Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Best way visiting Lake Kawaguchiko and Hakone 2017/3/12 21:38
Hello,

I'm sorry for asking another question about Mt Fuji :D but I haven't really found an answer in the interent, and i also don't know anyone living in Japan.

So, I want to visit Lake Kawaguchiko and Hakone while I'm in Tokyo. I will have a Rail Pass and can use it for the day trips, but I don't have to!

1) Is it possible to visit both areas in one day?

2) Is it possible to see the moss phlox from Lake Kawaguchiko or do I have to travel to the festival site?

I don't want to spend a night in Hakone, as I already booked a hotel in Tokyo.

3) So, what is the cheapest variant to visit the places? Should I activate my rail pass or not?

Also, i will be in Tokyo during Golden week..
4) Will it be very crowed on 1 May/ 2May (no official holidays)?

Thank you very much!!
by Mara (guest)  

Re: Visiting Hakone and Fuji Five Lakes areas 2017/3/14 22:36
Is it possible to visit both areas in one day?

That depends on your pace and sites to visit, but generally one day sounds too short to cover both the Hakone area and the Fuji Five Lakes area.

- Japan Guide; How to travel between Hakone and Fuji Five Lakes
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5206.html?aFROM=5200_6900

Is it possible to see the moss phlox from Lake Kawaguchiko or do I have to travel to the festival site?

The venue of Fuji Shibazakura Festival is about 3 kilometers south of Lake Motosuko, which is away from Lake Kawaguchiko.
Presumably shuttle buses will be available between Kawaguchiko Station and the venue during the festivalfs days.

- Japan Guide; Fuji Shibazakura Festival
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6919.html

I don't want to spend a night in Hakone, as I already booked a hotel in Tokyo.

Have you cheeked the cancelation policy of the hotel?
There are many hotels which let you cancel your reservation free of fees until two or three days before the check-in date.

So, what is the cheapest variant to visit the places? Should I activate my rail pass or not?

What rail pass are you thinking of?
How is your itinerary at present?

Will it be very crowed on 1 May/ 2May (no official holidays)?

At some popular tourist spots, it may be crowded with visitors.
Probably interregional transportation will be less congested compared to 29 and 30 April and 6 and 7 May at weekends, I suppose.

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: Best way visiting Lake Kawaguchiko and Hakone 2017/3/15 01:24
Thank you very much for your answer and the links, omotenashi!! :)

I think the best way is to visit Lake Kawaguchi/Moss phlox festival on one day and the area around hakone on another day.
But I don't plan to stay one night in Hakone. I have booked my accomodation via AirBnB and can't cancell that, also I don't want to switch hostels to often during my stay.

I will have a two-weeks japan rail pass covering whole Japan, as I will continue travelling at 4th of May to Kummamoto - I know, it's a long way ;) From there I will be visiting Mt. Aso, Kagoshima, Yakushima and back to Kyoto (11th). I will have 7 days for Kyoto and surrounding day trips. My flight back leaves from Osaka.

At the moment I'm not sure about when to set the beginning date for the rail pass.. Maybe I can use it to visit Mt Fuji, but maybe it's better to have the extra days for Kyoto.

So the Hakone free pass does not cover the area around Lake Kawaguchi. And the Fuji Pass only covers one single way to Mt. Fuji and one single way back to Tokyo, right? Or is there a third option that I can use for two individual day trips from Tokyo?

Again, thank you very much!! :)
by Mara (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best way visiting Lake Kawaguchiko and Hakone 2017/3/15 04:27
There is another option called Fuji Hakone Pass, it covers both Hakone and Kawaguchiko area.
http://www.odakyu.jp/english/deels/freepass/fujihakone/

But I think it only includes one RT from Tokyo area (Shinjuku), so you will have to pay additional RT fare from Tokyo area. You can also buy it without the RT from Tokyo (if you have an activated JR Pass, then utilize that for transportation from Tokyo to Odawara, then use the Fuji Hakone Pass from Odawara).
by Nora Neko (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best way visiting Lake Kawaguchiko and Hakone 2017/3/15 05:54
Hakone Free Pass from Shinjuku for Hakone.

Highway bus from Shinjuku for Fuji 5 Lakes.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Best way visiting Lake Kawaguchiko and Hakone 2017/3/15 07:41
Okay, thank you both very much!
I can purchase the passes in Japan, right? I don't have to buy them in advance like the Japan Rail Pass?
by Mara (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best way visiting Lake Kawaguchiko and Hakone 2017/3/15 08:19
Fujigoko Enjoy Ticket (4350 yen)
This ticket combines a round trip by highway bus from Shinjuku to Kawaguchiko or Yamanakako (regular cost: at least 3500 yen) with a 2-day pass for either the retro bus or the Fujikko bus (regular cost around 1200 to 1340 yen). It also qualifies for discounts on selected local tourist attractions. It is valid for up to seven days. The ticket can be purchased at the bus terminal in Shinjuku.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6905.html

The Hakone Free Pass by Odakyu Railways is a discount pass for exploring Hakone. It provides unlimited use of Odakyu-affiliated buses, trains, boats, cablecars and ropeways in the Hakone area and discounted admission to selected tourist attractions on two or three consecutive days. Optionally, the pass also includes a discounted round trip from Tokyo's Shinjuku Station.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2358_008.html
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread