Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

GPS Reception Mt Fuji 2017/2/11 19:44
Hi all,

I will be travelling to Japan this May. this will be my first time. I have decided to rent a car from Tokyo and drive up to Mount Fuji. I will be in neighbouring areas like Mt Hakone, Yamanakako etc. How good is the GPS coverage in these areas? i don't speak a word of japanese and don't want to get lost.

thanks in advance :)
by TheLoneWolf  

Re: GPS Reception Mt Fuji 2017/2/12 08:21
GPS reception is excellent all over Japan except in tunnels and covered parking garages (especially the ones where your car gets turned by 180 degrees - completely confuses some GPS systems). Luckily, no tunnels and parking garages are found on Mount Fuji.

Ferries are another source of confusion for some GPS systems. Not found on Mount Fuji, either.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: GPS Reception Mt Fuji 2017/2/12 09:27
"Real" GPS is a satellite based system, so you can get a reception if you can see the sky. Most navigation system built in to cars are real GPS. Not-so-real are the mobile phone based system, which depends on reception of the cell signals.
by Mei-1 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: GPS Reception Mt Fuji 2017/2/12 09:43
99.9% of road signage is in English.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread