than Hakata Station, but it's just 2 stations from Hakata and you could still in fact walk the distance if you wanted. Tenjin has more in terms of eating, the youth district of Oyafuko-dori and ramen area of Nagahama. Not to mention much of the ex-pat establishments.

For long distance transport though Hakata wins hands down.
You can see a lot of previews of the places mentioned above on
http://www.thejapanfaq.com/fukpic.html
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7LcPcmoSg-j4RLa6iC7ayvBAbOn8-0...

If you really want to see Nagasaki though, December has short daylight hours, so you should get a very early morning start.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Fukuoka: Tenjin vs Hakata 2016/12/7 21:57
Yatai can be also found near JR Hakata station (in front of Hotel Leopalace, for instance). Tenjin is just 3 stops from Hakata on subway. Choose by your accommodation preference.
by KyushuLocal rate this post as useful

Re: Fukuoka: Tenjin vs Hakata 2016/12/7 22:27
The two places are very close. It scarcely matters.

It will probably take less time to get to Nagasaki if you stay right next to the subway in Tenjin than if you stay 5+ minutes walk from the right entrance of the JR station at Hakata.
by Winter Visitor (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread