Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Itinerary for Japan Trip October 2017 2017/1/9 07:36
Hi everyone,

My girlfriend and me are planning to go to Japan in October of this year. I've been to Japan before (visited Fukuoka, Kumamoto, Kyoto and Osaka), but she hasn't. Our only trips together have been European citytrips of about a week long each. We tend to be slow travelers and like exploring. (Also, I've been strongly advised to limit temple & shrine visits to a reasonable amount ;))

I currently had the following in mind:

Day 1-8: Tokyo (Okubo)
Day 8-9: Hakone Yumoto
Day 9-13: Kyoto (Kyoto Station)
Day 13-14: Onomichi (Setoda)
Day 14-16: Hiroshima (Hiroshima Station)
Day 16-20: Osaka (Namba)
Day 20-21: Tokyo (Shinbashi)

Day 1: arrive at 11h20 at Narita, settle in hotel in Shin-Okubo, explore Shibuya in the afternoon/Evening
Day 2: Asakusa & Akihabara
Day 3: Odaiba (shopping + Oedo Onsen)
Day 4: Day trip to Kamakura
Day 5: Ghibli Museum, Gotokuji Temple, more wandering in Shibuya
Day 6: Imperial Palace & Ginza
Day 7: Harajuku & Roppongi (Mori Museum + nightlife)
Day 8: Travel on to Hakone via Romancecar, Hakone Loop, overnight stay in an Onsen
Day 9: Hakone to Kyoto, perhaps some exploration in Kyoto, but mostly a day of relaxing
Day 10: Fushimi Inari, Kiyomizudera, Southern Higashiyama
Day 11: Northern Higashiyama, Nishiki Market, Gion
Day 12: Arashiyama (Hozu River boat cruise, monkey park, bamboo grove)
Day 13: Send luggage on to Hiroshima, take train to Onomichi, visit Cat Alley, bike trip to Setoda on Shimanami Kaido
Day 14: take boat from Setoda to Mihara, take train from Mihara to Tamanouni, visit Okunoshima (rabbit island), return to Mihara & proceed to Hiroshima
Day 15: Peace park, peace museum
Day 16: Day trip to Miyajima
Day 17: train to Osaka, stop-over in Himeji, settle in hotel, visit Namba nightlife
Day 19: Universal Studios
Day 20: Osaka Aquarium, Spo-cha, explore town
Day 21: Day trip to Nara
Day 22: Morning flight via Haneda

Questions:
- I believe a 14-day railpass is warranted, going from Day 8 to 21, the period I am not in Tokyo. I'd planned to take a Romancecar from Shinjuku for the ease of a direct line to Hakone, but could you tell me if that is warranted?
- Have I planned too much time for Tokyo, considering the areas I'd like to visit? Am I overestimating the time it'll take to explore these?
- The last time I visited Osaka, I sort of fell in love with it, so I really want to return. However, seeing as I've never visited Tokyo, I don't have any idea if it will provide me with the same atmosphere as I found in Namba.
- If the above two points would result in a number of additional days to be filled, what would you recommend putting in the itinerary?
- Any advice on booking a hostel in Setoda on the Shimanami Kaido? It's been tough spotting them on Booking or Agoda.
- All other feedback is welcome, of course :)

by David (guest)  

Re: Itinerary for Japan Trip October 2017 2017/1/9 10:14
I think your itinerary looks pretty good.

1. The RomanceCar isn't necessary; the connection you have to take on the normal train isn't difficult nor costly time-wise. It's your choice.

2. No, your time in Tokyo looks fine! It is a big city, after all. I spent ten days there on my first trip, 4 the second, and I still haven't seen everything I'd like to. You can always amuse yourself shopping, at the cinema, or just lounging around in your hotel if you get bored!

3. Is this a question? I get different feelings from each city. It's still worth a visit to Tokyo if you've never been.

4. If you do make changes (which I don't think you'll need to), you could always consider stopping at Kanazawa on your return to Tokyo. It's a lovely city, with one of the three best gardens in Japan, preserved geisha and samurai districts, and has the unique feature of making 99% of Japan's gold leaf - you can do gold leaf craft, buy gold leaf souvenirs, eat gold leaf on ice cream, etc.

5. No experience here, sorry. Consider trying a Japanese website, or going to the accommodation's official website to book.

6. While it's fine to travel back to Tokyo the day you fly out, I would personally prefer to have a buffer day just in case something goes wrong. Perhaps shift your itinerary back one day, and save yourself a day in Tokyo at the end - always good for shopping, and you're closer to the airport for your flight.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary for Japan Trip October 2017 2017/1/9 10:30
by pirataurbano rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary for Japan Trip October 2017 2017/1/14 20:33
Thanks for the feedback so far!

"6. While it's fine to travel back to Tokyo the day you fly out, I would personally prefer to have a buffer day just in case something goes wrong. Perhaps shift your itinerary back one day, and save yourself a day in Tokyo at the end - always good for shopping, and you're closer to the airport for your flight."
I seem to have skipped Day 18 - a buffer day is present :)

"Day 10: Kiyomizudera
http://www.japan-guide.com/event/construction.html"
Any idea of a visit is still worth it, in that case?
by David (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary for Japan Trip October 2017 2017/1/14 23:43
Hi,

Please look at this website for accomodations along the Shimanami Kaido.

http://www.gambo-ad.com/english/area.php?ar=12

Also, many hotels open their reservation 3 or 6 months in advance only, so you may have to wait a bit before booking.
by Vienna Logan rate this post as useful

reply to this thread