Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Bus seats: Matsumoto - Kamikochi - Kanazawa 2017/3/25 02:07
So part for part of our trip, we are planning to visit Kamikochi and the Tateyama-Kurobe Alpine Trail....this our tenative schedule:

- Train from Tokyo (Nakano) to Matsumoto (May 9, AM using JR East pass)
- Bus from Matsumoto to Hirayu Onsen to Hotel near Kamikochi (May 9, PM)
- Bus from Hotel to Shin Hotaka Ropeway (May 10, AM)
- Hike from top of Ropeway to Nishi-ho Hut to Kamikochi entrance to Yozoo and back to Kamikochi entrance (May 10)
- Bus from Kamikochi to Hirayu Onsen to Hotel (May 10 PM)
- Bus from Hotel to Hirayu Onsen to Takayam (May 11 AM)
- Bus from Takayama to either Shirakawa-go and Kanazawa OR to Toyama (May 11 AM)

I'm thinking of getting the Three-Star Route Pass which covers the one way (only) rides from Matsumoto to Kanazawa...but where do I reserve the seats? Japanbusonline doesn't seem to have this route?

The hotel also recommends the Alps Shinsyu/Hida Open Ticket (10,290 Yen) which offers unlimited rides b/w Matsumoto, kamikochi and Takayama...but doesn't cover the trip to Kanagawa/Shirakawa-go, or Toyama...and though it's good for 4 days, we don't need it for that long....plus we can only get this pass at Takayama station, when we'll be coming from Matsumoto...

Also: can Alpico passes be used on Nohi Buses?

Any other options?
by skinnypup  

Re: Bus seats: Matsumoto - Kamikochi - Kanazawa 2017/3/25 12:02
but where do I reserve the seats?

Seat reservations are not possible on buses between Matsumoto and Takayama. They are only possible between Takayama and Shirakawago.

Also: can Alpico passes be used on Nohi Buses?

What pass are you referring to?

Note that Alpico and Nohi cooperate on certain routes, mainly the Matsumoto-Takayama route. Passes covering such routes will likely cover buses operated by both companies.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Bus seats: Matsumoto - Kamikochi - Kanazawa 2017/3/25 17:35
You cannot reserve seats of the buses between Matsumoto and Takayama. They are on a first-come-first-served basis.
I share your concern, beacause I was planning, myself, to go from Matsumoto to Takayama in April. I confirmed no reservation system, inquiring twice at the office in Matsumoto on the telephone (I am a Japanese). When I telephoned for the third time, because I had found on one page of their internet site an information of reservation possibility, a lady of the office (experienced one, I guessed from her voice) answered me that the buses of the route were, ordinarily, not so crowded, and that, in the case of excess passengers, they would prepare another bus (!). I didn't dare to ask her what it would be in the case of some excess passengers. Anyway, on this answer, I stopped worrying, though not quite satisfactorily. I am still now not totally sure of additional service, but I (and you if you like) have a promise although it was by word of mouth. Anyway, it is still better to go with enough time before the departure time.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Bus seats: Matsumoto - Kamikochi - Kanazawa 2017/3/26 08:22
I'm pretty sure you can purchase the Alps Wide Pass in the Matsumoto bus station (not 100% positive, but this brochure says you can).

https://www.alpico.co.jp/en/images/home/pdf/wide_alps_free_passport_en...

I bought ours last September at the Takayama bus station next door to the JR Station.

You'll have to do the math to figure out if it is worthwhile to purchase this vs individual tickets. But is sure is convenient, rather than getting your coins out for the bus. My bet is that it will pay off, since you're going all the way to Shirakawa-go. You just need to purchase a separate Nouhi ticket from Shirakawa-go to Kanazawa, which can be reserved.

The buses we took were all about 3/4 full, but I'm not sure about May. Note that the buses all have extra seats that fold out into the aisle, so that if full, they can cram extra people into the aisle.

Dale
by Oenophile Angler rate this post as useful

Re: Bus seats: Matsumoto - Kamikochi - Kanazawa 2017/3/26 08:30
Oh, and reservations are definitely not accepted between Matsumoto and Takayama.

Here is some more information on the Wide pass:

http://www.alpico.co.jp/access/ticket/006.html

Dale
by Oenophile Angler rate this post as useful

reply to this thread