Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

jr pass 2017/2/10 13:20
hi all

i am undecided and need help.
my itinarary is :
landing in kansai airport osaka on 17.3 and take a bus to kobe.
kobe night 17.3
on 18.3 daily in kobe and heading to takamatsu with bus
18.3 night takamatsu
19.3 daily to naoshima. night in takamatsu
20.3 daily takamatsu . night takamatsu
21.3 heading to hiroshima with train . daily mayjima island . night hiroshima
22.3 daily hiroshima and heading to kyoto with train
22-26/3 ( 4 nights kyoto).
25.3 daily nara.
26.3 heading to kanazawa with train
27.3 night kanazawa
28.3 shirakawa go and around.
29.3 takayama night
30-4/4 tokyo.

i want to buy a ticket for 7 days from 20.3 till 26.3 but i see that the ticket is 255$ (28000 yen )estimate for today, and when i calculate the 3 long distance (takamatsu-hiroshima, hiroshima-kyoto, kyoto-kanazawa) the price is 28000 yen.(without limited what kind of train to use-nozomi and mizuho.
i know i can use in the city with jr pass and also with feery to naoshima from takamatsu, and ferry to majiyama from hishima.

Is it significant savings in time with jr pass?
if the diffrent is 10 0r 20 % between buy a ticket or not i want o loot at the comfort its so important for me, and i can use all kind of trains.
and i want to know if i spend alot of time to buy a regular ticket or its easy and comfort?

what do you recommend me?

thanks so much

best regads/

by eg (guest)  

Re: jr pass 2017/2/10 20:49
You shoud use "Kansai-Hiroshima Area Pass" for 5 days
https://www.westjr.co.jp/global/en/ticket/pass/kansai_hiroshima/
For Kyoto 4d by 7d pass really waste.
by Johann (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: jr pass 2017/2/10 21:22
It seems to me you will be arriving in KIX in the morning. And please, do not rely too much with JR Pass.

Depending on your arrival and pace, perhaps you can take the ferries from KIX to Kobe (31 minutes) then Kobe to Takamatsu (up to 4.5 hours).
https://www.kobe-access.jp/en/timetable.html
http://www.ferry.co.jp/pdf/jumbo-ferry-guide-book.pdf

Echoing the same sentiment above when in Kyoto, I would also like to recommend to use Setouchi Pass on 3.18 to be valid until 3.22.
https://www.westjr.co.jp/global/en/ticket/setouchi/

Whatever will be your itinerary within Kyoto, perhaps bus pass or IC card will do. Since you will be going to Nara, check Kintetsu Rail Pass or Kansai Thru Pass if either will work, or not.

From Kyoto, there is an overnight bus towards Kanazawa so check Nishinihon Bus/Kousoku Bus.

From Kanazawa to Shirakawago to Takayama, you already knew that those sectors are traversed by bus and are not covered by JR Pass.

From Takayama, check the latest bus going to Tokyo/Shinjuku.
by stikiting rate this post as useful

Re: jr pass 2017/2/10 21:28
hi all

thanks for help.
i understood that for me its the best to buy a jr west 5 days, but, i understand that all the rides are Non-reserved seats .
as you know i travel between 17.3 and 4.4 is it a busy period?
what is the meaning of non reserved seat , that i have to come early to the station? and may be i need to stand all the ride?
by the way i saw that on 7 days in Sanyo-San'in Area all the trains is
Reserved seats .(but more expensive).
where and when do you recommend to exchage the voucher? and activate the card?
by the way i am landing at 20.50 pm in kansai airport.

thanks so much
best regards
by eg (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: jr pass 2017/2/11 11:13
It is not busy if it is not yet the Golden Week.

Non-reserved seat means you have pick your own seat as you board the non-reserved cars. The reserved seat means you pick your own seat either thru internet or JR ticket office before boarding the reserved cars. The difference in price is few hundred yens only.

If you review again the links, you will find in the lower part of the page where to exchange the vouchers.

Re: jr pass 2017/2/11 11:17
If you will be landing in KIX at that late, it will be easier for you to travel via ferry to Kobe.

Re: jr pass 2017/2/11 11:24
To make it easier for you, you can exchange any JR West pass in KIX.

Re: jr pass 2017/2/11 11:58
If you will be landing in KIX at that late, it will be easier for you to travel via ferry to Kobe.

And then take a taxi from Kobe airport to the city center, as there is no public transport at that time...
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: jr pass 2017/2/11 13:28
Hi all
Thanks so much, you are help me.
I want to know if i have enoght time after landing at 20.50 pm in kansi airport to exchange the voucher in jr office.?( i know they close at 23.00).
The jr office is the same floor the exit?
By the way someone know the price for taxi from kobe pier to dachii grand hotel in kobe after midnight?
I prefer to take a bus (my hotel is 5 min walking from sannomiya station).
I will success to exchange in the jr office and then take a lomousin bus?

Best regards
Eg

by E.g (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: jr pass 2017/2/11 13:39
Actually if you can catch the 22:00 ferry, you can get a Port Liner all right.

Still, that's not really "easier", as you'd have at least two transfers: at KIX you must first take a bus to the pier, then transfer to the ferry, and then at Kobe transfer to the Port Liner either by foot or bus.

It's also only negligibly cheaper (100 yen) and may or may not be faster depending on how well everything connects.

Re: jr pass 2017/2/11 14:54

I want to know if i have enoght time after landing at 20.50 pm in kansi airport to exchange the voucher in jr office.?( i know they close at 23.00).

Why do you need to exchange your JR Pass at KIX? You won't need it that night, so you can do it the next day at Sannomiya.

Re: jr pass 2017/2/11 15:23
Thanks so much

I dont know if i wrote it, but i want to buy a kansai hiroshima area for 5 days and activat only on 21.3 (landing on 17.3) and i see in the website that if i am booking online then i have to change in pick up station(kyoto,shin osaka,osaka,kansai airport ,hiroshima).
This is the reason i want to do it on the same day, but if you can tell me surely i can change it also in sannomiya station in kobe i will do it the day after.
I thought that its not a regular ticket so i have to change it only in the 5 pick up stations.

Best regards.

Re: jr pass 2017/2/11 22:54
Sorry, I thought you meant a nationwide pass. Of course the official website is always right.

Re: jr pass 2017/2/12 01:54
Hi all

Someone can tell me if i can buy in japan all kind pass
region pass like(kansai hiroshima pass) except jr pass nationwide pass that i have to buy it outside japan?
Would you like tell me that i can buy kansai hiroshima pass in sannioyama station?

Thanks so much
Best regards

Re: jr pass 2017/2/12 08:13
Someone can tell me if i can buy in japan all kind pass
region pass like(kansai hiroshima pass) except jr pass nationwide pass that i have to buy it outside japan?

Depends on the pass! These days, most passes can be purchased inside of Japan, except the "XYZ Tourist Passes" by JR Central. See here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2357.html

Would you like tell me that i can buy kansai hiroshima pass in sannioyama station?

Yes, you can:
https://www.westjr.co.jp/global/en/ticket/pass/kansai_hiroshima/
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: jr pass 2017/2/12 13:48
Passes are often more expensive when you buy them in Japzn however...

reply to this thread