Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

7 Day Rail Pass 2017/1/17 17:41
Hi There,
I am travelling to Japan in April 2017 and would like to know if purchasing the 7 day rail pass will be worth the cost Adult $342 Child $171. Total cost A$1197. I am travelling with my family 2 adults and 2 kids ages 13 and 10 years. Our itinerary is as follows.
Narita airport - Ginza
6 days in Tokyo - using metro trains pay as go
Tokyo to Kyoto - Bullet train
Kyoto to Osaka- Bullet train
Osaka - Airport
I would basically like to know if it would be cheaper to purchase one off tickets for the Kyoto and Osaka travel destinations. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you
by Nichole Shervington (guest)  

Re: 7 Day Rail Pass 2017/1/17 18:10
Railpass wont pay off
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 7 Day Rail Pass 2017/1/17 22:13
It will be cheaper to purchase shinkansen ticket from Tokyo to either Kyoto or (Shin-)Osaka. You can choose Nozomi for that.

Kyoto to Osaka via shinkansen will be Kyoto to Shin-Osaka then local train to Osaka. Kyoto to Osaka is only JPY 560, 30-minute apart via rapid or special rapid train.

Kyoto is also connected via Haruka going to KIX. Just check Hyperdia, Jorudan or JR West timetable for your train travels until KIX.
by stikiting rate this post as useful

Re: 7 Day Rail Pass 2017/1/18 05:10
A one way itinerary like that wouldn't pay off.
However, 6 days in Tokyo is way too much unless you have something really specific you want, so with adding a couple of day trips to someplace like Nikko, Izu, Karuizawa, Kusatsu, etc you could at least break even on a 7 day pass.

In the very least, the 3 day subway pass in Tokyo is a great way to save money.
http://www.tokyometro.jp/en/ticket/value/travel/index.html#anc03
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 7 Day Rail Pass 2017/1/18 12:04
Thank you for all of your help and knowledge. I will do some further research and plan a detailed itinerary.
by Nichole Shervington (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread