Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Travel from Toyama to Shirakawago n Gokayama? 2016/12/22 22:50
Hello,

My family and I would like to visit Shirakawago and Gokayama's Ainokura and Suganuma villages around late Feb 2017. Questions are:
1. How to travel from Toyama to Shirakawago and from Shirakawago to Ainokura and Suganuma?
2. Is the bus or train tickets from Toyama to Shirakawago and Gokayama covered by JR Pass?
3. Can we visit shirakawago and Ainokura and Suganuma in 1 day?
4. Can you suggest any other guesthouse than shimizu inn just in case we need to stay over nite? Either at shirakawago or Ainokura or Suganuma is fine.

Thanks,
Harjanti
by Harjanti Buntoro (guest)  

Re: Travel from Toyama to Shirakawago n Gokayama? 2016/12/23 16:30
1. Many options:
- Bus from Toyama to Shirakawago though infrequent. Check Nohi Bus which requires reservation. Then bus from Shirakawago to Gokayama and vice versa.
- Ainokaze train from Toyama to Takaoka. Then bus from Takaoka to Gokayama and Shirakawago.
- Shinkansen from Toyama to Shin-Takaoka. Then local JR train from Shin-Takaoka to either Takaoka or Johana. Bus rides from either stations to Gokayama and Shirakawago.

2. JR Pass - Train: Yes; Bus: No
Takayama-Hokuriku Area Pass - Train: Yes; Bus: Yes.

If using JR Pass, shell out for Gokayama-Shirakawago pass that can be purchased inside the bus or at Takaoaka bus center.

3. Yes. I even did Shirakawago and Gokayama tour in 1 day by first train ride from Takaoka at 5:35 reaching Johana an hour later just to catch the 7:10 bus all the way to Shirakawago. From Shirakawago, catch the bus going to Gokayama in which will return to Takaoka in the afternoon. Take note that the Takaoka/Johana to Shirakawago and Gokayama operated by Kaetsuno bus does not require reservation.

4. That I cannot be of help.
by stikiting rate this post as useful

Re: Travel from Toyama to Shirakawago n Gokayama? 2016/12/23 17:03
In addition:

- Takayama-Hokuriku Pass is not valid in Shirakawago-Toyama and vice versa travel via bus. So that pass is only good for buses from Kanazawa to Shirakawago to Takayama and Shirakawago to Gokayama.

- Based from the published schedule by Kaetsuno, Nohi and here in Japan Guide, hypothetically you can do it in 1 day coming from Toyama provided:
i) you took the bus ride from Toyama that will arrive at Shirakawago at 11:10;
ii) spend only 30 minutes in Shirakawago;
iii) 50 minutes in Suganuma;
iv) more than 1 hour in Ainokura; then
v) bus from Ainokura that will arrive in Takaoka at 18:10.

Takaoka to Toyama is JPY 360 via Ainokaze/IR that is suited in JR Pass or any other regional pass if and only if you only embark in those stations, nothing in between.

30 minutes at Shirakawago is a blasphemy, add to the factor that your bus might come in late due to traffic.
by stikiting rate this post as useful

Re: Travel from Toyama to Shirakawago n Gokayama? 2016/12/24 01:10
Hi stikiting,

Thanks so much for your kind response. I will take note of all the info.

Harjanti
by Harjanti Buntoro (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread