Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kyoto to Nagoya. Which rail pass to use? 2017/1/22 06:59
Hi, I've never visited Nagoya before so we are thinking of going this coming trip to Japan. We stay in Kyoto city during our visit.

My question: which is the best rail pass to use to go from Kyoto to Nagoya?

I found on the japanguide website this info:

With the "Puratto Kodama Economy Plan", you can travel from Kyoto to Nagoya with a reserved seat on a Kodama train for only 4200 yen and will receive one drink for free. The "Puratto Kodama Economy Plan" has to be purchased at least one day before departure from JR Tokai travel agency.

I wonder if that's my best bet.
by dundas  

Re: Kyoto to Nagoya. Which rail pass to use? 2017/1/22 10:43
What is your full itinerary aside from staying in Kyoto? Are you only planning for a day trip there or no? Is Nagoya only a day trip?
Having your full itinerary will make sense for you to be able to come up with the best pass possible.

However, if your stay and tour is in Kansai or mostly western Japan area with just a side trip in central Japan (Nagoya), might as well just purchase individual shinkansen ticket be it normal or Platt Kodama or overnight bus ticket between Kyoto and Nagoya.
by stikiting rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto to Nagoya. Which rail pass to use? 2017/1/22 10:58
As said, a lot has to do with your full itinerary.

Also, what exactly does best mean to you?

The Platt ticket is one option, you also might consider the Kintetsu Rail Pass.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2357_006.html
Or just buy regular tickets, and on the opposite end, highway buses.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto to Nagoya. Which rail pass to use? 2017/1/22 15:59
I used the Kintetsu 5 day rail pass when I was in the Kansai region. This is a good pass if you can planning on traveling a few places with in a 5 day period.
by Russell (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto to Nagoya. Which rail pass to use? 2017/1/22 22:01
I'm staying 6 weeks in Kyoto on vacation. We usually stay in the kansai area during our stay.

On our trip to Nagoya we would stay at a hotel for a night. We're travelling with a toddler so we can't rush to visit many sights without taking breaks.

When I say best, I'm thinking money wise. With the many rail passes available for foreigners I didn't notice any going from kansai to Nagoya other then the full japan pass.

Seems like the Puratto Kodama Economy Plan might be my best option.
by dundas rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto to Nagoya. Which rail pass to use? 2017/1/22 22:15
The Platt Kodama is cheaper than regular Shinkansen tickets, but still more expensive than other options like ordinary trains and buses.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto to Nagoya. Which rail pass to use? 2017/1/23 07:45
Where the hell can you buy a Puratto Kodama ticket in Kyoto? Their websites list their stores in Tokyo. Maybe I can buy them online I'm guessing.

Re: Kyoto to Nagoya. Which rail pass to use? 2017/1/23 08:33
Their websites list their stores in Tokyo. Maybe I can buy them online I'm guessing.

There are two branches of JR Tokai tours both of which are close to JR Kyoto station.

You can buy it online, but some Japanese language skill will be required.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto to Nagoya. Which rail pass to use? 2017/1/23 09:11
Where the hell can you buy a Puratto Kodama ticket in Kyoto? Their websites list their stores in Tokyo. Maybe I can buy them online I'm guessing.

For some weird reason, the English website only lists offices in the Tokyo area; the full list is available on the Japanese one.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto to Nagoya. Which rail pass to use? 2017/1/23 10:26
Thanks for the info. After searching more apparently JTB tavel agency sells them too. The Tokai tours is inside Kyoto station. That's very convenient.

You get a voucher for a soft drink or a 350ml can of beer with the ticket. That choice is a no brainer!

reply to this thread