Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Time Frame for marriage in japan 2017/3/9 15:02
Hello everyone,
Me (Indian) and my girlfriend (Japanese) are planning to get married in Japan during our upcoming 2 weeks holiday. To be specific, we are currently in touch with Kyoto sakyo ku ward office. We have prepared all the required documents:
1. Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage
2. Passports
3. Birth Certificates
4. Currently filling marriage registration.

All documents translated and authorized by apostilles.
However I have recently received an update from ward office that:
' At the point of the notification, we will screen the documents from your country that you had prepared; "birth certificate" "Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage" "passport " and the translations and examine whether they are eligible in Japan. The Regional Legal Affairs Bureau will refer to those documents and the final decision for accepting your Marriage registration will take time more than a month or so. Also, please note that the Tokyo Regional Legal Affairs may call either of you directly. The call will be in Japanese, so please provide a Japanese interpreter beforehand. '

However I have never heard that anyone had to be checked by The Regional Legal Affairs Bureau. Can anyone share their experiences about how long it took for them to register marriage and / or whether they had similar checks.

Thank you in advance.
by vicky241 (guest)  

Re: Time Frame for marriage in japan 2017/3/9 20:10
More than 40 years ago - but nothing. Not even translations required. We were married at an embassy, and took their document to the ward office as-is, and in the time it took to fill out the paperwork (maybe an hour), all was done.
by Paul (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Time Frame for marriage in japan 2017/3/9 22:52
So, What should i do now?
i don't know what's going on in legal affair office, ward office told me to wait, i cant wait that much long.

Anyone please give me solution for make it quick.

by vicky241 rate this post as useful

Re: Time Frame for marriage in japan 2017/3/9 23:10
Paul's situation seems to be that they got married according to non-Japanese law (at the embassy), and reported that non-Japanese marriage to the Japanese authorities after-the-fact.

I believe Vicky you are trying to get married according to the Japanese law, correct?

One question - is your Japanese girlfriend a resident in Japan? If she currently is not a resident, then they might be trying to check whether it is a valid procedure for two non-residents to be married in Japan.
by ....... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Time Frame for marriage in japan 2017/3/10 01:16
Yes i am trying to get married according to the japanese law.

And my japanese girlfriend is resident in japan and got work to.
by vicky241 rate this post as useful

Re: Time Frame for marriage in japan 2017/3/10 08:47
I think `guest` is technically correct. But the result is the same - we are married accoring to Japanese law (the Kosekitouhon shows that). Maybe a better way to state it, is that the procedure was (is?) different. The ward office simply accepted that we were married based upon the official document from the embassy - and this made it all easy and fast. Maybe this offers an alternative approach?
by Paul (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Time Frame for marriage in japan 2017/3/10 10:07
Paul,

You "are married" under the Japanese law because your country (your embassy) married you and that marriage has been accepted by the Japanese authorities, but I was talking about "getting" married part. The same thing, we (my continental European spouse and me Japanese) got married under a third country's law because that is where we lived back then, and when we moved back to Japan we reported that marriage to the Japanese authorities - by then they required a Japanese translation be attached - so it has been entered into my "koseki," and we ARE married under the Japanese law, but we GOT married under a third country's law.

And I believe Vicky is trying to GET married under the Japanese law.
by ....... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Time Frame for marriage in japan 2017/3/10 12:32
Married my Japanese spouse in Japan according to Japanese law.
Im fro SE Asia and did not have problem with the marriage registration and waiting period. Was done in 15 min, as they need to confirm my birth certificate with the sample copy list they have.
Other than that no problem whatsover. It is a straightforward procedure. If I remember correctly, they told me to return in 1 week time to get the marriage acceptance certificate. On it the date is the actual registration date.

So not sure why you encounter such waiting period. Most likely will be clarification of authenticity on the documents from your country. They can be very finicky on documents.

Wish you Good Luck.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread