Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

One Day in Kamakura 2017/3/13 03:42
I am looking for an advice on how to best structure a day in Kamakura. Is it possible to walk to all the sights including the Great Buddha or is it necessary to take a train to Hase?
Thank you!
by MARBOY  

Re: One Day in Kamakura 2017/3/13 10:26
It depends on what you mean by "all the sights".

All major sights, including the great Buddha, is possible in a day. But certainly not ALL sights.
by Saburo T. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: One Day in Kamakura 2017/3/13 10:40
I meant all major sites. I realize that it's not feasible to cover everything in one day and it's not my intention. As I plan our day, I'd like to know if it's possible to walk from Kamakura Station or from one of the temples in Kamakura to the Great Buddha.
Thanks.
by MARBOY rate this post as useful

Re: One Day in Kamakura 2017/3/13 10:59
I utilized Eno-den, a local train that runs between Kamakura and Enoshima area. The distance between Tsurugaoka Hachimangu Shrine (probably the #1 tourist attraction) and the Great Buddha (probably the #2 attraction, located at Kotoku-in Temple) is kind of long. Even utilizing Eno-den, you still have to walk some distance to both attractions. Besides, the Eno-den trains themselves are kind of an attraction. I enjoyed riding it, it feels like running through people's backyards.
by Saburo T. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: One Day in Kamakura 2017/3/13 11:12
Thank you Saburo T. This is most helpful.
by MARBOY rate this post as useful

Re: One Day in Kamakura 2017/3/13 12:29
Yes, it is possible to walk from Kamakura station to the Great Buddha, I did it once. However, it is quite a long walk with almost nothing to see, so it really isn't worth it.
Much better to take the Enoden or even the bus. As someone pointed out above, the Enoden is quite fun, I think it's the best option too.
by ruby (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: One Day in Kamakura 2017/3/13 16:53
As suggested, the definition of "major sites" depends on the individual. Here is a tourism site that introduces you to 5 model day-tour courses. I hope one of them would suit you.
http://en.kamakura-info.jp/
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: One Day in Kamakura 2017/3/13 18:28
It really depends on the type of person you are.

Some people get off at Kita-Kamakura and 3km hike over the hills visiting temples along the way and finishing in Hase.

Some do the big east Kamakura walking loop visiting the temples in the mountains.

Some just do the temples and streets close to Kita-Kamakura and Kamakura Stations, train to Hase for Hasedera and Buddha, then train again to enjoy late afternoon walk on the beach.

by hakata14 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread