Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Getting a job in Japan? (My situation) 2017/3/23 06:22
Hi, I live in New York and I just want to know what you guys think about my situation on getting a teaching job (or any kind of job really) in Japan.

I am 29 years old and don't have much teaching experience other than working briefly as After School teacher and some personal tutoring to a friend. I moved to USA when I was 10 years old and although I am fluently in English, I don't think I qualify as a native speaker. (I do have some slight accent)

Now, this is my situation. Last year at August, I actually got a job in elementary school in Japan as English AT. I went to Japan and actually received Working Visa. However, I had some health condition that I feel dizzy and sometimes a terrible fatigue (I still have some of that condition, but I recovered some and is lot better compared to then).
Now when I was in Japan, before reporting to the school that I supposed to go, I panicked so badly about it and decided to go home. I didn't show up to that school, and just sent the email about my situation. Surprisingly, the school was okay about this and they said they will find other replacement. So that was the end of it and I came home to NY.

But now, I realize just how much of a bad decision it was and that I have rejected the chance that I may never even get it again in my life. So it may sound awkward, I would like to try getting a job again in Japan.

Now would it even be possible to get a job in Japan again? I mean getting an interview will be difficult already. Also since I already have record of getting Working Visa and just coming back home without actually working there, would Japanese schools think suspiciously about this?
If I somehow manage to get an job interview again, they will definitely ask me again about why I just returned home without actually working there. Would this make me impossible to get a job again in Japan?
by Arnold Lee  

Re: Getting a job in Japan? (My situation) 2017/3/23 09:30
I vaguely remembered your situation from the Forum last summer... wondered what happened.
If you are interested, why not go for it again. I hope you won't panic again.
Say it was a health problem.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Getting a job in Japan? (My situation) 2017/3/23 09:57
Hi, wow I'm surprised that you remember about this.
I will definitely try again, but I don't know if I even have a chance this time because I have Working Visa (which is 1 year from August 2016 to July 2017 so technically is still valid haha) and this definitely looks bad as they will have second thought about hiring someone who has already went to Japan and rejected it.
Not sure if anyone else had cases similar as mine.
by Arnold Lee rate this post as useful

Re: Getting a job in Japan? (My situation) 2017/3/23 10:47
I mean, you might as well apply and see. I don't really see the point in asking "what do you think they will do?" when you'll find out when you apply. If they say yes, great! If they say no, at least you tried, and you can then search for other ways to come to Japan. The worst is to not try at all because you are afraid they'll say no.
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: Getting a job in Japan? (My situation) 2017/3/23 14:11
Your visa is not valid, you must enter japan within 90 days of issue. None of anything before hand matters, it doesn't even belong on your resume. You got a job once you can get another. Just approach it as the previous situation didn't happen, because nothing happened.
by PsyGuy rate this post as useful

reply to this thread