Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kyoto itinerary 2017/3/17 23:56
Hi

Please comment if my itinerary is plausible.

April 3-monday
Arrive from tokyo and leave luggage at hotel sugicho
Nishiki market - fushimi inari - sake district (gekkeikan okura & kuzakura fushimigura)

April 4-tuesday
Yumeyakata rental
Kiyomizudera - maruyama park - chion-in temple - yasaka shrine - hanamu koji dori

April 5-wednesday
Arashiyama (okochi sanso villa - bamboo grove - tenryu-ji temple - kameyama koen)
Ninnaji - ryoanji - kinkakuji - nijo castle

April 6-thursday
Ginkakuji - philosophers path - nanzenji - konkai
Watch Miyako dori at 1pm or 2pm
Transfer to osaka

We plan to start at 9am everyday.

Are all these places worth seeing?
Do you have better places to go to?

by Mcyu (guest)  

Re: Kyoto itinerary please help 2017/3/18 19:14
Looks a lot to me. When you going? as it makes a big difference - at peak times queues for the buses can be long.

April 4th
Kiyiomizudera was always a must but it's covered up now. So maybe other can comment who have been recently.
maruyama park - again depends on when you're going - if for Cherry Blossom then imo it's a must - stalls out/great atmosphere. Can see yasaka shrine at the same time which imo is best see at night when all lit up. Then you can pop to Gion for a nice meal.
chion-in temple - isn't this also covered up now?

April 5th
It takes a day to see Arashiyama alone - lots to see. If it was me I would see Ninnaji - ryoanji - kinkakuji - nijo castle on the separate day. You really need another day to see all the places you have listed.

kinkakuji is a must - most amazing temple - nijo castle castle is quite cool as well. But personally I would see Ginkakuji and nanzenji over the others

Also if you're not going Cherry Blossom or Autumn I would not bother with philosophers path or konkani.

It takes time to travel between the sites especially at peak times. For example we got a bus from Kyoto station to Ginkakuji during last years Chery Blossom season, it props took about an hour. The queues for the bus were ridiculous.
by xpc (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto itinerary please help 2017/3/18 23:01
thanks for the feedback xcp.

what other places to go to in arashiyama?
haven't researched further.

we are going on cherry blossom season, would the train/subway be faster transpo?

for the kiyomizudera area, how long would it take to roam around it?

is the sake district worth going to?
by mcyu (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto itinerary please help 2017/3/19 01:57
I love Arashiyama:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3912.html

The view from Togetsukyo Bridge is cool and along the River side.

I have never really used the Subway in Kyoto as they tend to be limited to the city centre. It depends on where you want to go as to whether you can use it. I tend to buy a Day Bus pass for 500 yen which means you can jump on and off the buses.

kiyomizudera area is really nice, lots of lovely shops - this site has some cool itinerary suggestions:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3950.html

Sorry have never been to sake district so can't say whether it's worth going.
by xpc (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto itinerary 2017/3/20 01:35
thank you! :)
your inputs are very helpful!
by mcyu (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto itinerary 2017/3/20 21:20
I found Kiyomizudera quite nice and the construction didn't bother, but we visited in the dark ( 1,5 week ago). Part was covered but we still enjoyed it a lot.

I would also say also that leave time just for being or pick some must sights for each day and visit them first. Then see how the day goes. We ended up skipping some things because time just flew by and in the end we didn't want to hurry anywhere. We simply just enjoyed walking in the streets, seeing little details etc.

We walked the Philosofer's path and though it was not cherry blossom season it was nice. You can walk it very fast to get from Ginkakuji to Nanzenji or other way around. We quite enjoyed the little streets getting to the path. I agree though with xpc that most would maybe find it not worth it but it didnt make any sence get any other tranport to both temples. Plus by then we had already seen temples and shrines that it was a nice change and a bit different.

Arashiyama for me is a full day, sound a bit too much on the same day to see.
by Lal (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto itinerary 2017/3/20 21:21
I found Kiyomizudera quite nice and the construction didn't bother, but we visited in the dark ( 1,5 week ago). Part was covered but we still enjoyed it a lot.

I would also say also that leave time just for being or pick some must sights for each day and visit them first. Then see how the day goes. We ended up skipping some things because time just flew by and in the end we didn't want to hurry anywhere. We simply just enjoyed walking in the streets, seeing little details etc.

We walked the Philosofer's path and though it was not cherry blossom season it was nice. You can walk it very fast to get from Ginkakuji to Nanzenji or other way around. We quite enjoyed the little streets getting to the path. I agree though with xpc that most would maybe find it not worth it but it didnt make any sence get any other tranport to both temples. Plus by then we had already seen temples and shrines that it was a nice change and a bit different.

Arashiyama for me is a full day, sound a bit too much on the same day to see.
by Lal (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread