Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

14-day or 7-day JR pass 2017/2/23 00:09
Hi,
Me and my partner in crime will be arriving at Haneda Airport on the 23rd of August in the afternoon.Our return flight is from the same airport on the 11th of September. A total of 19 full days and leaving on the 20th.

I would like some input on the itinerary we have planned so far and what we could visit in these regions.

I enjoy (leisure) walks/hikes in the nature, exploring caves, yet at the same time getting lost in huge cities. I'm a big fan of all types of music, from indie rock to techno. My girlfriend enjoys culture and art a lot and would like to explore traditional Japan. Also seeing a couple of pretty beaches would be super nice. So far this would we have in mind:

Day 1 - 3 TOKYO
Explore Tokyo and take an overnight bus to Kyoto. Urban lifestyle explorations.
Day 4 - 8 KYOTO
Spend time in Kyoto and the surrounding regions. Traditional Japan.
Day 9 HIROSHIMA
Activate JR-pass (7 days). Travel from Kyoto in the morning to Hiroshima and explore. History.
Day 10 MIYAJIMA
Leave Hiroshima in the afternoon for Miyajima. Walk around the island and stay overnight. JR-Pass day 2.
Day 11 YAMAGUCHI
Depart from Miyajima and head to Yamaguchi in the morning. Akiyoshidai Plateau and Akiyoshido Cave look intriguing. JR-Pass day 3. Nature/Hiking.
• Day 12 YAMAGUCHI
Explore Yamaguchi/Akiyoshidai some more during the day and leave for Himeji at night. JR-Pass day 4.
Day 13 HIMEJI
Spend a full day in Himeji. JR-Pass day 5. History.
Day 14 NIKKO
Leave for Nikko early in the morning. Explore the city and surroundings upon arrival. JR-Pass day 6.
Day 15 NIKKO
Spend some more time in Nikko and leave for Kamakura in the evening. JR-Pass day 7.
Day 16 - 17 KAMAKURA
One full day and perhaps extra in Kamakura, maybe visit the Enoshima beaches. Leave for Tokyo in the morning or afternoon. Also take a look at the caves.
Day 18- 19 TOKYO
Two full days of Tokyo fun.
Day 20 DEPARTURE
Head back home.

As you can see we have planned this trip with a 7 day JR-pass in mind. I was wondering if a 14-day pass might be more in the efficient in the end? i.e Places that are more suitable for a JR-pass than those mentioned in my list, yet offering similar attractions..
Thanks a lot for the feedback!
by Enaek  

Re: 14-day or 7-day JR pass 2017/2/23 10:13
Look to me like a 14 day pass will cover your trip from Tokyo to Hiroshima and back up to Nikko to Tokyo. Start on day 4 and you get to day 17 (i.e. everything between Tokyo and Kamakura and Kamakura is only a short/cheap ride from Tokyo.)

• Day 1 - 3 TOKYO
• Day 4 - 8 KYOTO
• Day 9 HIROSHIMA
• Day 11 YAMAGUCHI
• Day 13 HIMEJI
• Day 14 NIKKO
• Day 16 - 17 KAMAKURA
• Day 18- 19 TOKYO
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: 14-day or 7-day JR pass 2017/2/23 10:23
Enaek is taking an overnight bus from Tokyo to Kyoto, so a 7-day pass as he planned it will be fine.
by ....... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 14-day or 7-day JR pass 2017/2/23 21:33
We are considering the overnight bus to Kyoto because that would save some cash on accommodation, while not needing to purchase a 14 day pass. I heard in Tokyo you need a SUICA (?), and for Kyoto just maybe rent bikes to explore the area. Also the trip to Nara should be quite cheap since it's close by right? But maybe a 14-day pass is cheaper if you add all the costs together, I'm not sure.

How is renting a bike in Japan, is it recommended actually? We will be there in the summer so it can get quite hot I imagine.

Thanks again for your help!!
by Enaek rate this post as useful

Re: 14-day or 7-day JR pass 2017/2/24 09:11
You might look into going to Shirahama and KiiKatsura on your trip. These are south of Osaka.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4958.html
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4956.html

Shirahama is a hot springs resort town, and there are sea cave that can be explored.

The hotel Urashima in KiiKatsura has sea cave hot springs baths. The sea caves look out over the ocean. Natchi falls are also worth visiting.
by ebaychucky311 rate this post as useful

Re: 14-day or 7-day JR pass 2017/2/24 09:41
You might look into going to Shirahama and KiiKatsura on your trip. These are south of Osaka.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4958.html
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4956.html

Shirahama is a hot springs resort town, and there are sea cave that can be explored.

The hotel Urashima in KiiKatsura has sea cave hot springs baths. The sea caves look out over the ocean. Natchi falls are also worth visiting.
by ebaychucky311 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread