Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Studying in the country side of Japan 2017/3/4 09:37
I'm very intrested in studying in the country side of Japan. I feel like most foreigners today are afraid of surrounding themselves around real Japanese lifestyle situations. I feel like the urban life isn't for me. Which cities would you recommend?
I don't have the urban sides of Japan, but I would prefer something more traditional with a little urban.
I would also like to find a city where there are a lot of young people living. I heard that most Japanese young people move to the big cities to study. Is there a city where the students stay in their city?
Sorry for the long and confusing question. Hoping for an answer
by Tariq (guest)  

Re: Studying in the country side of Japan 2017/3/6 22:22
Urban life is part of "real Japan."

But anyway, most small towns/cities don't have universities, so anyone wanting to go to college has to move to a larger city by necessity. So perhaps you could start by defining about what size you are interested in (that is, in terms of population)?

Also, you said you are looking to study. Are you wanting to study Japanese? Informally or at a language school? Or are you looking to study some subject at a university in Japanese?
by Harimogura rate this post as useful

Re: Studying in the country side of Japan 2017/3/6 22:39
Well, if "there are a lot of young people living", then there will be foreigners too, and it won't be a "countryside".

Are you sure you're looking for the countryside? How about just trying Kyoto, or Kita-Kamakura, or even the tip of Tokyo where there are nothing but forests and rivers and artists, or even Mitaka near central Tokyo across the huge Inokashira Park?
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Studying in the country side of Japan 2017/3/7 04:08
I live in the country side when I'm in Japan and there is always others around. Hell even when we go to our house in Yamagata, surrounded by farms and mountains, we still run into foreigners.

The country side is nice though. People are mostly friendly and always stop to chat when Im walking the dog. But with the amazing transport in Japan you are always close to a city or somewhere busy so maybe the country side isnt quite as country as you are imagining.

Just remember that some places will have a heavy dialect and when I say heavy, though I have good Japanese, when I first went to Yamagata and talked to my husbands Aunty, I suddenly thought I had lost the ability to speak Japanese.

If you want to deal with real Japanese situations etc then nothing is more real then trying to adjust to life in Japanese big cities. The country side will give you breathing room but Tokyo.... takes some work.

But If you are still set on living country ways, why not try a prefecture that is surrounding Tokyo. Head to a country town in the middle of one of those. You can still get pretty country that way but 45 mins on a train will see you back in Tokyo when you decided you need to get out a bit. Plus they will speak good solid Kanto Japanese that will help you learn the basics.
by Guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Studying in the country side of Japan 2017/3/7 09:32
What do you want to study?
Aizu University, which specialize in information technology and computers is looking for more students. Courses are done in English. They have quite a number of overseas students and professors.

It is in AIZUWAKAMATSU City, not too urban and yet not too country side.
A town with population of 200K famous for sake and ramen, close to many ski resorts and beautiful natures. 5hrs from Tokyo by train or bus.
Aizuwakamatsu is known for it history and samurai tradition.

http://www.u-aizu.ac.jp/en/
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e7700.html
http://www.city.aizuwakamatsu.fukushima.jp

by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Studying in the country side of Japan 2017/3/17 01:12
I have a similar opinion to Hiroshima-san's and Guest-san's opinion.

Urban life is part of "real Japan."
Yes. Although many people say that cities are all same, it is not.
Even Tokyo has own tradition, history, customs, etc., not only sub-culture.

Meanwhile, Japan's countryside could be different from what you image.
Life could be inconvenient, you need a car, things are expensive and people are so exclusive...
(I don't mean to be offensive, it is just a thing generally said.)

So, I suggest you the suburb of Tokyo, like Kita-kanto, or Nagano.
by neko (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread