Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

max. extended tourist visa 2017/1/18 03:51
Hello

I visited Japan from september 2015 to march 2016. i could stay for that long because i extended my tourist visa two times I.e. when i entered Japan i got a normal tourist visa for 90 days. Then, shortly before this visa expired i went to the Regional Immigration Bureau to extend it. then after another 90 days i went on a short trip to south korea and when i returned to Japan i got my visa extended another 90 days. But the Employees at the airport pointed out to me that this will be my final extension. Now i want to visit japan again with my friends in february 2017. Although only for 2 weeks this time. My question now is:
will they give me another tourist visa or do i have to apply for any special permit?

Thank you for answering-
by Pille96  

Re: max. extended tourist visa 2017/1/19 09:25
Depends on your passport (country) and entry rules. Most people will be getting a fresh visa or permit each visit.

(You are allowed in the country most of the year as a visitor, but beyond 1/2 a year other laws start to apply.)
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: max. extended tourist visa 2017/1/20 00:14
im from Switzerland and have the swiss passport. I know that I will get a new visa every time I enter Japan. But if you can just get a new one every time one enteres Japan, why did the employee at the immigration bureau give me a "Final extension"? Could that just be because they were suspicious of me because I really just went to Korea to get my visa extended. That is why I am worried. if I could just leave and enter again, what purpose does this "Final Extention" stamp in my passport have? I just do not want to arrive in japan with my friends and then have the immigratin bureau send me back because:"You already got your final extention and can't get a new tourist visa."

I know this is a complicated question but i really need to know.
Thank you very much for taking time for my question.
by Pille96 rate this post as useful

Re: max. extended tourist visa 2017/1/20 00:28
I'm pretty certain you don't have a "Final Extention" sticker in your passport; if you want serious answers, please ask serious questions.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: max. extended tourist visa 2017/1/20 01:03
If enough time has passed since your last departure and your next trip, you'll be fine. The problem is the definition of 'enough time.' Since it will be about a year since your last departure, I guess you'll be fine.

The trick used to be to get a new passport but now that they are storing your fingerprints, I'm not sure that will do the trick anymore :-)
by Jim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: max. extended tourist visa 2017/1/20 04:36
@Firas

It is not a sticker but a stamp on my landing permission. Excuse me if I did not explain this correctly. But maybe if you think this is not a serious question, next time instead of replying to this thread just to mock my question. You could keep your reply for yourself.

@Jim

Thanks for your answer. I was hoping that might be the case, but i wanted to be sure. I guess if I have the flight ticket for my flight home after 2 weeks they wont make a big deal out of it:

Re: max. extended tourist visa 2017/1/20 09:00
Sounds like the "Final Extension" referred to that one specific stay, not any future ones.

As for "trick", nope, not required.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: max. extended tourist visa 2017/1/20 10:42

@Firas
But maybe if you think this is not a serious question, next time instead of replying to this thread just to mock my question. You could keep your reply for yourself.

You are not the first victim. I have seen many, unfortunately, this Firas just never ......
Fortunately, there are many helpful "members" here, so keep asking your question.
by Virals (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: max. extended tourist visa 2017/1/20 11:33
You may also refer here the reason why you are given landing permission of a total of 180 days or equivalent of 6 months for your previous travel http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/short/novisa.html.

I do believe that visa-exempted visitor/grantee has a yearly basis to conform. Kindly correct me if I am wrong. What the link has not explained is the reset of your exemption if it happened on September 2016 (a year after your arrival) or will happen on March 2017 (a year after your departure).

So whether the start of reset be on October 2016 or April 2017, I believe you are good with your May 2017 travel.
by stikiting rate this post as useful

Re: max. extended tourist visa 2017/1/21 00:43
@stikiting

Thank you for your answer. When I went to get my landing permission for 90 extended I simply had to state my reasons for doing so. And what i wrote on the request form was just that I would like to stay in japan for 90 days more to see more of it. At that time I was staying in japan with my friend. we both had a lot of free time on our hands befor we needed to go home and do our compulsory military service. that is why we wanted to stay in japan from september 2015 until may 2016. But because one can only extend their landing permission for another 90 and we wanted to stay there for roughly 9 month we decided to just go to korea and get a new landing permission once we re- enter japan. This worked out, but as I already said, the staff at the airport could tell what we did by looking at the dates on the stamps we got at the Incheon International Airport. They took as away from normal passport control. We just waited in some kind of office but they did not ask us many questions. Just why we stay so long and when we intended to leave for good. after like 15min they would give us landing permission and let us go.

@Virals

Thanks. I really appreciate the help I get here.

Once again, thanks to anyone who takes some time to help me with my issue here. I really appreciate it and am grateful for anyone who goes out of their way to find an answer to this really unusual question.

reply to this thread