Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japan Tourist Immigration Experience 2016/12/8 16:41
Hi all!

Can someone share their experience when you visit Japan for the first time? What questions will the immigration officer/staff ask?

Thank you
by Eunice (guest)  

Re: Japan Tourist Immigration Experience 2016/12/8 19:15
Usual things. Why are you here, what are your plans, where are you staying, etc. Once I got asked for an itinerary; I was staying for a month and had arrived alone, so I think they just wanted to make sure I had genuine tourist plans.

It's not any different to Immigration in other countries.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Tourist Immigration Experience 2016/12/8 20:41
Immigration has never asked me a thing when I'm providing my passport to them.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Tourist Immigration Experience 2016/12/8 21:27
I'm with @john B Immigration have never asked me anything
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Tourist Immigration Experience 2016/12/8 22:08
Same as above, immigration officers never talked to incoming or outgoing passengers even when they are instructing you to take picture. The customs officer will most likely talk to you and say 'Enjoy your travel in Japan!'

However in my recent travel, the immigration officer pointed out to me that I mixed up my disembarkation airport in the immigration card. Review here http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/re-ed/EDcard_leaf_en.pdf. Nevertheless, that's been settled and I was good to go.

My experience in NGO was superb. The moment I went out of gate until immigration was easy peasy for 10-12 minutes. I just had to wait for the carousel to get my baggage, pass the customs, walk to the train station at 2nd floor and purchase train ticket all within 25 minutes before settling at the waiting room for the Meitetsu train bound for Nagoya to come.

With KIX, patience is a virtue. I can't say the same in the Tokyo (HND/NRT) since I haven't been there.

In general, immigration officers has never asked anything.

What airport will you be coming from and your entry airport in Japan?
by stikiting rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Tourist Immigration Experience 2016/12/8 23:07
Of the half a dozen times through KIX & NRT, no question asked by Immigrations but only by Customs. Also I think on two trips were subjected to luggage inspection.
by TobyC (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Tourist Immigration Experience 2016/12/8 23:42
@ stikiting
OP may be thought that it may be asked in Japanese.
BC it is Japan :)
by Alice Cartelet (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Tourist Immigration Experience 2016/12/9 00:16
I think I was asked why I was here "holiday" and where I planned to go "Tokyo, Kyoto, Hiroshima" and that was it!
I seem to remember reading once they single males are likely to get asked more than anyone else, as they're considered more likely to be up to no good (like businessmen travelling on a tourist visa, or planning to live there illegally etc), but that's still all they wanted to know in my case.
by Tim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Tourist Immigration Experience 2016/12/9 21:15
@ Alice Cartelet and @ Eunice

As OP fall in line in 'Foreign Passport' section in the immigration, there is a chance for the immigration officer to pull down his mask and speak in English although rare.

The situation is OP's resfeber so it is important that she's prepared in this travel, especially from her country airport.
by stikiting rate this post as useful

reply to this thread