Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Stopovers? Questions for Tokaido Shinkansen 2016/12/8 23:03
Hi all,

I have 2 tickets that I purchased with help of staff in Tokyo earlier on. I am traveling on Dec 10 fromOsaka - Kyoto, then on Dec 12 Kyoto - Tokyo.
I have
1. A express ticket showing Kyoto - Tokyo with timing & reserved seats for Dec 12.
2. A basic ticket showing Osaka City Zone - Tokyo Ward Area. No timing. It's valid for 4 days from Dec 10.

My questions are:
1. How do I use these 2 tickets to travel from Kyoto from Osaka? I bought the tickets with help from staff in Tokyo who said that it's possible & cheaper than what I have originally planned to buy. However I forgot the instructions he gave me about which tickets to put in at which stations.
I was supposed to put in 2 tickets into the machine for Osaka-Kyoto or Kyoto-Tokyo (maybe I need to put in the 2 tickets for both trips?)
a) why would I need to put in the ticket for Kyoto - Tokyo when I traveling from Osaka - Kyoto?
b) There's no timing stated on the Osaka City Zone - Tokyo Ward Area basic ticket. Can I take any shinkansen at any time of the day to travel from Osaka - Kyoto, since there's no timing stated?

Many thanks! I'll be using these tickets really soon, so any help is appreciated.
by Boiledbroccoli (guest)  

Re: Stopovers? Questions for Tokaido Shinkansen 2016/12/9 18:06
At Osaka, enter with the base fare ticket, at Kyoto exit with the base fare ticket (no Shinkansen for this trip). The base fare ticket is returned.

At Kyoto, enter with both tickets, at Tokyo exit with both tickets.

If you are transferring to a non-Shinkansen train, you must pass through transfer gates, not exit gates. In that case, the base fare ticket is returned, and at your final destination exit with the base fare ticket.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Stopovers? Questions for Tokaido Shinkansen 2016/12/9 18:24
I stress that you CANNOT take a Shinkansen from (Shin-)Osaka to Kyoto, since your Shinkansen (express) ticket is Kyoto to Tokyo only.

From Osaka to Kyoto, you have only paid the base fare, so you can only take trains that have no extra fee ("Seat fee" on Hyperdia). If you want to take a train with extra fees, you must buy an additional ticket to pay those fees.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Stopovers? Questions for Tokaido Shinkansen 2016/12/10 03:24
Show yr tickets for us fastest for solution.
Take a Pic and upload to free image hosting service web.
https://www.thebalance.com/imgur-review-1357009

Base fare ticket/æŽÔŒ” valid for only Local and Rapid trains.
Shinkansen ticket/“Á‹}Œ” valid for only Shinkansen trains seat
for non-reserved : Ž©—RÈ
for reserved FŽw’èÈ
for green FƒOƒŠ[ƒ“
Which one? (or other type?)

For fr Osaka(city zone) to Kyoto :
Insert base fare ticket only,
no need Shinkansen ticket for Kyoto toTokyo.
(Don't forget recieve when ticket out at Kyoto stn's)
And you don't have shinkansen ticket until Kyoto,
so you can only take Local or Rapid train of conventional line(JR Kyoto line/nick).
("S.Rapid/Special Rapid" is the fastest most stns skiping)

For Kyoto to Tokyo :
Go to Shinkansen(no conventional line) ticket gate first
then insert all tickets together at one time.
But no exact yr shinkansen ticket validity so need ticket pic for confirm.

And some more important Qs
1) Which stn to Kyoto and When(What time)?
2) When and Which stn to go in Tokyo after Shinkansen getting off?
by LTs (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Stopovers? Questions for Tokaido Shinkansen 2016/12/10 05:53
From Osaka or Shin-Osaka Station to Kyoto Station,
you can take a Special Rapid train on the conventional (= non-Shinkansen) line;
this ride would last for about 30 minutes, maybe less.

The JR basic ticket (to travel from Osaka City Zone to Tokyo Ward Area)
allows you to make a stopover
through a gate in a station other than ones inside the Osaka City Zone and ones inside the Tokyo Ward Area.

I forgot the instructions he gave me about which tickets to put in at which stations.

At the Central Gate in JR Kyoto Station (around its north end),
you show the basic ticket to a station attendant
and say that you make a stopover ("tochuu-gesha");
then you get a small stamp on the ticket.
(A gate machine does not always accept a stopover neatly.)

I remember
that there was a small counter for foreign passengers beside the Central Gate in JR Kyoto Station when I made there a stopover in 2015.

When you head to Tokyo,
you come back to the Central Gate in Kyoto Station and show again the basic ticket.
Then you go to a Shinkansen transfer gate,
put the both basic ticket and Shinkansen Limited Express reserved-seat ticket together into a gate machine
and pick up the both tickets (returned by the gate machine).

In Tokyo Station when you get outside a Shinkansen gate,
your Shinkansen Limited Express ticket is collected.

To travel to another station inside the Tokyo Ward Area by (a) conventional line(s),
you should go through a Shinkansen transfer gate in Tokyo Station,
because your basic ticket does not allow you to make a stopover in Tokyo Station.
In this case,
a gate machine of a Shinkansen transfer gate there collects only your Shinkansen ticket,
so please make sure to pick up your basic ticket.

There's no timing stated on the Osaka City Zone - Tokyo Ward Area basic ticket.
Can I take any Shinkansen at any time of the day to travel from Osaka - Kyoto, since there's no timing stated?

As long as you newly purchase a Shinkansen ticket for a ride from Shin-Osaka to Kyoto,
you can use Shinkansen also on that section,
but that is more expensive due to a Shinkansen surcharge.
For a Shinkansen ride without seat reservation on the section Shin-Osaka -- Kyoto,
the Shinkansen surcharge is set exceptionally at a low price, which is 860 yen per adult.
Please note that Shinkansen is not available in Osaka Station.

You travel to Kyoto on a Saturday not during a peak season,
which means that there is no severe passengers' rush like ones on weekdays or New Year days.
So, I recommend that you would choose the conventional line,
so that you save your rail cost plus effort to handle your two tickets correctly.

Enjoy your trips!

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

reply to this thread