Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kyushu JR Pass & Sanyo Shikansen 2017/3/26 13:37
I am planning a trip from Hakata to Kokura, and buying the Kyushu JR Pass. I'm looking at the Hyperdia website for the train routes. But how do I know which Shinkansen trains running on the Sanyo Shikansen route to avoid? Is it true that I only need to avoid the Nozomi & Mizuho lines?
by lilac113  

Re: Kyushu JR Pass & Sanyo Shikansen 2017/3/26 14:10
The Sanyo Shinkansen is not covered, at all! You should take limited express, rapid or local trains between Kokura and Hakata, instead.

The coverage area is explained here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361_05.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Kyushu JR Pass & Sanyo Shikansen 2017/3/26 14:39
Does it mean when travelling from Hakata to Kokura, I'm not allowed to all types of Shikansen?

How about the Kodama and Sakura shikansens?
by lilac113 rate this post as useful

Re: Kyushu JR Pass & Sanyo Shikansen 2017/3/26 14:50
No shinkansans north of Hakata.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyushu JR Pass & Sanyo Shikansen 2017/3/26 18:36
As stated on the official page for the Kyūshū Rail Pass (https://www.jrkyushu.co.jp/english/railpass/railpass.jsp):

JR Kyushu Rail Passes do not apply to Shinkansen (bullet train) rides between Hakata and Kokura since this portion is a part of the Sanyo Shinkansen operated by the JR West.

That said, Kokura is only 50 minutes or less away from Hakata by limited express train, so travel time shouldn't be a major concern unless you're working with an extremely tight itinerary.

Cheers.
by Diego de Manila rate this post as useful

Re: Kyushu JR Pass & Sanyo Shikansen 2017/3/26 22:15
thank you all for your clarification. I understand now!
by lilac113 rate this post as useful

Re: JR Kyushu Passes and Shinkansen 2017/3/26 22:28
Hakata Station and Kokura Station are connected by both Shinkansen and non-Shinkansen lines.

: The Sanyo Shinkansen, which is operated by JR West.
: The Kagoshima Main Line, which is operated by JR Kyushu.

On the Kagoshima Main Line, Hakata and Kokura are connected by Limited Express Sonic in about 40 to 65 minutes, from morning to night.
(You can choose also a slower service such as Rapid.)

Among the three versions of JR Kyushu Rail Passes, All Kyushu Area Pass and Northern Kyushu Area Pass cover this non-Shinkansen section, including when you use a Limited Express service.

JR West has nothing to do with JR Kyushu Rail Passes, so these passes are not valid on the Sanyo Shinkansen.

"Nozomi" "Hikari" "Kodama" "Mizuho" "Sakura" and "Tsubame" are names of Shinkansen train services; none of these proper nouns refers to a Shinkansen line.
There is neither Mizuho Shinkansen line nor Sakura Shinkansen line.

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

reply to this thread