Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Which Kyoto accomodation location is better? 2016/10/29 17:44
Hi all,

I'm seeking guidance / advise as to which of the below options (they have their pros n cons) is the better accomodation to go for during my 4days stay in Kyoto (looking for a good & convenient location as i'll be travelling within Kyoto itself to visit the famous sites and also to Arashimaya district before moving to Nara)

A. Capsule Ryokan (smaller room space & location somewhere about 10 mins walk to Kyoto Station)

Link: capsule-ryokan-kyoto.com/en/pages/access.html

B. Kyoto Guesthouse Oumi (location seems very near to Nijo subway and Nijo train station but seems away from City centre)

Link: booking.com/hotel/cmap_closed

Appreciate your comments / viewpoint.

Thank You!
by Bong (guest)  

Re: Which Kyoto accomodation location is better? 2016/10/29 21:00
I think the most popular places in Kyoto are Higashiyama district (Kiyiomizudera to Ginkakuji), Kinrakuji, Fushimiinari, and Arashiyama district. Nijo is more convenient for Higashiyama (take subway and then Keihan train), Kinrakuji (short bus ride) and Arashiyama (JR) while JR Kyoto is better for Fushimiinari. As for the atmosphere, especially at night, JR Kyoto is more active with many stores and restaurants.

Personally I would choose Nijo. Travelers review shown in Booking.com for Guesthouse Oumi is quite favorable while that for Capsule-Ryokan is also good.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Which Kyoto accomodation location is better? 2016/10/30 06:30
Probably depends somewhat on the tourist locations you wanna visit. Nijo is more centrally located, where Kyoto station is in southern Kyoto.

As the first respondent said, Nijo has good transport access to many locations. Also good walking distance to some sights to see. You can use JR lines to access Arashiyama and Fishimi Inari. These can also be accessed using subways with 1 transfer.

Or use subways with one transfer for Gion, Kiyomizudera/Higshiyama, Gion, Otsu etc. Also allows easy access to Kifune/Kurama, Daigoji etc.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Which Kyoto accomodation location is better? 2016/10/30 15:19
Thank You for the quicky reply!

I have 4 days in Kyoto city itself and those places you mentioned are in the itinerary list

What was confusing me earlier was... as i've read some comments that it's actually easier to get by bus from Capsule Ryokan (near Kyoto station) vs the use of subway. But reading both your comments, it seems subway is preferred to access Higashimaya area?

Can you help clarify on this topic? Thanks again.
by Bong (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Which Kyoto accomodation location is better? 2016/10/30 15:55
But reading both your comments, it seems subway is preferred to access Higashimaya area?

YES! I recommend subway and train because:

1. You can easily find the station and the direction. As for bus stop, it is rather hard to find and there are more than 2 bus stops for each place so you might be confused which bus stop to choose.

2. Subway and train are very punctual and they are relatively frequent. The traffic in central Kyoto (JR Kyoto station, Kawaramachi, Karasuma, etc) is quite bad so you might have to take verrrry long and unpleasant ride on the bus. Sometimes some touristic place is also bad so that you may better get off the bus and just walk. Even if there are no traffic jam, subway and train are faster than buses.

Unfortunately many of the touristic places in Kyoto are not close to the subway/train stations. For example Kiyiomizudera is 1.7 km away from Kiyomizugojo station (Keihan line). Still I recommend to take train and then walk. At least you can predict the precise time to go there. Basically Kyoto is the town for walking. Once you get to the touristic place you can easily find other touristic spots. Plan your route beforehand and make shortest rides, preferably on subway/train. If you need to get on the bus, avoid afternoon and avoid central region.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Which Kyoto accomodation location is better? 2016/10/31 18:44
Thanks once again for the clarification! Truly appreciate it :)
by Bong (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Which Kyoto accomodation location is better? 2016/10/31 20:43
It's fushimi inari. FUSHIMI. Nothing to do with fish, "hakata14-san"
by fisherman (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Which Kyoto accomodation location is better? 2016/11/10 16:01
True, the subway would be a quicker way to travel since the city center does experience traffic but most of the temples in Kyoto are more accessible via buses. I predominantly travel on buses whenever I visit Kyoto. I also don't mind the longer travel time on buses since I get to see interesting sights and places on the bus. Sometimes you will even glimpse temples and shrines that you don't plan to visit on the bus.
by ami (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread