Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Waseda SILS Acceptance? 2017/2/22 23:30
I'm applying for September's intake for SILS, and I was wondering whether you guys think that I have a good chance of getting in. My GPA is currently at 3.4 and I have a SAT score of 1470 out of the new SAT total of 1600, and a 18/24 for the essay.

Does anyone happen to know the acceptance rate, and also which other universities happen to have English based liberal arts/humanities degrees in Japan?
by sheems  

Re: Waseda SILS Acceptance? 2017/2/23 10:03
I have no idea about Waseda's acceptance procedures - i know that at my university scores alone are insufficient, and your personal statement is very important.

Anyway, there are LOTS of universities offering programs like that.
This is a good place to start
http://www.uni.international.mext.go.jp/
but there are many more. Google is your friend here.
by Dainichi Heater rate this post as useful

Re: Waseda SILS Acceptance? 2017/2/23 12:27
Lemme drop some facts.

Sooooooooo...

Waseda SILS has a acceptance rate of 28.9% and 38.4% for April and September admissions admissions respectively. That said, SILS is a very English intensive program (so like DainichiHeater said, your essay better be damn nice).

If you can get those down, you have a pretty good chance of getting in and should apply.

Keep in mind that SILS, while intended for international students is actually pretty much the same with Japanese domestic applicants. That is why you see a lower acceptance rate in April (since English is often a second-language they may find difficult to grasp) and a higher rate in September because of international aplicants (American, British, Singapore, etc).

If you like to hang out, meet TONS of new people all over the world (since SILS is also the gateway for study-abroad students to Waseda), go apply to SILS.

I'm SPSE and I've gotta say my year's on the duller side (though the recent freshmen batch sure seem livelier!). My SILS friends have fun, and job prospects aren't bad at all (it's part of the 早慶上智 after all).

Best to you,
St3cky
by St3cky rate this post as useful

Re: Waseda SILS Acceptance? 2017/2/24 06:35
one question. are newSAT Essays optional in waseda/ other g30 universities??(Engineering/science).
by podks (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Waseda SILS Acceptance? 2017/2/24 16:39
Hey St3cky, thanks for your input! I actually thought that the acceptance rate was around 17% so I had basically no hope for getting in.

I happen to come from Singapore, and I do know about the essay being extremely important, which is why I'm sending my draft to multiple people for opinions.

Again, thanks for your help and I hope that I manage to get in :')
by sheems rate this post as useful

Re: Waseda SILS Acceptance? 2017/2/27 16:22
@podks
I can't say much about the new essays since I appied with the old 2400 SAT (feel so old already ;_;). Though, I'm sure most people are going to say "just do the essay to be safe," but just go with whatever you feel ok with. At least Waseda's website has yet to update to the 1600 standard.

@sheems
Acceptance rates don't mean that much since you don't know what scores people are applying with. Best to take a look at the average scores of those accepted!

Hope you make it!
by St3cky rate this post as useful

Re: Waseda SILS Acceptance? 2017/2/28 19:48
how come ICU, APU arent listed in the sites above?? are they not official g30's??
by ole (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Waseda SILS Acceptance? 2017/2/28 21:27
Neither ICU, AIU, Hokkaido, or APU are G30 universities.
by Dainichi Heater rate this post as useful

Re: Waseda SILS Acceptance? 2017/3/14 21:07
Do any of you guys happen to know other universities that have good arts degrees in Japan? How does Sophia compare to Waseda?
by sheems rate this post as useful

reply to this thread