Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tokyo - Hakone, Romance Car vs Shinkansen 2017/1/6 08:20
I really want to ride the Shinkansen and a day trip to Hakone will be my only chance, but to save money I'm going to take it one way and the Romance Car the other way. Going to Hakone will be daytime and leaving will be nighttime, so my question is

Does either route have a better view at day/night?

by santox  

Re: Tokyo - Hakone, Romance Car vs Shinkansen 2017/1/6 12:52
You cannot see anything at night/after sun sets, except for city lights and the internal train illumination.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo - Hakone, Romance Car vs Shinkansen 2017/1/6 14:46
The night view along the route from Tokyo to Hakone is not as beautiful as it in daytime. The most popular attractions in Hakone are Hakone Onsen, Hakone Shrine, Lake Ashinoko, Owkudani,etc. They all deserve a visit. BTW, since you are travelling in Japan, I recommend you use Tourank app. It's a smart mobile travel guide for Japan.
by FloriaHanlovetravel rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo - Hakone, Romance Car vs Shinkansen 2017/1/6 16:03
Get the train in the morning as it gets you to Odawara quickly (and you can stop off at the castle if you wanted). The local train to Hakone (and/or getting the "free pass" is easy to do at the station as well.)
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo - Hakone, Romance Car vs Shinkansen 2017/1/6 18:27
I really want to ride the Shinkansen
but to save money I'm going to take it one way and the Romance Car the other way.

When your seat is not reserved, logically you can take a Tokaido Shinkansen train at less than 2000 yen for about 5 to 20 minutes.

Concerning specific short sections of Tokaido Shinkansen, surcharges for rides without seat reservation are set at especially low prices.

By the way, Shinkansen trains do not bring you as far as to Hakone; you can make a transfer in Odawara between JR Tokaido Shinkansen and Hakone Tozan Railway.

When will you travel?

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo - Hakone, Romance Car vs Shinkansen 2017/1/6 19:49
Shinagawa/Tokyo to Odawara is 3050 for a unreserved seat. Trip takes 25/30 minutes.

Shinjuku to Yamato-Hakone is half that cost and takes about 90 minutes.

Both views are pretty unexciting between Tokyo central area and Odawara on both options.

I'd probably go the quicker option n the morning so you can get started early. Use the slower option for rest and returning.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread