Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tsumago - Magome trail 2017/3/1 09:53
Hi! I'm travelling to Japan on April and I was wondering, is the hike from Tsumago to Magome worth it?

The thing is that I'm staying in Osaka so I'd have to do it as I dray trip from there.
I'm going to stay there for 9 nights and my schedule is the following:

1 1/2 days Osaka
1/2 day Kobe
4 days Kyoto
1 day Nara
1 day Koyasan ( sadly won't be able to stay for the night)

Considering this I'd most likely use one of the Kyoto days (or at least half of them, taking other half from Osaka)
Do you think it's worth it or should I leave it as it is?
Thanks in advance!
by Tato664  

Re: Tsumago - Magome trail 2017/3/1 13:33
Hi! The trail is a pleasant bushwalk with limited historical sites. The waterfall is nice but not spectacular. Of the towns, Magome is pretty and Tsumago less so IMO though I was there on a weekday and it was as dead as a doornail.

I'd do it all again maybe on a weekend when it is livelier if I was in the area, but really I wouldnt go out of my way for it. Personally I thought that the trail from the top of the Ginza street at Karuizawa to the lookout (and nearby temple) was a better use of time given the hassle getting to Tsumago.

There are also parts of the Nakasendo trail around Hikone which is a pretty town with a nice castle. Or the tracks up to the castle (foundation) ruins at Takayama park (well the trails arent that thrilling, but Takayama is fun). Or the forest walks at Nara, which are underrated, I think.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tsumago - Magome trail 2017/3/1 16:07
I have done this walk twice & enjoyed it but I do think it has been oversold. I would agree with @lazy pious and skip it for the time being. You will find plenty to do in Kyoto & Nara. If you find yourself wanting a day trip then Hikone or Himeji would be my choices.
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: Tsumago - Magome trail 2017/3/1 19:05

is the hike from Tsumago to Magome worth it?

Totally overrated. Coming to Japan for this walk was a complete joke.
I could not be the only one feeling this way, but I have hardly seen anyone making negative comment about this hike. The hike is not worth the sweat nor the time .
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tsumago - Magome trail 2017/3/1 19:21
Agreed, I walked it as it is a section of the Nakasendo so it gave me a sense of the past but beyond that, it is not much of a hike.

But it is funny how it shows up on so many itineraries that are posted here, each time I see somebody mention Takayama, I want to tell them that Chichibu is way more fun (IMO), especially if you include a few temples of the famous pilgrimage. :-)
by Jim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tsumago - Magome trail 2017/3/1 22:43
Totally overrated. Coming to Japan for this walk was a complete joke.
I could not be the only one feeling this way, but I have hardly seen anyone making negative comment about this hike. The hike is not worth the sweat nor the time .

You get out of it what you put into it. Not everyone is going to like the same things. I enjoyed the walk for the history of the trail and of Magome and Tsumago and for just getting out into nature. Bamboo isn't something that grows in my country and I enjoyed getting off the trail and walking through a bamboo grove.
by curious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tsumago - Magome trail 2017/3/2 02:27
Don't get me wrong. I love the area, it is a great escape from the urban areas and I will visit again. It's just that given @Tato664's itinerary I think there are better things to do.
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: Tsumago - Magome trail 2017/3/2 02:35
Thanks everyone for the answers!

I'll give it a thought and see if I can go without taking time from Kyoto :)
by Tato664 rate this post as useful

Re: Tsumago - Magome trail 2017/3/2 05:21
When I went to Magome and Tsumago in March a few years ago, it was still a little too cold and snowy for the hike. We enjoyed magome, then took to bus to Tsumago and stayed in a guest house there. I loved both Magome (a little more touristy) and Tsumago (rustic and quaint with scenery that I loved). Even if you don't hike the trail, I think it's worth a day trip to see these towns. It's a nice contrast from urban Japan.
by btdgreg (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread