Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

which is the best train ticket 2016/10/28 10:11
hi forum,
we will be in Japan for about 12 days,
maybe someone can tell us the best train ticket to buy.
so far here is what we plan to do.

arrive Narita Airport, stay in Shinjuku 8 days,
one day to disneyland
one day to Fuji Q highland

3 days in Hakuba via Nagano

do I buy the JR East Nagano Niigata Area Pass ?
can I use this pass to use the metro in Toyko and suburbs?
thanks in advance
Marc
by Marc Morris (guest)  

Re: which is the best train ticket 2016/10/28 18:55
A JR pass is only valid no JR lines. Metro is a subway company. So not cannot be used on the metro.

Yes the JR pass for the Nagano trip should work. But cannot really suggest further as your itinerary is vague/void of useful information.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: which is the best train ticket 2016/10/29 09:57
As hakata14 wrote, JR pass is valid only on trains operated by JR companies, with some exceptions. There are many railway companies in Japan other than JRs, and subways in Tokyo are operated by non-JR companies so you cannot get on them with your pass. There are JR lines in Tokyo area such as Yamanote line and Chuo line. Of course you can use them with your JR East pass. Note that JR East pass is not valid on Tokaido Shinkansen which is operated by another JR company, JR Central.

JR East Nagano Niigata Area Pass is valid for non-consecutive 5 days within 14-days time frame. You should use it when your travel long.

1. Narita airport to Shinjuku.
2. Shinjuku to Fuji Q highland (Round trip Shinjuku to Otsuki. You must pay Otsuki to Fuji Q highland separately).
3. Shinjuku to Hakuba (sometimes it is more convenient to take Chuo-line limited express Azusa via Matsumoto).
4. Hakuba to Shinjuku.
5. Shinjuku to Narita airport.
My rough estimate for the above itinerary is 25000 to 30000 yen. So I think JR East Nagano Niigata Area Pass is suitable for your itinerary.

As for the transport in Tokyo for other days you should buy IC card such as SUICA.

You can check your traveling cost with Hyperdia.

http://www.hyperdia.com/en/
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: which is the best train ticket 2016/11/2 14:53
thanks for the replies!
by flipper2222222 rate this post as useful

Re: which is the best train ticket 2016/11/3 17:44
thanks for the replies!
by flipper2222222 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread