Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hiking in Hakone for Beginners? 2016/11/16 17:14
Me and my wife plan to visit Hakone this December, and one of the things we'd like to do is hike up to the top of Mt Kintoki to see Mt Fuji.

We are both beginners to hiking, and we would like to take things leisurely and easy. Has anyone here gone up Mt Kintoki before? What's the beginner trail like, and where do we start? What should we pack with us?
by Kuan Lim (guest)  

Re: Hiking in Hakone for Beginners? 2016/11/16 22:14
I have not done that trail, but I have a Hakone hiking/trekking guidebook (in Japanese) which provides details about various trails in the area, which I find reliable, though the descriptions tend to be more catering to experienced hikers, I feel.

I have done other trails mentioned in this book, and this book rates Mt. Kintoki hike as "intermediate," recommending trekking shoes. The whole course would take about 4 hours for somewhat experienced hikers, with two places for rest stops/food on the mountain tops, with some steep location where you need to grab the chain provided for support. The 4-hour course starts and ends at Sengoku bus stop.

Pack: the regular hiking/trekking gear (dress in layers, bring with you: maps, foldable rain gear, water, some food just in case, etc.).
by ....... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hiking in Hakone for Beginners? 2016/11/27 03:23
I do not know that particular peak ( or at least cannot remember it ) but as a general note there can be a bit of snow in about Dec-Feb in Hakone on the higher paths. Depends on year and route of course.

I would not recommend getting started on snowy trails.
by damezumari rate this post as useful

reply to this thread