Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Side trip from Tokyo (but not the usual ones) 2017/3/22 04:16
Hi - i really need your advise guys because i don't know what to do

initially we were supposed to arrive in KIX so my whole japan (16 day trip) was starting and finishing in Kyoto, however flight changed and we are now arriving in Narita, so I need to adjust the trip & finish around Tokyo.

My initial plan for the last few days was:
1. Full Day Tokyo 1
2. Full Day Tokyo 2
3. Nikko
4. Kamakura
5. Hakone (& sleep at Osaka)
6. Mt Koya (& sleep at Mt Koya)
7. Go back & spend the day in Osaka and then go to KIX

however, since we are now departing from Narita, looks like its too much of extra traveling to do # 6 (i.e to go all the way down to Koyasan and return back the next day). Instead - i was thinking doing another day/side trip around Tokyo but cannot seem to find any good ideas.

so far -
- Option A: Fuji Five Lakes (but too confusing - i feel like i will get lost there)
- Option B: Atami Onsen / Iso (although doesn't seem super exciting)
- Option C: spend more time in Tokyo (but do what? - the 2 days are the full day itineraries as per this website)
- Option D: anything else around Tokyo worth seeing? Could be anything really - just a destination that is easy to reach from Tokyo/Hakone, interesting & potentially with a sleepover. i.e not really interested in Kawasaki or visiting other big cities, could be an easy hike, mountains, nature, onsens, old small towns etc
- Option E: Disneyland.... cant think of anything else

For Fuji: I find it very difficult to actually find a day itinerary from Hakone. If that is the best option - do you have ideas how to organize it logistically?

Thank you

by adela1003  

Re: Side trip from Tokyo (but not the usual ones) 2017/3/22 13:32
Try Nokogiriyama across Tokyo Bay from Kurihama. There is a huge (50 meter) stone Buddha there in addition to magnificent views from the summit. You can reach Hamakayama (and Nokogiriyama) by taking the Uchibo Line south from Chiba or the Tokyowan Ferry across Tokyo Bay from Kurihama. Here is a link:
http://www.japan-guide.com/community/mfedley/report-1444
by Paul Hildebrandt (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Side trip from Tokyo (but not the usual ones) 2017/3/22 14:59
You could head to Kawasaki or go to Yokohama for a day.
by PsyGuy rate this post as useful

Re: Side trip from Tokyo (but not the usual ones) 2017/3/22 15:36
Bessho Onsen is nice, and not too far out of Tokyo. But what I would do is to rejig your trip so that the last 2 nights were at Kamakura or Enoshima. Enoshima takes most of a day (we usually stay there, at Iwamotoro Honkan) and Kamakura is a lot of fun itself, that would take up another day. You can then catch the NEX from there (Ofuna) direct to Narita, so you get a day in a fun area with lots of natural stuff to finish off your trip, rather than poking around in Tokyo which I alsways find a bit depressing on the last day.

You just have to be careful of the last train departure times from Ofuna, I think it leaves around 4PM which means that you get to Narita pretty early if you are taking the 9PM flight.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Side trip from Tokyo (but not the usual ones) 2017/3/22 15:41
Tokyo, the city of a million adventures.
A few urban ideas that you might not have considered:
1. Tokyo Tower and One piece anime show/museum/merch shop. Much more relaxing than the SkyTree.
2. Yanaka; old Tokyo neighborhood just north of Ueno Park, (next station past Ueno on the Yamanote) Great, relaxed browsing and snacking/coffee shop area.
3. Ride the water taxi from Asakusa down stream to Hana Rikyu and on to Odaiba if you like. You could explore Tsukiji from Hana Rikyu easily and cross the canal to the east of the market for delicious monjaki take on okonomiyaki.
4. Cant remember the exact names of each but there are judo/jijutsu exhibitions nearly every evening at the dojo just north of the Tokyo Dome entertainment area/amusement park. Or, if you're in luck, catch the Sumo matches, train heads east from Akihabara (check location on this site to be sure.) If no matches, the museum and stable area is quite interesting in itself.
5. Go to Yokohama's Chinatown and immerse yourself in it. After you cant manage another steamed bun, go running along the waterfront Yamashita Park to burn off the calories.
ENJOY!!!
by johnnyman rate this post as useful

Re: Side trip from Tokyo (but not the usual ones) 2017/3/22 20:39
Thank you for all these suggestions - all very helpful!

So I tried to re-work the last few days itinerary and incorporate all your suggestions (incl those for Tokyo) and this is what I came up with -

1. Full Day Tokyo (Mon)
2. Full Day Tokyo (Tue)
3. Hakone (Wed)
4. Nikko (Thur)
5. Kamakura (Fri) - sleep in Kamakura
6. Enoshima (Sat) - leave luggage at Kamakura station and visit during the day. Then go & sleep in Chiba
7. Nokogiriyama (Sun) - visit during the day (11am to 6pm is that enough?) - and then go to Narita for the flight at 10.30PM

Please let me know if that makes sense? I was checking google maps and this seems to involve the least travelling.

Nokogiriyama seems easily accessible from Chiba and also I can get on the Narita express afterwards. Also think we can reshuffle 1-4 to make sure we go to Hakone on a nice & sunny day

Also - does Nokogiriyama can be done in less than 7 hours (say 4h), then maybe we can leave around 3pm and go to the Manai no Yu Chiba New Town Onsen which is on the way to Narita. Seems feasible? Also anyone tried this onsen for feedback?

Thank you so much

by adela1003 rate this post as useful

Re: Side trip from Tokyo (but not the usual ones) 2017/3/22 23:43
The time you have allotted seems adequate. When I was there the trains came through hourly. Check your timetable.
by Paul Hildebrandt (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Side trip from Tokyo (but not the usual ones) 2017/3/23 05:16
Actually you are right - on a second thought it would probably be best to do 2 nights in Kamakura:
5. Kamakura
6. Nokogiriyama via the ferry
7. Enoshima & then leave to Narita as commute seems to be faster and more regular

great suggestions everyone - the itinerary looks much better now thanks to all of you!

by adela1003 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread