Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Safe to take overnight buses during winter? 2017/2/1 13:40
Hi,
I am thinking of taking the overnight bus from Sapporo/Chitose Airport to Kushiro in mid-feb and was wondering if this is a safe option?
Please kindly advise. Thank you.
by cym  

Re: Safe to take overnight buses during winter? 2017/2/1 17:50
This is a sample website http://www.chuo-bus.co.jp/highway/index.cgi?ope=det&n=1&t=107&o=2. There's also one in Akan Bus website. Download translator in your browser

If you are seeing this “sŽsŠÔ‚‘¬ƒoƒX‰^‹xî•ñ in the royal blue button, it is roughly translated as 'Traffic Information.' There you can see if there are traffic updates usually for the day.

In general, Japanese bus and train companies will keep you posted in their Traffic Information section in their respective websites for updates in their operation.

Depending on your arrival in CTS, you can also have the option to fly from there to Kushiro. Kushiro Airport to Kushiro Station schedules here http://www.akanbus.co.jp/airport/index.html.
by stikiting rate this post as useful

Re: Safe to take overnight buses during winter? 2017/2/1 20:13
Yes, Japanese bus companies offering regular services are safe.

There have been some bus accidents recently, but they involved tour bus companies, which operate bus rides as parts of packaged tours.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Safe to take overnight buses during winter? 2017/2/1 20:30
Thank you both for your reply. My main concern here is travelling in the dark night especially in this weather where there could be snowstorms, blizzards, ice on the road etc., making it potentially more dangerous, or still safe despite the conditions?
by cym rate this post as useful

Re: Safe to take overnight buses during winter? 2017/2/1 20:35
Not really, the bus company and the driver know what they're doing, and they've been doing it for many years. An accident is their worst nightmare, so they don't take any chances.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Safe to take overnight buses during winter? 2017/2/3 00:45
No, it's not safe, but passengers risk their lives so that they can travel cheaper. I'm just kidding, but obviously "travelling in the dark night especially in this weather where there could be snowstorms, blizzards, ice on the road etc." is indeed potentially more dangerous if you compare it to travel during the day in fine weather.

But if you can specify what companies you have in mind, perhaps someone can browse the Japanese internet for you to see if there are any bloggers talking about how well that company follows safety regulations or not. According to regulations, drivers are to take turns every few ours, and they are to follow the designated routes. The bus that recently suffered a terrible accident did not follow those rules, according to the survivors.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Safe to take overnight buses during winter? 2017/2/3 01:49
looking at
1) shari bus eagle liner from sapporo to utoro and
2) confuse if it is hokkaido bus or Kushiro bus from kushiro to sapporo.

Re: Safe to take overnight buses during winter? 2017/2/3 03:21
Probably more chance of you getting hit by a car crossing the street in Tokyo than anything happening on a night bus. Nothing is safe, you take your chances every time you step out of the front door, there's nothing to worry about.
by Liz (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Safe to take overnight buses during winter? 2017/2/4 18:02
cym,

I browsed a few review sites for Shari Bus, Hokkaido Bus and Kushiro Bus, and found no negative comments as far as safety is concerned although it's not that I found any comments specifying on safety in the first place. The three all seem to be long-time popular bus companies and people seem to use their various routes conveniently.

But while doing my search, I did find information about Hokkaido Chuo Bus Eagle Liner (link shown below) that overnight buses in winter tend to get very cold, because the air-conditioning can't catch up with the low Hokkaido temperature. Also, if the highway closes due to harsh weather, the bus can be delayed or even be canceled. I'm sure similar things can be said for other companies as well, because that's what you risk to maintain safety.

Either way, you should dress warmly, and you should not rely on their schedule especially if you're in a hurry or expecting transfers.

http://highwaybus.tabiris.com/chuo.html
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Safe to take overnight buses during winter? 2017/2/4 20:57
Thank you everyone for your comments. Please do continue to provide me with suggestions, recommendations, updates if any.

reply to this thread