Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kyoto Hotels Help/Confusion (for May 22-27) 2017/3/16 22:56
Hello!
I am having trouble finding a suitable hotel in Kyoto for May 23-27. Nearly everywhere (we would want to stay) is booked or only has tiny rooms with twin beds available! Is late May usually such a busy time?

I am also a bit confused on the best area in which to stay. While in Kyoto, we want to see the top attractions, and will also day trip to Nara. We prefer to stay in areas with some atmosphere and to be able to walk to attractions, restaurants, etc. as much as possible - but also want easy access to all the sights around Kyoto.

I made a reservation at Hotel Gran MS Kyoto (that can be cancelled) because people seem to suggest this is a good location. But, it seems the rooms are tiny (we booked King Rooms, which are 17m, bed size 1800x1950). Even though we do not plan to spend much time in our rooms, I am nervous that 4 nights here will not be pleasant.

A lot of people seem to suggest staying in the Kyoto Station area - but it seems like this area isn't very atmospheric, but does it make more sense for travelling around seeing the Kyoto sights?!

We are two couples in our early 30s travelling together, and either need two rooms or one large suite/apartment. Does anyone have any recommendations or suggestions? Our budget is up to $250 per night per room.

Thank you!
by jax46  

Re: Kyoto Hotels Help/Confusion (for May 22-27) 2017/3/17 10:45
It's a little late to be looking for hotel rooms in May (Kyoto is a very popular place for Japanese and foreigners alike).

For tourists who plan to visit many places and make day-trips, a convenient location would be near a train/subway station, a location near a bus stop is acceptable also (especially this late). Area between subway stations Kawaramachi and Omiya is probably the most sought.

In Japan, you better get used to small rooms. I have stayed at Hiltons and Hyatts, and they have larger rooms and are very luxurious (even more than the ones in the US). But there is a price to go with that.
by Nora Neko (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto Hotels Help/Confusion (for May 22-27) 2017/3/17 13:53
Depends on your budget.

Kyoto Century is available for a reasonable price, Tokyu is a good brand but people possible think the location is not so good. Miyako Hotel by the station is another reasonable option (but even the Granvia has some well priced rooms at the moment. MyStays Shijo is really cheap at the moment.

So, a two minute look and I can see half a dozen hotels with reasonable rates and location.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto Hotels Help/Confusion (for May 22-27) 2017/3/17 16:02
With these dates, I would choose Kyoto Brighton Hotel, which is thought to be one of the top rated hotels in Kyoto.

http://www.booking.com/hotel/jp/kyoto-brighton.en-gb.html?aid=311100;l...

Honestly I was surprised this hotel provides such low rate in these dates. No, the dates you will stay is not high season.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto Hotels Help/Confusion (for May 22-27) 2017/3/20 08:57
Thank you for the helpful advice. The Kyoto Brighton Hotel looks very nice, is it in a convenient location, it seems a bit out of the way from Gion? How is the location in terms of travelling to other sites? I am torn between sticking with the Hotel Gran MS booking (which seems to be a very ideal location) and trying to find a better more spacious hotel.
by jax46 rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto Hotels Help/Confusion (for May 22-27) 2017/3/20 10:44
The Brighton is quite posh with lovely food and good rooms. I found the area a bit sterile, though it is handy to a nice pond in the imperial palace grounds. Otherwise it is really taxis everywhere, I think.

We usually stay at the Hyatt in Kyoto which my wife loves, but my favorite is the Westin Miyako Japanese rooms which are really nice, and in a wooded area (if you like greenery). It is a bit inconvenient location wise but the area makes up for it. The Westin also has a trail to the top of a hill where you get views over Kyoto. But there are some rooms at the Westin that need renovation, so you need to be careful which part of it you stay in.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto Hotels Help/Confusion (for May 22-27) 2017/3/20 10:50
is it in a convenient location, it seems a bit out of the way from Gion? How is the location in terms of travelling to other sites?
One drawback for this hotel is itfs non-central location. However, Kyoto by itself is not so convenient as for public transportation. If you stay at Gran Mfs you also need to struggle with the transportation for sightseeing: Kiyomizudera, Kinkakuji, Fushimiinari, the top three spots in Kyoto is not walking distance from Gran Mfs.

Since you are four persons, you might better take taxi to your first destination of the day, walk to your 2nd, 3rdc destinations and then come back to your hotel by taxi again. In this way you can save both time and money. From the Brighton hotel to:

Gion 1500 yen
Kiyomizudera 2000 yen
Kinkakuji 1500 yen.

Of course the fare can be divided by 4.

Note that Kiyomizudera is in the south-east most part of central Kyoto while Kinkakuji is in the north-west most.

For farther destinations, you can take free shuttle bus to Karasumaoike and take subways/trains.

http://www.kyotobrighton.com/shuttle-bus-service

Fushimiinari: Subway from Karasumaoike to Kyoto (JR station). JR train from Kyoto to Inari.
Arashiyama: Subway from Karasumaoike to Uzumasa Tenjingawa. Transfer to Randen Arashiyama line to Arashiyama.

Use Arukumachikyoto together with Hyperdia to plan your trip.

http://www.arukumachikyoto.jp/index.php?lang=en
http://www.hyperdia.com/en/

In general, Arukumachikyoto is more convenient because it contains bus lines (Hyperdia doesnft), but I noticed that on Karasumaoike to Arashiyama route, Arukumachi doesnft show Randen route which is obviously faster and more convenient. So you might better double-check using both sites.

Re: Kyoto Hotels Help/Confusion (for May 22-27) 2017/3/20 14:21
I will only add that the reason for staying near Kyoto station is the convenient access to transportation.
by PsyGuy rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto Hotels Help/Confusion (for May 22-27) 2017/3/23 02:03
Thank you to everyone for being so helpful! I like the idea of taking a taxi to our first destination. Is it easy to find a taxi or have one come to the hotel if we stay in the area of Gran MS Hotel?
by jax46 rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto Hotels Help/Confusion (for May 22-27) 2017/3/23 10:16
Is it easy to find a taxi or have one come to the hotel if we stay in the area of Gran MS Hotel?

I am sorry to say I am not familiar with Gran MS, so I googled the place on the map.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/HOTEL+GRAN+Ms+KYOTO/@35.0096183,135....

As you see (just rotate the photo), this hotel is on a narrow alley, and there is a small place where taxi can park (I guess). I think you should ask the hotel staff to call taxi. You may be able to catch one on the main street, but Kyoto is always crowded so you might take some time to catch a taxi.

The Kyoto Brighton on the contrary :) (sorry, I canft stop recommend it, since the fare is extremely low in your dates), has a large space in front of the hotel, and you can see taxis are waiting. Of course you can ask the hotel staff to call taxi beforehand.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Kyoto+Brighton+Hotel/@35.0245565,135...

If you want have breakfast, you should choose the price including breakfast (2160 yen per one meal including tax and service fee). The Brighton has given the prize gthe best breakfast in the western Japanh.

Re: Kyoto Hotels Help/Confusion (for May 22-27) 2017/3/23 10:17
has given the prize

Sorry, it should be "has been given". I am a Japanese.

Re: Kyoto Hotels Help/Confusion (for May 22-27) 2017/3/23 15:43
We stayed in a hotel close to Grand Ms Kyoto while our stay in Kyoto.
Location was excellent.

Close to the hotel are some amazing food places and the area was very nice in the evenings. We would usually be back from sightseeing around 18:00-19:00. Relax for just a bit and then go out to dinner and drinks. We really didn't spend much time in our hotel room.

For sightseeing in the other side of the river, Gion etc. we would just walk there in the morning, stop in some of the very nice bakeries on the way to have a cup of coffee.

From the hotel we got some good advice how to get to Fushimi Inari Shrine very easy by train and also to Arashiyama. The train station was walking distance.
The hotels usually order taxis if necessary but we didn't have any problems what so ever to take a taxi from the streets either. Although we usually did it to get back to the hotel in the evening or to move fast between locations.

For me... I would stay in this area definately again and can also recommend it.
Personally I wouldn't stay in Kyoto station area. For us, one of the pleasant things about Kyoto was just walking around in the little streets. I feel that from the station you actually have to go someplace whereas from our hotel we could just get in the street and enjoy right away.

There is also a tourist office close by for maps etc. although we found those in our hotel also.
by We... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto Hotels Help/Confusion (for May 22-27) 2017/3/23 16:04
I will also add that it is a bit subjective what is within walking distance. For me many things were within walking distance from our hotel, which had Gran Ms Kyoto next to it. Yasaka Shrine, Gion, Imperial Palace, Nijo castle, Nishiki Food Market. There is a shopping arcade very close which was a curious experience also.

We walked from our hotel to Kijomizu-dera on our first day/evening as it was open late. I think it was some 3 km and for us that is not so much for a turistwalk :) Plus after beeing in an airplane for 10 hours, the walk was welcomed ;) Then we took a taxi back to the hotel. It is more time saving to do this the other way of course, take a taxi in the morning and make your way back to the hotel.
It was a very nice walk with many things to see on the way. Little details etc. that we quite enjoyed.

by We... (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread